****** What Did We Learn - Minny Edition ******

walksalone

To me, this team checked out mentally last week on everything in regards to scheme, philosophy, etc when it comes to this staff. Ala Kstate '07, I think they came out today with full intentions to get this one, but again, when your coaches constantly fail to put you in proper positions to succeed, at some point you say "f#*k this. I didnt sign up for this sh#t". Look at our talent on the defensive side. Christ al mighty. There's no excuse. it's being W A S T E D. .

Come on man! Beck called that awesome outside run to Cross, the pass for the sack on 2nd and 1 and completely abandoned the heavy sets so we could "spread their D out and take what they give us".............SARCASM.

The staff again cost us that game. beck and his stupid game plan......Even the wife said today that beck doesn't do anything to set something up and stops what's working and sticks with what isn't. Too many times Beck has mentioned the "I thought they'd get it/fix it or what ever he says.......

Bo says the players didn't deserve to win. Seems like a slap in the face considering how hard these guys work to compete at this level. I say the only reason the score was even that close is because the players fought their asses off to win that game. They just lack some guidance.

Never in my life have I heard a staff throw their players under the bus like these guys do. It's a damn shame that so many just seem to accept it.

Yeah, can't believe a coach who "points the thumb first" would be pointing the fingers instead.

True, did Bo say this today? So the fans are stupid and his players didn't deserve to win, on Senior day in spite of your dumba$$ OC and defensive calls......

Bo said once when this whole 2gap thing came under fire once last year that it wasnt two gap. That we "play heavy in our gap contro". Whatever that means. All in know is in high school, we played 2 gap-it's what it was. it's what we called it. it's what we did-with our DT's as well. And it looks exactly the same as what Nebraka does.

Now, the 2 gap has a place situationally like a lot of things do. But as an overall identity, and something that we just NEVER GO AWAY FROM, it's susceptible. It allows the offense to dictate and puts our personel into a far more reaction mode, instead of instinctive. Against teams with the run strengths of Wiscy, Minny, and Iowa you have to have the ability at times to penetrate, disrupt time and paths and wreak havoc. What upsets me about that, is that in guys liek Collins, Valentine, and Gregory we have the talent do such. Now, on the backside, sure, that aggressive play can leave you susceptible to things like screens and traps and the such, but hows about we stop what theyre doing NOW before we worry about what they could do later, first? That's the whole problem with this staff. And actually, it goes for both sides of the ball.

Bo said once when this whole 2gap thing came under fire once last year that it wasnt two gap. That we "play heavy in our gap contro". Whatever that means. All in know is in high school, we played 2 gap-it's what it was. it's what we called it. it's what we did-with our DT's as well. And it looks exactly the same as what Nebraka does.

Now, the 2 gap has a place situationally like a lot of things do. But as an overall identity, and something that we just NEVER GO AWAY FROM, it's susceptible. It allows the offense to dictate and puts our personel into a far more reaction mode, instead of instinctive. Against teams with the run strengths of Wiscy, Minny, and Iowa you have to have the ability at times to penetrate, disrupt time and paths and wreak havoc. What upsets me about that, is that in guys liek Collins, Valentine, and Gregory we have the talent do such. Now, on the backside, sure, that aggressive play can leave you susceptible to things like screens and traps and the such, but hows about we stop what theyre doing NOW before we worry about what they could do later, first? That's the whole problem with this staff. And actually, it goes for both sides of the ball.

I agree with you. Sadly, we are susceptible to the bolded already. You are correct in that our staff out thinks themselves all the time i.e. on D, if we blitz, they might have anticipated this and planned for a shuffle pass.....same on O. beck has admitted as much season after season and more of the same...

I learned that Bo is 5-19 against top 25 teams at Nebraska. One game short of a 20% winning percentage.

Wow. I didnt know that. That cannot be explained away. It HAS to be him losing coaching battles. Assuming we have top 30 talent, it means he's losing the coaching battle more than the other team is just faster/ better.

Wow, 5-19. Thsts just turrrrrrible. I mean , just wow

How many of the 19 losses turned out to be blow-outs where we did an embarrassing, National TV melt down?

I can't remember one game in the last 7 years where I sat back and said "Wow we really out coached the other team!". Never, not once.

