Coaching Prospects Poll

New Head Coach  

177 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

One question for you guys. Coach or CEO? A lot of you want a CEO instead of a micromanager. But a lot of you say our coordinators and position coaches suck and need to leave and/or get s**t canned. If they are so bad and suck, doesn't every CEO have to micromanage?

Just thinking out loud.

I'd take an awesome CEO any day as long as he surrounded himself with top notch assistants. That not only recruit their ass off, but can also develop talent and use said talent in the way it's intended.

Rick Neuheisel: You want a hell of a quarterback? Hire Rick after he has racked up half the family estate in Vegas, and just turn him loose on the QB's. Youll HAVE a hell of a quarterback!

Funny you say his name, I've actually quietly wished for one of his former QBs to join the staff as early as next season. Former NFL QB, has strong ties to Texas HS, as he is currently a coach for a Texas HS team with his Dad. For me, the offense I'd like to run, very similar to Stanford, power running game, smart QB that can pass the ball and maybe run if he needs to, I think this coach would be a good fit for that system. Problem is, most Husker fans would lambaste the hire of Koy Detmer.

Article on Huskermax that just lists several coach possibilities, I understand its Huskermax, but I thought it was a decent article. http://forum.huskermax.com/vbbs/content.php?818-Pernell-Coaching-candidates-Eichorst-should-consider

I think he named every coach in the country so that he can say 'i told ya so' when we make a change.

I read clear to the end when he said to keep Garrison but didn't list Brown.

Most of this article is a pipe dream that completely discounts the fact that whoever we hire likely will not have a relationship with any of these guys. Especially when he pushes for Frost as HC and then lists a multitude of coaches that he pulls out of left field. I don't like the nepotism that existed within Bo's staff, but don't want this next one to be a hodgepodge of people pulled from around the country with little to no experience with one another or the scheme - which is my primary concern with Frost - his lack of connections within the coaching community. He's not bringing staff from Oregon, he's going to bring a handful of grad assistants with him instead. Sound familiar?

Article on Huskermax that just lists several coach possibilities, I understand its Huskermax, but I thought it was a decent article. http://forum.huskermax.com/vbbs/content.php?818-Pernell-Coaching-candidates-Eichorst-should-consider

I think he named every coach in the country so that he can say 'i told ya so' when we make a change.

Most of this article is a pipe dream that completely discounts the fact that whoever we hire likely will not have a relationship with any of these guys. Especially when he pushes for Frost as HC and then lists a multitude of coaches that he pulls out of left field. I don't like the nepotism that existed within Bo's staff, but don't want this next one to be a hodgepodge of people pulled from around the country with little to no experience with one another or the scheme - which is my primary concern with Frost - his lack of connections within the coaching community. He's not bringing staff from Oregon, he's going to bring a handful of grad assistants with him instead. Sound familiar?

Towards the bottom he kind of sums it up. Thought there were quite a few similarities from what you see on the board, no saying the article is gospel, just that it was a decent read.

Towards the bottom he kind of sums it up. Thought there were quite a few similarities from what you see on the board, no saying the article is gospel, just that it was a decent read.

Ya, i think it will be one of those 7 or 8. doubt you'll see a Cally hire none of us saw coming. I still think the staff they assemble is far more important than the HC. So I want an HC that is able to put together a rockstar staff of quality assistants that recruit well. The rules out Frost as HC IMO.

Del Rio could put the staff together, but I don't think he could do the CEO side of things as a college coach. Kirby Smart is intriguing, but I doubt he's plucking anyone from Alabama and his entire coaching tree is centered around Saban and most of those guys are either coordinators or HCs already. Not sure what kind of staff he's bring together.

Dan Quin and Greg Roman are just downgrades to Del Rio. Mel Tucker is intriguing w/ his ties to the B1G and the upper midwest - but we're still going to be recruiting the south.

Graham, Hudspeth, and McElwain are interesting in a "jerry kill" sort of way - in that they'd like bring the bulk of their staff with them. That continuity would help with the transition.

Ya, i think it will be one of those 7 or 8. doubt you'll see a Cally hire none of us saw coming. I still think the staff they assemble is far more important than the HC. So I want an HC that is able to put together a rockstar staff of quality assistants that recruit well. The rules out Frost as HC IMO.

Del Rio could put the staff together, but I don't think he could do the CEO side of things as a college coach. Kirby Smart is intriguing, but I doubt he's plucking anyone from Alabama and his entire coaching tree is centered around Saban and most of those guys are either coordinators or HCs already. Not sure what kind of staff he's bring together.

Dan Quin and Greg Roman are just downgrades to Del Rio. Mel Tucker is intriguing w/ his ties to the B1G and the upper midwest - but we're still going to be recruiting the south.

Graham, Hudspeth, and McElwain are interesting in a "jerry kill" sort of way - in that they'd like bring the bulk of their staff with them. That continuity would help with the transition.

