Jim Harbaugh reportedly heading to Michigan

r06ue1

This is a grand slam hire. It doesnt matter if he rubs people the wrong way. He played at UM which means those fans will love him regardless. And while I am in the give Riley a chance, but not blown away by the hire club, im extremely jealous that Michigan is about to land Harbaugh. Whether he stays for 3 years or 10 years (being his alma mater, I think he stays longer here than anywhere else) its still better than where they are at now.

They knew want they needed. They knew who they wanted. And they flexed their muscles with their offer and it paid off. Good for Michigan.

• Fire 6

I absolutely love this hire for Michigan and the Big Ten as a whole if it comes to fruition. If the Big Ten is ever going to get back to national relevance, moves likes this need to be made. Harbaugh may only be there for 5 years, but he's going to turn Michigan into a nightmare for those 5 years. Personally, I see him staying as long as Meyer stays @ OSU (natural parallel between Harbaugh/Meyer to Hayes/Schembechler.

• Fire 3

This is a grand slam hire. It doesnt matter if he rubs people the wrong way. He played at UM which means those fans will love him regardless. And while I am in the give Riley a chance, but not blown away by the hire club, im extremely jealous that Michigan is about to land Harbaugh. Whether he stays for 3 years or 10 years (being his alma mater, I think he stays longer here than anywhere else) its still better than where they are at now.

They knew want they needed. They knew who they wanted. And they flexed their muscles with their offer and it paid off. Good for Michigan.

I get this impression from a few people so I just want to make sure one point is clear:

Nebraska knew exactly what they needed. Nebraska knew exactly who they wanted. We flexed our muscles and it took us three or four days to hire "our" guy.

You say "it paid off". No it hasn't. It hasn't paid off anything. Literally, neither hire at Nebraska or Michigan has coached a game there yet. I cannot stress this enough. Neither hire has paid off. It's just that you've heard of Jim Harbaugh before so for some of you this "splash hire" somehow means success. Well it doesn't mean anything yet and it could prove to be no big "splash" at all.

• Fire 5

Harbaugh! Its happening! Great for Michigan, great for the Big 10. The Big Ten needs NU, PSU and UofM back in the national spotlight. The Big 10 lost 2 of its best coordinators (Narduzzi (MSU) to Pitt, Herman (OSU) to Houston), and Wisconsin loses Anderson. Chryst is a decent hire that may turn out well for Wisconsin. I like the Riley as well. Hopefully we get more great hires as time goes on.

This is a grand slam hire. It doesnt matter if he rubs people the wrong way. He played at UM which means those fans will love him regardless.

ahh............you might want to check with Frank to see just how long that singular credential holds weight............

• Fire 1

I get this impression from a few people so I just want to make sure one point is clear:

Nebraska knew exactly what they needed. Nebraska knew exactly who they wanted. We flexed our muscles and it took us three or four days to hire "our" guy.

You say "it paid off". No it hasn't. It hasn't paid off anything. Literally, neither hire at Nebraska or Michigan has coached a game there yet. I cannot stress this enough. Neither hire has paid off. It's just that you've heard of Jim Harbaugh before so for some of you this "splash hire" somehow means success. Well it doesn't mean anything yet and it could prove to be no big "splash" at all.

Flexed our muscles by paying less than Bo was making for a guy that has not even won his division? As opposed to paying 9 mil or whatever it is for a guy who has won a BCS bowl and has been to two NFC championship games and a Super Bowl.

Tell yourself whatever you want, but the hiring of Harbaugh instantly gives the entire B1G more credibility, not just Michigan. Hiring Riley does not do that. And when I say it paid off, I mean they threw money at him that he couldn't refuse. Nobody thought there was any way he would leave the NFL a month ago and now look where we are.

• Fire 5

This is a grand slam hire. It doesnt matter if he rubs people the wrong way. He played at UM which means those fans will love him regardless.

ahh............you might want to check with Frank to see just how long that singular credential holds weight............

If he wins, it doesn't matter.

Flexed our muscles by paying less than Bo was making for a guy that has not even won his division? As opposed to paying 9 mil or whatever it is for a guy who has won a BCS bowl and has been to two NFC championship games and a Super Bowl.

Tell yourself whatever you want, but the hiring of Harbaugh instantly gives the entire B1G more credibility, not just Michigan. Hiring Riley does not do that. And when I say it paid off, I mean they threw money at him that he couldn't refuse. Nobody thought there was any way he would leave the NFL a month ago and now look where we are.

He never won his division at Oregon St. I won't hold that against him.

Look man, I'm not saying either hire is a bad hire. I can't say either is good.

I will say I like Riley.

Hiring Harbaugh is definitely the big name hire the Big Ten was looking for sure. It gives people a big name to talk about. It doesn't mean a lot other than that right now. Riley isn't that same splash kind of guy, maybe even because he's seemed to live his life and build his career in a way that he doesn't become that attention getter that Harbaugh is.

Riley's just got a lot of experience and right now I think that's important for Nebraska. As far as real coaching style or ability, I'm still learning about him but it does tell you something when Alabama and USC were trying to get him to coach there.

I'm in wait and see mode I guess, but I am excited for the future. I don't blame Michigan and their fans for being excited either. It's gonna be fun to see how it all plays out.

• Fire 1