Please someone prove me wrong, maybe it's happened and I just don't remember.

I'm not gonna sit here and name all the games we absolutely crushed the other team. We have "Pelini QB graveyard" for a reason.

There have certainly been masterful game plans and huge epic comebacks that were a direct result of coaching adjustments. I mean, c'mon ....

But 5-19 agaisnt top 25 teams, assuming we have equal to near equal talent? Man, seems like we should've been more near .500

But don't be silly. Bo can coach. He just has a failure agaisnt top 25 of EPIC proportions.

• Fire 1

Bo has to stay. Who are we going to get? Really? Bielema just won again and has his pigs heading in the right direction. 13 years ago, the fan base ran Bohl out of town after Colorado stuck us for 62. Gruden and Cowher would chuckle at the notion. Mogolia is 63 years old. Frost would be the same as Bo 7 years ago. A hot commodity.

I want change to, but at the coordinator level.

If Bo won't get rid of his guys, then yeah there may be a change and should be, BUT watch out what ya wish for.

Hey guys, Badger fan here and no I'm not here to troll or fight.

Anyways I predicted the game would go the way it did. No my prediction was not based off my intuitive understanding of the game but rather on an analysis of the Wisconsin-Nebraska game by a blogger, can't remember the name of the article...

Anyways again Bo stubbornly trotted out his 2 gap defensive line alignment against Minnesota's power run game like he did against Wisconsin the week before. The Blackshirts, yes your defensive line starters deserve that title, held up well throughout first quarter but then started to show signs of wearing down in second quarter. By the 4th quarter they were physically broken and unable to control the line of scrimmage. This happened against Minny last year as well as in each of the 3 blowouts against Wisconsin. The trouble is that Bo's 2 gap alignment puts too much stress on your DTs, who have to stack up the guards all game long. This defensive style also prevents the use of an effective rotation since the backups at a developmental program like Nebbie generally just aren't good enough to play 2 gap effectively. Thus Nebraska's defensive line starters are left to be leaned on, worn down and beaten until they break physically and mentally.

In contrast to Nebraska's effort today consider Iowa. Iowa used more conservative 1 gap alignments and kept rotating their DTs throughout the game keeping them fresh. Whereas Nebraska's defensive front broke in the 3rd quarter(against Wisconsin) Iowa's didn't start wearing down until the end of the 4th quarter, but even then they were fighting like hell.

Nebraska needs a new HC new DC and a new defensive scheme. Start playing more 1 gap and start rotating your D-line guys to keep them fresh. Otherwise you guys just aren't going to be able to contend defensively against the power run offenses in this league.

This actually makes sense at first glance. When we had Suh, who is just an absolute freak of nature, we had the best freakin damn defense in the world. Yeah, valentine and curry and those guys are way better than we had recently; but man--we get exposed bad against scrambling QBs ( too fast for our big DL) or agaisnt power run teams (ie WI, MN, Iowa, MSU).

When we play slightly less talented opponents we pretty much crush em, specially in the trenches. When we play equal to superior talent, we get rolled. #5-19

Bo has to stay. Who are we going to get? Really? Bielema just won again and has his pigs heading in the right direction. 13 years ago, the fan base ran Bohl out of town after Colorado stuck us for 62. Gruden and Cowher would chuckle at the notion. Mogolia is 63 years old. Frost would be the same as Bo 7 years ago. A hot commodity.

I want change to, but at the coordinator level.

If Bo won't get rid of his guys, then yeah there may be a change and should be, BUT watch out what ya wish for.

Good god man. Seriously. If your search and hopes end with Gruden, Cowher, Moglia, Frost, and Bohl, youre f'd either way.

I hope we learned that we need better coordinators. Keep Bo, but if he can't see that his staff needs some fixing, he will need to go as well.

You don't keep the head guy. He ran this tanker into the reef.

Interesting analogy. I'd argue that Callahan ripped open the hull and Pelini was brought in as a great apprentice welder to repair the damage. The repair was pretty good initially, but once the repair started to leak, he seems to only be able to fallback to his original leaky design. NU probably needs someone with a different perspective to fully complete the repair job.

• Fire 1