Agreed, I posted somewhere last year that I thought Del Rio would be a good hire. I think with the connections and stuff that he's got from years of coaching would set us up nicely in the coordinator department. I could see a similar transition to what UCLA experienced with hiring Mora. The CEO part is the major question mark, but I do like how he fits. Plus we all know that recruits love to play for someone with any sort of NFL background

Del Rio: Is this an upgrade? Sounds a bit too familiar - berating refs, overall losing record, lose in the big games (playoffs), and no division championships (as in no conference championships)

Maybe he's a great DC but we might have the same issue in regards to a coach as a CEO not getting it done.

From Wiki:

In 2003, he was named head coach of the Jacksonville Jaguars, a position he held until November 29, 2011. In that capacity he set the NFL record for the longest tenure of any coach without winning a division championship—over eight years.

On November 29, 2011, Del Rio was fired as Jacksonville's head coach. He left with a regular season record of 68–71 and a 1–2 record in two playoff appearances over his nine years.[9]

On January 27, 2012, Del Rio was hired as the new defensive coordinator of the Denver Broncos. In week two, Del Rio was fined $25,000 for berating the replacement officials.[14]

I haven't heard much discussion on Mark Richt from Georgia. An Omaha guy who others have said like Nebraska. He seems to have a personality / philosophy closer to Tom's and would present a totally different image then what we get out of Bo. Could he be a good fit and would he want to leave the SEC for Big 10 country. He's won a couple SEC championships, many div championships and has finished in the top 10 6 times. He may be even mores successful here than in the brutal SEC. I like his stance on the SEC pattern of 'oversigning' as noted in the last sentence below.

From Wiki:

Richt was hired as head coach of the Georgia Bulldogs before the 2001 season, replacing Jim Donnan. Richt recounted the moments leading up to being named UGA's head coach in an interview, saying:

In December 2000, [the University of Georgia's] President Michael Adams and then Athletic Director Coach Vince Dooley came to Tallahassee and interviewed me for the position of Head Coach of the UGA Bulldogs. After many hours of prayer, Coach Dooley called me and I accepted the position. We moved to Athens in January 2001 and have truly been blessed. We have a great church, an outstanding school for the children and a wonderful staff. Throughout all of life I try to live according to COLOSSIANS 3:23 – “And whatever you do, do heartily, as to the LORD and not to men.[3]

In his first seven seasons at Georgia, Richt's teams won two Southeastern Conference Championships (2002 and 2005), and as of 2012, he has won six SEC Eastern Division titles (2002, 2003, 2005, 2007, 2011 and 2012). His team represented the SEC in three BCS bowl appearances with a record of 2–1, and finished in the top ten of the final AP Poll six times (2002–2005, 2007, 2012).

In 2011 during his 11th season at Georgia he collected his 100th career victory by leading the Bulldogs to a win over the Tennessee Volunteers in Knoxville on October 8th.

While coaching at Georgia, Richt has been a strong opponent of oversigning, a practice popular in the SEC, believing that a scholarship is a 4-year commitment.

• Fire 1

I haven't heard much discussion on Mark Richt from Georgia. An Omaha guy who others have said like Nebraska. He seems to have a personality / philosophy closer to Tom's and would present a totally different image then what we get out of Bo. Could he be a good fit and would he want to leave the SEC for Big 10 country. He's won a couple SEC championships, many div championships and has finished in the top 10 6 times. He may be even mores successful here than in the brutal SEC. I like his stance on the SEC pattern of 'oversigning' as noted in the last sentence below.

From Wiki:

Richt was hired as head coach of the Georgia Bulldogs before the 2001 season, replacing Jim Donnan. Richt recounted the moments leading up to being named UGA's head coach in an interview, saying:

In December 2000, [the University of Georgia's] President Michael Adams and then Athletic Director Coach Vince Dooley came to Tallahassee and interviewed me for the position of Head Coach of the UGA Bulldogs. After many hours of prayer, Coach Dooley called me and I accepted the position. We moved to Athens in January 2001 and have truly been blessed. We have a great church, an outstanding school for the children and a wonderful staff. Throughout all of life I try to live according to COLOSSIANS 3:23 – “And whatever you do, do heartily, as to the LORD and not to men.[3]

In his first seven seasons at Georgia, Richt's teams won two Southeastern Conference Championships (2002 and 2005), and as of 2012, he has won six SEC Eastern Division titles (2002, 2003, 2005, 2007, 2011 and 2012). His team represented the SEC in three BCS bowl appearances with a record of 2–1, and finished in the top ten of the final AP Poll six times (2002–2005, 2007, 2012).

In 2011 during his 11th season at Georgia he collected his 100th career victory by leading the Bulldogs to a win over the Tennessee Volunteers in Knoxville on October 8th.

While coaching at Georgia, Richt has been a strong opponent of oversigning, a practice popular in the SEC, believing that a scholarship is a 4-year commitment.

+1 for Mark Richt