Bring back Frost. Now

lo country

Agreed, Gill-Frost would at least help unite the fans. And for those that want to rip Gill, he has led 2 teams to some record seasons.

Riley won't last 3 years. Nebraskans have no reason to back (other than being the HC) or believe in him. He is conceivably just collecting a bigger paycheck for he and his buddies before retiring back to Oregon.

Gill would be a good hire if he were willing to make the move. Think he's got a good gig as HC now, though--doubt he'd leave it.

I definitely wanted Frost over Mike Riley. He's been around nothing but successful programs his entire career and even though he is running offense now at Oregon he played defense in the NFL so he has experience and knowledge on that side of the ball also. I like that. I'm just shocked that this man wasn't even at least contacted about the position.

Why not just open the doors to former players, allow them access to the team, and have 50 guys help heal the team instead of just one?

I'm not against Frost coaching here, but the more guys instilling what this program is about to current players, the better.

I'm all for it. Bring in as many former players as possible and if there are a couple who would be good line coaches great. Zack Wigert lives in Lincoln and I'm sure there are others in the city. Let's just get back to being Husker Nation/Husker Family (and not a dysfunctional one).

T_O_B

I feel Riley will be the right guy to get the fans behind the Huskers again...we are a fractured group of fans. Riley will do the right things and say the right things. I am really hoping former players who made it very clear about their attitudes towards Bo will come back and help Riley with the perception. Now is the time these former players that voiced their opinions so loudly to back that up.

The big question I have though...which players would you like to come back and give the speeches or visit with players? The problem that arises is which one of the former players that can come back do the current players have any idea who they are? The recent NFL success guys were all coaches by Bo....not sure Tommie or Jason Peter is one to bring back. I wish Wistrom could come back or maybe Raiola as well?

There used to be a " Nebraska way" but it has been forgotten by some fans and maybe never fully appreciated by admin. The Nebraska way produced 5 national champs. We need to get back to that.

I'd like to hear your personal definition of the "Nebraska Way". I think everyone has their own idea of what that might mean.

I think Nebraska traditions like having a strong walk-on program are definitely worthwhile, and something we should both be proud of and should learn from going forward. Exactly how the walk-on program is implemented, though, should be up to the coach we place in charge of the program. The part where we get this thing wrong is when we start dictating exactly how things "should be done" and try to micromanage and meddle.

If you look at the MNC teams of the 70's and the teams of the 90's, there are some things that are consistent, but a lot of things that are different, such as the offense we ran! TO adapted to changes in CFB and his conference throughout the years. That is one of the many things that made him a HOF coach. One could argue that some of our failures in the last 13 years have been a result of a failure to adapt to change. Solich's Offense, Cally's Defense not adapting to spread offenses, Bo's defense not adapting to B1G offenses, etc.

I guess my point is that tradition is great, but there is more than one way to have success at Nebraska, and if we want to succeed going forward, We can't shackle the creativity of our coach based on what worked in the past.

And further, having good relations and access to former players is great, but I hope something like that doesn't turn into a distraction or a "too many cooks in the kitchen" type situation. The coach has to be the one calling the shots.

• Fire 1

Also keeping in mind that several of those vaunted Huskers of yesteryear are not warm to the idea of Scott Frost as head coach.

No idea what transpired there or why, but it seems "The Husker Way" is not synonymous with every ex-Husker.

Bringing in former players to help the healing remains a good idea. Reminding the current squad that the fans actually love the team is a good place to start.

• Fire 1

without saddling him with "Nebraska way" requirements

You mean like not hounding his staff every year about what color shirts he gives out and when, because we always did it that way before?

I think that traditions such as the Black Shirts should be respected by coaches. Somehow I think our previous coach couldn't have cared less about this particular tradition and he certainly didn't understand it.

Back in Tom Osborne's day, the coaching staff built value into the Black Shirts. You found out you were a starter when you saw a black jersey hanging in your locker. Grown men would literally start bawling when they saw that jersey in their locker. The defensive players strove to achieve starter status and the coveted black jersey that went with it and in doing so, they made themselves and their team mates better.