Can't help but feel the Riley move is Political.

I've been thinking long and hard about the Riley hire today and have come to the following conclusions:

1. Sean is firmly in charge of the Athletic Department and the message is clear: OOZING POSITIVITY EVERYWHERE.

2. They firmly believe that the positive vibe will have an effect on the football team. They believe in the talent of the players they have, but they needed to be rid of Pelini's indifferent/negative messages being delivered that was possibly reducing the fanbase.

3. I believe they made a good choice. It's MUCH easier to be a fan of a positive coach than a negative one. Even if they aren't doing as well as we think they should. Riley will never be expected to contend for a CCG every year, but one or two before he retires would be awesome.

4. I believe Eichorst is going to move to put Scott Frost in a Coach-in-waiting position, he's a hot hire name and we want to lock him up before someone else jumps in first. I hope this happens, Riley/Frost could probably obliterate the sh#t out of Oregon when we play them in 2016. That would put Nebraska on a lot of recruits minds as Oregon is seen as the badass team to play for in a lot of kids minds these days.

5. This is the recipe for success in football by Sean Eichorst: Positive Message (Unite the fanbase), Beat the crap out of Oregon in 2016 and boost our recruiting, Scott takes over the reigns and rides the top recruiting classes to a CCG & beyond. This is the pipedream folks. To etch another Nebraska legend in the annals of Husker history. Whether this comes to bear is highly up in the air, but that's the story they want to write.

I agree with almost everything you've written here, except for the negative characterization of the move as 'political' (it seems like a straightforward "best for the program" decision), and that Riley won't be expected to contend for a CCG every year. Every year the Huskers should get, or come close to a division title, and that's means contending for the CCG.

I also don't think Frost is forthcoming, but you never know. Frost is also energetic, positive, and at this point has pretty solid accomplishments.

• Fire 1

The book that SE gave all his coaches as required reading was "The Energy Bus". Go look it up, it addresses everything about positivity/negativity effect from SE's perspective (4.5 of your 5 bullet points). It's a hugely popular management book so not a bad read if you're into that stuff...

EDIT: Mark Richt at UGA allegedly makes the book required reading for his team which is interesting if true: http://timchavel.blogspot.com/2014/01/the-energy-bus-10-rules-to-fuel-your.html

I agree, substituting whatever word you want for political. Not saying that makes it un-justified but I think Pelini has been gone since Eichorst was hired. Pearlman doesn't like him so it was only a matter of time. The sideline demeanor was too much for him and he's been wanting him gone since the A&M game.

It's really not the lack of wins but the type of losses provides plenty of cover. Pelini would probably have been gone last year but for the cover of some of the boosters. Not that HP and SE don't want some championships but if they have a guy with a Tim-Miles-type personality with all the other results exactly the same - on the field and in the classroom - I don't think he's gone. To be fair, there are probably a lot fewer of us in that boat under those circumstances as well.

Again, I'm not saying Pelini deserved anything different. I just think HP has been waiting for a change for some time. He's not alone in that but he obviously holds a fair amount of the influence.

• Fire 1

It was political. Steve,.....i mean Shawn is Harv's hatchet man. Harv doesn't really care about success on the football field as long as butts are in the seats.

Looking at what this guy has done in his past, there is nothing to suggest that he'll do any better than Bo.

But the decision has been made.

Why does everyone keep going out of their way to tell us Riley is a nice guy and he is nice to the media. He's been coaching for 14 yrs at a school with no expectations. The fishbowl gets mighty small in this state.

Well,,the butt hurt media around here was upset that Bo wasn't nice.

Now , they've got nice.

I think you're onto something here. I've heard rumors around town that they're changing the name of the school to The University of Nebraska-Lincoln at Madison.

FWIW a HS friend's mom from here in west of Lincoln is working on a large re-branding project in the communications department at UNL. Supposedly the logo will be kept for Athletics but the academic side is getting a big makeover with new logo's.

Why does everyone keep going out of their way to tell us Riley is a nice guy and he is nice to the media. He's been coaching for 14 yrs at a school with no expectations. The fishbowl gets mighty small in this state.

Well,,the butt hurt media around here was upset that Bo wasn't nice.

Now , they've got nice.

I think the N-Club letter posted confirms the rumors that a lot of Alumni relationships had been damaged and that a large portion of donations from them was threatened. This was totally a move to repair those relationships and keep the donations rolling in.

I've been thinking long and hard about the Riley hire today and have come to the following conclusions:

1. Sean is firmly in charge of the Athletic Department and the message is clear: OOZING POSITIVITY EVERYWHERE.

2. They firmly believe that the positive vibe will have an effect on the football team. They believe in the talent of the players they have, but they needed to be rid of Pelini's indifferent/negative messages being delivered that was possibly reducing the fanbase.

3. I believe they made a good choice. It's MUCH easier to be a fan of a positive coach than a negative one. Even if they aren't doing as well as we think they should. Riley will never be expected to contend for a CCG every year, but one or two before he retires would be awesome.

4. I believe Eichorst is going to move to put Scott Frost in a Coach-in-waiting position, he's a hot hire name and we want to lock him up before someone else jumps in first. I hope this happens, Riley/Frost could probably obliterate the sh#t out of Oregon when we play them in 2016. That would put Nebraska on a lot of recruits minds as Oregon is seen as the badass team to play for in a lot of kids minds these days.

5. This is the recipe for success in football by Sean Eichorst: Positive Message (Unite the fanbase), Beat the crap out of Oregon in 2016 and boost our recruiting, Scott takes over the reigns and rides the top recruiting classes to a CCG & beyond. This is the pipedream folks. To etch another Nebraska legend in the annals of Husker history. Whether this comes to bear is highly up in the air, but that's the story they want to write.

If you think Riley will be here in 2016, I have a bridge to sell you.

I am calling it now BYU big as in blow out.

All the positivity and rainbows and hugs wont save Rileys job or Eichorst. To be followed by MSU - Miami - Wisky (Cant seem to get enough servings of getting our butts kicked by them!) - Iowa and or NW... Things will fall apart, at first people will blame Bo's ghost of Christmas past and or his "negativity", eventually however people will realize hire a .500 coach get a .500 season. Hey we will be respected however like Indiana without the Basketball legacy.

The dude is in his 60s he is older than when T.O. retired from the job.. So expecting a guy who is not taking over from Devaney who does not have the talent of T.O. is just too much kool aid for me.

http://www.sportingnews.com/ncaa-football/story/2014-12-04/nebraska-coaching-hire-questions-mike-riley-bo-pelini-does-this-make-sense

I hope I am wrong.