Blackshirt Update.

Warrior10

Blackshirts used to be given to 11 guys for the year. Wear them, get your teeth kicked in, own it, vow to do better, keep wearing them. Make them proud.

In the Bo Pelini era, whoops we got torched? Well better to quit and take them off.

yeah, players also earned the right to wear them by starting for a great defense. not for shutting down the third string qb or whatever for illinois or whoever.

i do not remember when they were handed out, but i am pretty sure it was not against an impressive team.

• Fire 1

Blackshirts used to be given to 11 guys for the year. Wear them, get your teeth kicked in, own it, vow to do better, keep wearing them. Make them proud.

In the Bo Pelini era, whoops we got torched? Well better to quit and take them off.

yeah, players also earned the right to wear them by starting for a great defense. not for shutting down the third string qb or whatever for illinois or whoever.

i do not remember when they were handed out, but i am pretty sure it was not against an impressive team.

I never thought the Blackshirt tradition would be as sad as the "Bo Pelini QB Graveyard" here but here we are.

• Fire 2

Defensive coordinator John Papuchis said after practice Tuesday it was a collective decision between he and the unit. But he declined to elaborate any further.

"We ended up making the decision as a group, as I talked to the players (about) how we wanted to handle it and I prefer to keep that in house," Papuchis said.

Hey uh, Pap?

If some of the players aren't wearing them and some are, then it's not really a collective decision, is it?

Even a high school coach would have had enough sense to send his squad back to the locker room, telling them to come back out when they all wanted to be on the same team.

There isn't a new coordinator in the world who could fix this mess. The tightest staff in America might also be the dumbest. Of course there isn't much incentive to improve when you knock down six figures for simply saying "yes" to Bo Pelini.

• Fire 3

Defensive coordinator John Papuchis said after practice Tuesday it was a collective decision between he and the unit. But he declined to elaborate any further.

"We ended up making the decision as a group, as I talked to the players (about) how we wanted to handle it and I prefer to keep that in house," Papuchis said.

Hey uh, Pap?

If some of the players aren't wearing them and some are, then it's not really a collective decision, is it?

Even a high school coach would have had enough sense to send his squad back to the locker room, telling them to come back out when they all wanted to be on the same team.

There isn't a new coordinator in the world who could fix this mess. The tightest staff in America might also be the dumbest. Of course there isn't much incentive to improve when you knock down six figures for simply saying "yes" to Bo Pelini.

I’m not going to say what the right thing that needs to be done because frankly, I don't really care. I can tell you what is going is the worst possible scenario. This is embarrassing. Who is in charge?

Hey uh, Pap?

Agree. But one thing. i think he means the collective part was the decision of who wears and doesnt wear. They all agreed who gets to and who doesnt.

They should be earned, not just handed out like oranges after an 8 year old's soccer game.

And they should also know that right now, they aren't deserved based on the performance of Saturday's game...

They used to be earned in fall camp. You earned one by earning a starting spot. This is what should happen.

I agree. They earned them for being the defensive starters. They are the main group going into the season opener and building on it throughout the year. It has been altered through a misperception of how they perform that usually occurs against a less talented opponent.

I never thought the Blackshirt tradition would be as sad as the "Bo Pelini QB Graveyard" here but here we are.

Bo came in and backlashed the blackshirt tradition because the defense did not perform to the standards that reflected him and the results he wanted. He did not embrace a simple known tradition among college football historians. It was all about him and his pride. Therefor, he ended the tradition that started long before he was aware of the Husker lore and created his own philosophy. Ego and pride replaced honor and respect (tradition). He would not last 15 minutes as a Samurai.