Georgia tech trip option

The principles of all option schemes date back to two major influences: the two-back Veer formation, and the single wing formation. The Wishbone (popularized by Texas in the... 1950s I think?) combined elements of the Single wing (pulling guards, misdirection, inside and outside running attacks, chip blocks proceeding to secondary blocks, ext...) with elements of the Veer (more misdirection, and I think the earliest uses of the triple option... could be wrong... but most importantly, the read option. Reading an unblocked defender, forcing him to make a decision, and either decision would remove him from the play.)

The wishbone developed into the flexbone, the I formation, and (combined with the shotgun snap of the Single Wing and the West coast passing philosophy) the various spread formations. Including the modern spread option.

In fact, everything in football is so interconnected that, with a little creativity, you can run any kind of offensive system out of any kind of formation. I could run triple option out of an empty backfield with some creative pre and post snap motion. I know how to run power out of a 4 WR shotgun formation. I know how to run 5 verts out of a 3 TE power set. It's easy to do anything out of any formation once you realize two things: everything in football is related in some way, and everything has already been done before in some form or another.

Shotgun doesn't mean you can't run a FB-lead, pulling guard, between the tackles power dive.

3 TE doesn't mean you're limited only to power runs and short passes.

Triple option can be deadly. The "modern" variant is Auburn's run-pass option. All that is is a read option. If the DE plays contain, hand it off. If he crashes after the RB, the QB runs a naked bootleg. Then, the force player (usually the OLB or safety, identified pre-snap) will either attack the QB, in which case the QB throws it to the guy the defender was supposed to be covering for a good 7 yards (which is the "pitch" in the traditional triple option) or the defender stays in coverage and the QB scamper for 5 to 7 yards on a keeper. The exact same principles of the triple option thats been around since WWII, just the "pitch" replaced with a forward pass.

If you want examples, give me a play you want run out of any formation, and I'll post a playbook pic for it. :)

It's funny that you say this, because I saw Beck utilize concepts like this, then attach to plays that we have. For example:

Inverted veer, with speed option attached

In GT's case, the way they utilize the motion back is by far better than anyone else. Navy doesn't even come close. In addition, to perhaps using this guy as a speed option motion back. They use him on the rocket sweep (by far my favorite GT play), and on Justin Thomas' rushing TD's, he's used as a lead blocker. This could also be used to fake the rocket sweep and go the other direction. Their inside trap doesn't work nearly as well without the motion back IMO. They also found success passing with the motion back in motion, then running a route.

That's just the motion back...

the problem with Beck though, was that he had this whole bag of tricks, but they were never practiced, and therefore never used. I never saw that play above again. It gave me tons of hope for what else Beck may have in the running game, but the next best thing I saw was his variation of outside zone with 2 pulling lead blockers for both the RB and the QB. It was highly successful on some of Tommy's keeps. check it:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KobQ8SM_FTg?t=1m40s

I long to run the type of Offense GT runs. But the reason we haven't seen it be so successful is due to Justin Thomas. With him running it, it's great, without? Well, GT wasn't as fantastic before him... I could be wrong though...

• Fire 1

The primary drawback, and it is a giant one, of the triple option is the issues that inevitably arrive in the passing game. With the nature of today's college football, you will be behind by 14 points sooner or later. The offensive lean to the rules, and getting speed in space often makes for situations of one missed tackle and its six. Being able to pass successfully when you absolutely need to is paramount in today's college football. And as much as the nostalgia for the old option offense calls, I don't think it is well suited to winning enough. GT looked great while going against a team that couldn't come up with a gameplan a Nebraska High School coaching staff could, to slow down the offense, but that is not, and has not been, the norm. The last time a triple option team won the national title was 1997. I'm even having a hard time thinking of the last time a team that won it all did so with a QB who was NOT an NFL prospect. I still like watching the option, but give me a modern offense with good QB play.

• Fire 2

The primary drawback, and it is a giant one, of the triple option is the issues that inevitably arrive in the passing game. With the nature of today's college football, you will be behind by 14 points sooner or later. The offensive lean to the rules, and getting speed in space often makes for situations of one missed tackle and its six. Being able to pass successfully when you absolutely need to is paramount in today's college football. And as much as the nostalgia for the old option offense calls, I don't think it is well suited to winning enough. GT looked great while going against a team that couldn't come up with a gameplan a Nebraska High School coaching staff could, to slow down the offense, but that is not, and has not been, the norm. The last time a triple option team won the national title was 1997. I'm even having a hard time thinking of the last time a team that won it all did so with a QB who was NOT an NFL prospect. I still like watching the option, but give me a modern offense with good QB play.

