Big 10 Reaction to Bo Firing

The schools' fans that have most come to our defense, I've noticed, on r/cfb as well, are schools like Bama, Oklahoma, Michigan, and Ohio State. You know, powerhouses that understand how important high expectations are.

The schools' fans that haven't? Iowa State, Mizzou, those types.

I hate coming across as arrogant, but a huge part of it is perception. If your school didn't experience something like we did from 1962 to 2001, you see 9-3 as fantastic. But if you are a school that has been one of the great blue-bloods like Nebraska is/was, you see what Nebraska's doing and think, "Yep, we'd do the same."

Some say it's risky. Hell yes it's risky. Who ever achieved greatness without taking risks?

I think you see this within our own fan base. Older fans were Bo-leavers. Younger fans who weren't around for the glory days were the Bo-lievers.

Bingo. I'm right on the edge as a 23-year-old, but I have a good enough memory that I have faint recollections of the 90s dynasty. That made an impact on me. That is what I think of when I think Nebraska football.

Now, I do agree that we need to be realistic. Something like that is hard to do these days. It's honestly incredible to me that Bama has done it, and even their's has blemishes.

But, definitely, I see a lot of younger fans that are upset with this. However, there are those around my age, like me, that are diehard, and we see this as the proper step, because, it's not about simply being good, it's about greatness.

EDIT: Forgot my own age, lol.

here's a michigan fan on reddit:

If we went 9-3 every year losing to notre dame, mich state, and osu our coach would be in the hot seat after year 2 and gone after year 4. Honestly 7 years of 10 win seasons but 7 losses to osu would have tons of michigan fans calling for change. While Nebraska doesn't have big rivalries established, it's difficult to create them when you never beat good teams. Their AD wants to see some big seasons sprinkled in there, but doesn't think Bo could make it happen. A lot of programs could be complacent with consistent 9-3 seasons, but michigan certainly isn't one of them and Nebraska doesnt want to be either.

Certainly odd coming from a fan of the University that still employs Brady Hoke. He must have forgot we beat every team in the Big Ten since we have been here (Indiana). He didn't win all the big ones, we get it. No need to stretch it.

interesting!! i never realized it.. but i guess we have beat every team in the BIG at least once in the last three years..

Just curious who else has done that in the last three years?!? outside of an SEC team.. :sarcasm

If we went 9-3 every year losing to notre dame, mich state, and osu our coach would be in the hot seat after year 2 and gone after year 4. Honestly 7 years of 10 win seasons but 7 losses to osu would have tons of michigan fans calling for change. While Nebraska doesn't have big rivalries established, it's difficult to create them when you never beat good teams. Their AD wants to see some big seasons sprinkled in there, but doesn't think Bo could make it happen. A lot of programs could be complacent with consistent 9-3 seasons, but michigan certainly isn't one of them and Nebraska doesnt want to be either.

Certainly odd coming from a fan of the University that still employs Brady Hoke. He must have forgot we beat every team in the Big Ten since we have been here (Indiana). He didn't win all the big ones, we get it. No need to stretch it.

interesting!! i never realized it.. but i guess we have beat every team in the BIG at least once in the last three years..

Just curious who else has done that in the last three years?!? outside of an SEC team.. :sarcasm

Difficult to beat every team when we haven't played 2 of them.

i really think the B1G should be happy with this move. we want to compete at a higher level. they need teams to strive for that.

I understand Wisconsin's reaction (i.e. that we were a hurdle, but an easy one to clear most of the time), but they should appreciate having a consistently strong opponent to slug it out with. Yeah, TO used to struggle with Oklahoma, but that is what made the program what it was in the 90s (combine the lessons from the Oklahoma slugfests with solutions to the problems from the Flaw'duh schools and you have the 90s teams). Stomping NU isn't actually good for them in terms of building strength and getting ready for big games (and, hey, wouldn't it be awesome if Wisconsin and NU were good enough that their game became the defacto championship game?!).

Anyway, being fifth in the Big Ten is pretty lame. Something had to be done... I mean, sheesh, look at how many people have taken the "this is as good as we can/should expect from now on because it's not the 90s" position. I'm STILL not sure why that is an attitude that someone would proudly express publicly. Yeah, it's not the 90s, but don't tell Wisconsin who is playing football a lot like the 90s huskers.

