Gil Brandt: Bret Bielema turned down Nebraska job

This has been debunked by Perlman already. Very little chance this is true.

LINK

"Mike Riley was the first choice - we never talked to Bielema," Perlman said. "It seems odd that you even think that we would. Here's a coach who - not saying anything about Bret - but he left Wisconsin last year for Arkansas. If he came here, do you think we'd have much confidence that he would stay? He didn't obviously, so I'm not being critical of him. To think we would go after a coach who'd just moved -- if he is going to move, it's not the character we want."

This has been debunked by Perlman already. Very little chance this is true.

LINK

"Mike Riley was the first choice - we never talked to Bielema," Perlman said. "It seems odd that you even think that we would. Here's a coach who - not saying anything about Bret - but he left Wisconsin last year for Arkansas. If he came here, do you think we'd have much confidence that he would stay? He didn't obviously, so I'm not being critical of him. To think we would go after a coach who'd just moved -- if he is going to move, it's not the character we want."

Given the choice to believe a story from someone who has plenty to gain from lying/misleading/deceiving and some people who have nothing to gain and possibly something to lose from making up a story, I'm going to lean toward the latter.

If you look at the acerbic history between Eichorst mentor Alvarez and Bielema in Wisconsin, as well as Bielema's personality compared with Eichorst's clearly preferred mold, as well as the extremely successful secrecy surrounding this search, I think you'll see it's extremely unlikely this is true.

Does that mean Riley was necessarily the #1 choice? No, and I'd still like to think Tressel would have been if he were still interested. But Bielema did not turn down the opportunity. Although clearly it's beneficial for him to have people think he did.

If it wasn't a total goof on FootballScoop's part, and if it wasn't Bielema's people either, it's probably the leftover anti-Harvey-in-service-of-Bo crowd, what with these snide "advised against because of the current climate in Lincoln" lines. That'll play well with anyone who wants to believe it.