Dude, you don't get it. Oregon uses option from spread formations and has had the most explosive offense for the past 5 or 6 years. This includes triple option principles. Auburn uses triple option principles.

I get the feeling that when you think about triple option, you only think about the 90's Nebraska triple option, or the Navy triple option, or even GT'S. Those are being run out of heavy sets with a heavy rushing attack. When running the triple option, YOU ARE NOT LIMITED TO HEAVY FORMATIONS!!!

With some adequate QB coaching, you can combine tripe option principles out of a pistol or shotgun 4WR spread, and run AIR RAID principles when passing! BOOM! Triple option, the most explosive rinning attack, with Air Raid, the most explosive passing attack. Mike Leach's Air Raid system outs up record passing numbers, but his QBs are never successfull in the NFL, so you don't need a special passer for this system. Also, you don't particularly need the fastest runner at QB either. Or the most eleusive. Or really, a specail athlete at all. Granted, it helps, but its not required to run triple option. And the best part about Air Raid and Triple Option attacks is that the QB is always reading the D.

In an air raid passing attack, the QB reads a safety or corner who is forced to make a decision based on the WRs actions, and throws where the defender is not. One easy read, one easy pass to an almost always wide open reciever. Triple option is reading unblocked defenders to force them to make a decision, but any decision will take them out of the play. Similar principles, one for passing, one for running. With the right coaching, y9u wouldn't even need 5* players to be successful.

Dude, you don't get it. Oregon uses option from spread formations and has had the most explosive offense for the past 5 or 6 years. This includes triple option principles. Auburn uses triple option principles.

I get the feeling that when you think about triple option, you only think about the 90's Nebraska triple option, or the Navy triple option, or even GT'S. Those are being run out of heavy sets with a heavy rushing attack. When running the triple option, YOU ARE NOT LIMITED TO HEAVY FORMATIONS!!!

With some adequate QB coaching, you can combine tripe option principles out of a pistol or shotgun 4WR spread, and run AIR RAID principles when passing! BOOM! Triple option, the most explosive rinning attack, with Air Raid, the most explosive passing attack. Mike Leach's Air Raid system outs up record passing numbers, but his QBs are never successfull in the NFL, so you don't need a special passer for this system. Also, you don't particularly need the fastest runner at QB either. Or the most eleusive. Or really, a specail athlete at all. Granted, it helps, but its not required to run triple option. And the best part about Air Raid and Triple Option attacks is that the QB is always reading the D.

In an air raid passing attack, the QB reads a safety or corner who is forced to make a decision based on the WRs actions, and throws where the defender is not. One easy read, one easy pass to an almost always wide open reciever. Triple option is reading unblocked defenders to force them to make a decision, but any decision will take them out of the play. Similar principles, one for passing, one for running. With the right coaching, y9u wouldn't even need 5* players to be successful.

And Oregon has the Heisman winning QB who will be the #1 pick in the next draft. The style Oregon runs and the Air Raid both have very ugly reputations of making soft teams. This year Oregon has been bucking the trend a bit, but teams who hit them in the mouth have historically beat them. Which makes it for a horrible match in the Big Ten. Finesse offenses get the crap kicked out of them in this conference. Hell, the offense we had here under Beck tried to use some of those principles, and we have tended to be a bit soft as well.

Give me a more pro style offense than these high school offenses for modern football. Which is what Auburn runs, its what Baylor runs. Both teams had some issues with more physical pro type offenses.

And Oregon has the Heisman winning QB who will be the #1 pick in the next draft. The style Oregon runs and the Air Raid both have very ugly reputations of making soft teams. This year Oregon has been bucking the trend a bit, but teams who hit them in the mouth have historically beat them. Which makes it for a horrible match in the Big Ten. Finesse offenses get the crap kicked out of them in this conference. Hell, the offense we had here under Beck tried to use some of those principles, and we have tended to be a bit soft as well.

Give me a more pro style offense than these high school offenses for modern football. Which is what Auburn runs, its what Baylor runs. Both teams had some issues with more physical pro type offenses.

Comparing Oregon's spread attack to Beck's spread attack is like comparing a Formula 1 Race car to a Hyundai Elantra.

