Is Riley the Best Candidate We Could Get?

Mavric

How Did We Do?  

140 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Personally could care less one way or the other.

I see a guy that wants to be here, wants to coach Nebraska, with no stepping stone mentality..

We will get more from him than the previous two.

He fits for me, that is all I care about. Make the players better, play the game to their strength, make it a team for Nebraska, not against Nebraska, who could ask for more.

Just so you don't make this mistake again.

It's..."I couldn't care less"

As you stated, you still care...

I see a guy that wants to be here, wants to coach Nebraska, with no stepping stone mentality..

He fits for me, that is all I care about. Make the players better, play the game to their strength, make it a team for Nebraska, not against Nebraska, who could ask for more.

Correcting him is far more annoying.

I know it's annoying to be that internet grammar guy.

But...as I said, for his sake...just so he knows the difference in the future. It's not just him. I used to do it...and most Americans tend to get that wrong. Nothing wrong with a little education.

I think people really need to take into account how the playoffs have changed things. Guys like Patterson or Briles would have jumped in the past, because the pool of who can realistically make the BCS champ game was very very small. The by going to 4 (and probably 8 soon) simply being able to win your conference may be enough to play for it all.

So the effect is that if a guy at a P5 school that wants to compete, can compete. This shifts new hires for open jobs to G5 head coaches, hot coordinators, or good HC's at P5 schools who choose not to compete. Or the odd guy who is out of a job for one reason or another.

Of the names listed in this poll, McElwain was the hot G5 coach, who got scooped up by Florida.

Tressel had stated in the past when he took the job he has now, that he is done with coaching.

Schiano? Really? His career record and path are very similar to Riley, but with a personality much closer to Pelini.

Briles, Patterson and Bielima meet that category of schools want to compete. And they are competing, why start over?

Wittingham is interesting, but other than being younger, I don't know as he has any advantages over who we did hire.

And Frost was never, ever, ever going to happen. And really, all the moaning over the years over this not being a training wheels program, people really want to go that route again?

I was underwhelmed when I first saw the hire. But the more I read on Riley, and who else was out there, I think we did get a very good fit. And make no mistake 'fit' is more important that anything else. Ask RichRod about 'fit' he gets 'COTY' at the stops before and after Mich. And really getting into it I think the number one reason people are upset at this point is they had mentally geared up for a 'big name' and then didn't get it. But from what you read Riley has the list of qualities that the fanbase as a whole has been calling for in a coach for years. Character guy, good evaluator of talent, good at coaching his guys up, and even a solid recruiter.

Time will tell, but Riley looks like a very good fit, and probably the best we were going to do this year.

Excellent post.

Another interpretation is that he doesn't even care enough to put the "n't" on the "could." :D

I know it's annoying to be that internet grammar guy.

But...as I said, for his sake...just so he knows the difference in the future. It's not just him. I used to do it...and most Americans tend to get that wrong. Nothing wrong with a little education.

Another one a lot of people misuse:

"For all intensive purposes"

We jumped the gun.

I think we could have pulled in Tressel, Frost, McElwain, Wittingham, or Mullen if we had tried hard enough.

At this point, I think the most we can realistically hope for is that Riley can more or less continue the 9-win level of success, but without the blowout losses, drama, or hostility for the fan base associated with Bo. I don't envision national/conference championships under Riley.

I think we could have pulled in Tressel, Frost, McElwain, Wittingham, or Mullen if we had tried hard enough.

Tressel's really the only one that's head and shoulders above the rest (including Riley). Frost might be a mid-major candidate, but that's it. The other guys are hot candidates right now (Wittingham being a little less hot after joining the Pac-12), but Riley has been the hot candidate plenty in his career.

Wittingham interests me the most.

We jumped the gun.

At this point, I think the most we can realistically hope for is that Riley can more or less continue the 9-win level of success, but without the blowout losses, drama, or hostility for the fan base associated with Bo. I don't envision national/conference championships under Riley.

Tressel has stated that he will never return to caoching.

Frost....people need to get past him, he may be an option for the coach to follow Riley, but he is not now. If he was not a former NU player, he would never be an option.

McElwain was picked up by Florida, more time would do nothing.

Mullen made a comment about how he's "never going to shovel snow" so I don't think more time is going to help there either.

And Wittingham's resume is not really superior to Riley.

There has been quite a bit of discussion over the last couple years about whether we should fire another nine-win coach and whether top-shelf coaches would consider coming to Lincoln. Now we've tried once and have some idea who was considering us (depending on which rumors you believe).

So, on a scale of "who'd want to come to a school that fires a coach with nine wins" to "you can't say Chris Petersen wouldn't come here", how did we do?

Edit: Per questions that have come up: Best is whatever you think it is. Different people have different priorities. There isn't a right answer, just getting a feel for what people think.

For those of you who are still putting stock in the '9 win season' argument, 9 wins DOESN'T MEAN WHAT IT USED TO. TO won 9 games a year while playing just under 2 fewer games a year (on average) than BP.

We got a very good coach with lots of experience who has a history of getting a lot out of lightly recruited prospects. The guy has the right temperament for the Football Program at Nebraska. He surrounds himself with assistants who can do the job. He's not going to embarrass the

University with a sound bite or presser. He's not going to be seen yelling at a player on the sideline and then following him to the bench

and yelling some more. He will pi$$ off neither fan/donor nor members of the media. He will welcome former players on campus and at the

Athletic Department and he will support long established traditions. Like Coach Riles does with recruits we found a diamond in the rough.

T_O_B

some more.