Okay, look at our position in the Big Ten-- if this were the Big 8, where would this have us? Vying for position with Oklahoma State? I only ask because I'm trying to adjust this placement to ye olden tyme terms and to give a sense of perspective to the arguments that compare BP to TO. TO was fighting for first place and coming in second; this year we had a down-to-the-wire struggle for fifth. FIFTH. Anyway, if we get stronger the conference gets stronger.

I'm cautiously optimistic.

On the edge of being an older fan at 23, WOW!!! I'm a frippen dinosaur!!!!

Nothing to be ashamed of, we strive for excellence. That is Nebraska. Be the best you can be, not just good enough.

Man now you made me feel old. Oh well, I have 30 mile mountain bike ride this afternoon to get young again!!!!

Keep the faith kids, we are headed back to what we want.

• Fire 1

The schools' fans that have most come to our defense, I've noticed, on r/cfb as well, are schools like Bama, Oklahoma, Michigan, and Ohio State. You know, powerhouses that understand how important high expectations are.

It's jealousy. Blue blood programs respect their brethren, as we do in return. Others are eager to sneer at Nebraska and declare us a has-been who should just accept our second tier place with them, the Iowas of the world.

No thank you.

• Fire 1

Difficult to beat every team when we haven't played 2 of them.

True! Even more difficult feat when the two you didn't get to play were the worst in the league..

I find it a bit ironic that B1G message boards are saying we can't expect to see the dominance of the 90's again when most back then didn't think we were what we were. Penn State still feels cheated out of the 94' NC and Michigan still believes they were the sole 97' NC.

well as it turned out, Penn State got exactly what it was doing to little boys and Michigan could have taken TO up on the offer for them to square off and settle the 97 issue... Michigan declined the offer, I wonder why.

The talk about we cant get back to the 90s is dumb... if we want to be relevant, and compete for NCs, isnt that the same thing we did... in the 90s? of course we want to get back to that type of dominance, there was just no way it was happening with Bo... no matter how much we wanted to believe in him. I think SE will make the money hire we should have made after BC was fired. The ride with Bo was interesting, but not a very pleasant one; especially when things mattered the most.

I hate coming across as arrogant, but a huge part of it is perception. If your school didn't experience something like we did from 1962 to 2001, you see 9-3 as fantastic. But if you are a school that has been one of the great blue-bloods like Nebraska is/was, you see what Nebraska's doing and think, "Yep, we'd do the same."

Some say it's risky. Hell yes it's risky. Who ever achieved greatness without taking risks?

I think you see this within our own fan base. Older fans were Bo-leavers. Younger fans who weren't around for the glory days were the Bo-lievers.

I don't find this to be true. I remember the 90s well, as I was about 18 when we were winning those championships. From conversations I've had, older fans (like my dad's generation) are concerned about stability in the coaching staff and what might happen if we fire another coach. Personally I wanted Bo to be the guy to make it work. I wanted to give him every chance. I know some were done last year (or even earlier), but I wanted to give him 1 more year to make it work at the end of last year. After Wisconsin this year I was ready to move on. He got the 1 year that I thought he should and couldn't do it. I'm satisfied that he was given every opportunity. I don't think that puts me in either the lievers or leavers category.

The fan expectation tells us enough. Remember when TO retired. We were pissed if Solich wasn't in the NT talk in November...now we don't even mind that we're not in the Conference championship talk in November. Bo's 9 wins mean nothing to me. It was good when we were rebuilding from the cally experiment. Programs with 5 National Titles to their name move to the next step. That's what we are doing.

Wisconsin fans seem to be the most honest. They want someone they can beat, and they knew they could drill Pelini every year.

The Michigan and OSU fans seem to be in the respect the Blue Bloods, and want to conference to be as good as possible.

Iowa is afraid a new coach will actually be able to use the superior talent, and the will not be able to win games.

About half the other schools have forgotten football is still a things as basketball has started.

• Fire 1

Wisconsin fans seem to be the most honest. They want someone they can beat, and they knew they could drill Pelini every year.

The Michigan and OSU fans seem to be in the respect the Blue Bloods, and want to conference to be as good as possible.

Iowa is afraid a new coach will actually be able to use the superior talent, and the will not be able to win games.

About half the other schools have forgotten football is still a things as basketball has started.

iowa fans are pissed that they will still be paying ferentz after the sun burns out.