Not only is Oregon "bucking" the trend of spread offenses, Ohio State is also. Both teams run what some people would call a "spread" offense. Yet, both of those "soft" teams have beat teams that run an offense that could be called "pro-style" to play for the National Championship.

yeah, Paul Johnson is in his 7th year. Sound familiar? I was touting this guy when we had to have Pelini. Yes, this guy was out there when we had to have the fire of Pelini.

This guy is a class act, who this year beat Georgia, and could and should have beaten FSU. This guy has built something in his 7 year tenure. This is the program that all Nebraska fans should look at and wonder , HMMMMM.

Saying it again. GTech is fun to watch and they recruit and win alot of games every year. Johnson has a good product, and his product always appears shiny and new. Even if its the old Triple option. They looked the better team, the faster team, and more physical team on the field against the SEC # 2 team. They looked the part.

Agree wt you. While Gil was my 'emotional' pic in 2007 - Johnson was my mental pic for the HC job that went to Bo. I thought that if this guy can win wt the option at Navy and do it wt lessor recruiting advantages, he could do it in Lincoln. We'll he proved that the option can still work. Let's be realistic, most Ds are built to stop either a pro style or spread or read option. Not many Ds are prepared adequately to play the option. Even in the day when Tom ran it and Ds could prepare for it (whether it be our version or the wishbone version), when execute well, it was still almost impossible to stop. I just wonder what Johnson could have done wt our resources. He's done very well at GT.

Does anyone remember Devaney's offense from the early 1970s when he was winning championships? He ran a spread passing attack with an Option ground game. It looked a LOT like what Bo was running here the past seven years.

Devaney won two championships with that offense, but people continue to dig up the bones of the Triple Option because that was Osborne's offense (at least, that's what people remember most). If Osborne had run the Wishbone we'd have threads here yearning for a return to the Wishbone days. If he'd run the Single Wing we'd have threads about that.

There is nothing magical about the Option. Any offense, executed properly, will result in enough points to win a game. People need to stop obsessing about the Option.

• Fire 1

yeah, Paul Johnson is in his 7th year. Sound familiar? I was touting this guy when we had to have Pelini. Yes, this guy was out there when we had to have the fire of Pelini.

This guy is a class act, who this year beat Georgia, and could and should have beaten FSU. This guy has built something in his 7 year tenure. This is the program that all Nebraska fans should look at and wonder , HMMMMM.

Saying it again. GTech is fun to watch and they recruit and win alot of games every year. Johnson has a good product, and his product always appears shiny and new. Even if its the old Triple option. They looked the better team, the faster team, and more physical team on the field against the SEC # 2 team. They looked the part.

Agree wt you. While Gil was my 'emotional' pic in 2007 - Johnson was my mental pic for the HC job that went to Bo. I thought that if this guy can win wt the option at Navy and do it wt lessor recruiting advantages, he could do it in Lincoln. We'll he proved that the option can still work. Let's be realistic, most Ds are built to stop either a pro style or spread or read option. Not many Ds are prepared adequately to play the option. Even in the day when Tom ran it and Ds could prepare for it (whether it be our version or the wishbone version), when execute well, it was still almost impossible to stop. I just wonder what Johnson could have done wt our resources. He's done very well at GT.

I disagree a little with the bolded, I'd say above average is probably more appropriate. I'll give him a little bit more of the benefit of the doubt b/c GT is a tough school to get into academically although he's in very fertile recruiting grounds that should offset it quite a bit.

Johnson's records @ GT...one great year (Big Six bowl win) one pretty good year (losing to lol Iowa in the Orange although I can't hate too much as I won a bucket of cash on Iowa +6) one above average year (9 wins, first year) and then a mix of average to crappy years after that. I can't remember which poster mentioned it, but Johnson's offense hums with Justin Thomas running it. You get Vad Lee running it, you get .500 ball. As with every other offense, good QB play=good offensive results.

Georgia Tech Yellow Jackets (Atlantic Coast Conference) (2008–present) 2008 Georgia Tech 9–4 5–3 T–1st (Coastal) L Chick-Fil-A 22 22 2009 Georgia Tech 10–3 [Note 1] 7–1 1st (Coastal) L Orange 13 13 2010 Georgia Tech 6–7 4–4 T–3rd (Coastal) L Independence 2011 Georgia Tech 8–5 5–3 T–2nd (Coastal) L Sun 2012 Georgia Tech 7–7 5–3 T–1st (Coastal) W Sun 2013 Georgia Tech 7–6 5–3 T–2nd (Coastal) L Music City 2014 Georgia Tech 11–3 6–2 1st (Coastal) W OrangeGeorgia Tech: 58–35 37–19