Our next head coach may be coaching in a CCG next week

Georgia Tech fans are worried Paul Johnson to Nebraska. I'm leaning towards more of a splash hire but I would not mind getting someone who has "beaten" top tier teams during his career. Not sure Johnson is that guy but here's some minor discussion about it.

http://georgiatech.scout.com/forums/2938-hive-sports-center/13425727-would-nebraska-make-a-run-at-paul-johnson?s=140

I would be pretty disappointed if it was Paul Johnson.

Today Danny Kannel was saying that GT has a very good chance of beating FSU. That would be a pretty big splash. They were also saying that Nebraska is third behind Florida and Michigan as the place for a new HC to go. I'd add that if any coaches from warm weather schools leave they might be considered before NE too. Might just as well throw Texas into the arena, who knows what might happen with Strong.

T_O_B

With all due respect to Danny Kannel, pretty much everybody that FSU played this year almost had a shot at pulling off the upset.

Why is michigan deemed as a better job than nebraska. If perception is equal, id understand. But WHY is michigan supposedly better? What is this based on?

Just their opinion and the fact that BP won 9+ games a year leading to the opinion that maybe expectations at NE are a bit too high and that the glory days basically ended 17 years ago. HS kids don't know about the '94, '95 and '96 teams. They don't know about Davaney and the 25 seasons of Dr. Tom. Its what have you done lately and that is really nothing in the way of championships and high profile bowl games. Does a coach want to take on overblown expectations and come to a school that has fired 2 of the last 3 coaches that won 9 games in their last season, and stacked on top of that have a handicap in recruiting? This coach search may be a tough one for SE and maybe the fact that Tressel's reputation is be a bit tainted is a plus for us if there is mutual interest.

T_O_B

Why is michigan deemed as a better job than nebraska. If perception is equal, id understand. But WHY is michigan supposedly better? What is this based on?

They have what we have in terms of being a traditional power while also being close to talent. We have 1/5th the 3* ranked recruits of Michigan and no 4*'s . They are next to Ohio, which has way more talent than all our surrounding states combined. We are certainly used to having to recruit nationally but it's still a disadvantage, especially when too many kids don't know any better and think cornhuskers of Nebraska = hickville.

It's not so much that they're perceived as better as that they're perceived as easier to win at.

Hum……….the national media and perception is exactly what some of us have been saying……. 9-3 at Nebraska may be the ceiling "average"……. not that we can't go occasional 11-1 or better, but we could also do worse….

This ISN'T the most attractive job anymore….too many people and boosters still live in the 80's when our facilities were TOP of the line…..now everyone worth a crap has a weight room and indoor facility that is just as good if not better. Our facilities recruited for us back in the day…. this in no longer the case.

Also funny that of all of the names coming up, many are getting shot down……. which comes back to the original point some of us said all along….."be careful for what you wish for"…..

I will be pumped if we pull a Tressel or a splash………but don't see it happening…… Johnson, Schiano, etc…..are blah, blah, blah…. to me, there aren't a lot of SPLASH hires that puts us in a better situation.

Kirkby Smart (but not HC, which SE wants)…. Shaw (who isn't leaving Stanford)….. Cowher ( I am a Steeler fan, but he isn't coaching anyone anytime soon)