Why I don't like the idea of Scott Frost...

Why must the new coach have head coaching experience? Jimbo Fisher wasn't a head coach until he took the Florida State job. In his fourth year, he won a NC. For every proven head coach out there, there's a coordinator who became head coach and won a NC within 4-7 years. Even a goober like Gene Chizik did it.

Sure but Frost has been an OC for two years. Two years is not a lot of time to transition into the HC job at Nebraska. Way too risky imo.

I'm not arguing one way or the other, but I do find it ironic when someone says we need a proven head coach rather than a coordinator considering how many new head coaches win NC's. Also, Frost has played for and been around some of the greatest minds to ever have been in the game. Look who some of the coaches were he was around in his short stint in the NFL (Bill Parcells, Bill Belicheck, and John Gruden). Mike Belloti was pimping him for the Florida job. I'm not saying he's the answer, but I don't think we should overlook him either.

Plus Scott is well known as one of the best recruiters in the country. Honestly I wouldn't have a problem with Frost being HC as just because our last coordinator turned HC was only mediocre doesn't mean that all turn out that way. Frost has "It" and wants to bring back Nebraska football while I'm positive he'd be here for the long haul and not leave us like others would down the road.

• Fire 1

Why must the new coach have head coaching experience? Jimbo Fisher wasn't a head coach until he took the Florida State job. In his fourth year, he won a NC. For every proven head coach out there, there's a coordinator who became head coach and won a NC within 4-7 years. Even a goober like Gene Chizik did it.

Sure but Frost has been an OC for two years. Two years is not a lot of time to transition into the HC job at Nebraska. Way too risky imo.

Somebody who has been a head coach has had full responsibility for all aspects of the program/team. They've had to pick and choose assistants, in some instances fire assistants. They have ultimate responsibility for offense, defense, special teams, recruiting, etc... They likely have learned lessons from prior stints to take with them for their next job. I think any CEO or leader of any organization will tell you that it's difficult to walk into a highly visible lead role and not make a lot of mistakes. Could Frost come in a do well...perhaps. But I have a greater confidence level in someone who's been there before.

I am not advocating for or against Frost, but I would have no problem with him becoming the next HC at Nebraska. The " He has no HC experience" is really not a great reason to think he can't do the job. IMO he is a lot more prepared to be a HC than Bo Pelini was.

Frost exudes confidence, he is very intelligent and looks the part. I think he can handle media very well. My only concern is that he would hire a proven DC. I think the offense would be in good hands. He knows the culture, he grew up in the culture. He knows how important football is to the state of Nebraska. That is something that can't be denied.

After saying all that, I would be perfectly happy with other coaches also. The only one I don't care for is Tressel, too much baggage.

yes, the criteria that Husker fans want out of a football head coach is very clear.

Must have played/coached for the football program during a championship period.

Must be from the state of Nebraska.

Must have had success coaching in any aspect of football, no matter if it was Div. I or Div. III

Must know how to be nice to fans and media.

Must know how to win.

Must know Nebraska football (run the ball, stop the run)

Must be able to recruit top talent to the program while reopening the walk-on program.

Paul Johnson is 57-years old. How does that make him "young enough so that he could be at Nebraska for 20 years"? I would be concerned about his age within 5-10 years from now.

There are a lot of coaches out there who coach well into their 70ies. I'm 68 and still work every day and plan to keep it up. Don't be so short sighted.

PJ would be perfect for us and no where near the risk we would be taking with a 20/30 something OC with zero HC experience.

T_O_B

Actually, Frost will be 40 next month...A little old to be a first time head coach....(Kidding).

Ideally, I'd like him to absorb more experience and make new connections and I still have reservations about his whining/plea after his last game for us when he basically begged the sports writers to vote us #1 ...but it looks like some places with more better recruiting bases might take him off the market pretty soon..He'd be a little foolish to come back home..

Paul Johnson is 57-years old. How does that make him "young enough so that he could be at Nebraska for 20 years"? I would be concerned about his age within 5-10 years from now.

There are a lot of coaches out there who coach well into their 70ies. I'm 68 and still work every day and plan to keep it up. Don't be so short sighted.

PJ would be perfect for us and no where near the risk we would be taking with a 20/30 something OC with zero HC experience.

T_O_B

Actually, Frost will be 40 next month...

At which point, as I understand it, he will be a man.

Nobody is intelligently saying that a coordinator can't do it. And nobody is saying that previous head coaching experience is an absolute indicator of future success.

But when you talk about the odds of something happening, it drastically changes the conversation. It's pretty ridiculous to think otherwise.

Well put. I've said the same thing in other threads too. There are exceptions to every rule, but if you are looking at probabilities, an experienced head coach with success has a better chance of succeeding here than an experienced coordinator would. Plus, unlike some assistants that are promoted within their current program and who are able to retain the team chemistry and style of play, we are talking about an assistant coming in to build a whole new approach to offense, defense, special teams while trying to build team chemistry and trying to convince prospects to choose Nebraska over its competitors.

Nobody is intelligently saying that a coordinator can't do it. And nobody is saying that previous head coaching experience is an absolute indicator of future success.

But when you talk about the odds of something happening, it drastically changes the conversation. It's pretty ridiculous to think otherwise.

Well put. I've said the same thing in other threads too. There are exceptions to every rule, but if you are looking at probabilities, an experienced head coach with success has a better chance of succeeding here than an experienced coordinator would. Plus, unlike some assistants that are promoted within their current program and who are able to retain the team chemistry and style of play, we are talking about an assistant coming in to build a whole new approach to offense, defense, special teams while trying to build team chemistry and trying to convince prospects to choose Nebraska over its competitors.

Like Tom Osborne who started that goofy option football. I'm also thinking that being in the NCAA playoffs might make recruits think you could know what you're doing.

Another thing overlooked about Frosty is that he's not just an OC, he's also an NFL safety.

I don't think Jimbo Fisher is a great comparison. He was an OC for 11 years at 3 different schools (Cincy, LSU, FSU) before he got his shot at a big seat. I'd say he's probably a little bit more polished (coaching-wise, certainly not speaking-wise) than Frost. I do see your point though.