Georgia tech trip option

It was a thing of beauty to watch tonight; however, I feel like you're drunk on nostalgia to advocate a return to it. At least at this point. It'd be a complete system overhaul and require years of recruiting guys for the system. If the wheels fall off the next few years, why not. I don't see that happening, but we shouldn't scrap it in the hopes we return to the 90s.

I had my son and his friend watch to night, at first they thought they were broken plays, everyone going different directions. His friend who played in high school and small college, said he had seen the option run, but not to that perfection. He thought it would be a fun system to play in.

It was a fun night. I watched them pound Florida State for 3 guarters and then lose by 2 points in the ACC championship.

And I loved Coach Johnson comments, that at least he won't have to hear about the SEC for a few weeks!!!!

Great game, truly enjoyed it!!!!

• Fire 1

I feel a bit like an old-timer, but watching Georgia Tech run the tiple option and score big points is a lot of fun. Obviously, nebraska is not going in that direction...but watching this offense run well is good for the soul. It reminds me of a lot of good Saturdays in Lincoln. And get off my lawn.

i wanted PJ in 07 not the idiot in ohio. PJ has won everywhere he's been

Oh please. People have some short memories.

GT records with Johnson.

2008 - 9-4

2009 - 11-3

2010 - 6-7

2011 - 8-5

2012 - 7-7

2013 - 7-6

2014 - 11-3

59-35. For a .593 winning percentage.

Riley was 46-42 in the same time frame, .522 winning percentage. Give me Paul Johnson and the triple option.

GT played 19 ranked teams during that time frame while Oregon St played 27.

4 of the 19 were from bowl games for GT. 1 of the 27 were from bowl games for Oregon St.

That option game was so much fun to watch. But any running game would have worked last night. GT's offensive line was opening some massive holes. And their backs blocked exceptionally well also. They looked like a solid, well coached team that really executes what they want to do.

Heh, heh, heh.....you said execute....

GT rushed for a Orange Bowl record 452 yards against a SEC team; the option can still work in college football but everyone jumped to the spread to run up the scores which sells more tickets. I for one would love to see us go back to running it with play action out of the pro set. The look on opposing teams defenses was classic when they knew what was coming and could not do anything to stop it.

That option game was so much fun to watch. But any running game would have worked last night. GT's offensive line was opening some massive holes. And their backs blocked exceptionally well also. They looked like a solid, well coached team that really executes what they want to do.

Part of what the option does is if makes it easier to create holes because defenders get out of position trying to figure out where the ball is going.

When all you have is one RB running in one direction, the defenders can flow to the play and be more aggressive as a group.

I really wouldn't hate going to the triple option - you need to get a pipeline that's solid, but there's a lot to like when running it. The option play itself is so hard to deal with if you don't see it regularly, and in addition it forces the corners to play on islands. If you get a couple decent receivers, you just pound pound pound BAM-30 yard pass. Lethal.

It's really weird that more programs don't look at the triple option as a way to try to take a step up as a program. I bet that boosters are a big reason why triple-op coaches don't get hired.

I really wouldn't hate going to the triple option - you need to get a pipeline that's solid, but there's a lot to like when running it. The option play itself is so hard to deal with if you don't see it regularly, and in addition it forces the corners to play on islands. If you get a couple decent receivers, you just pound pound pound BAM-30 yard pass. Lethal.

And you forgot about the play actions to the TE's that are by themselves that go for big chunks of yards...

I think it starts with having an offensive line, and a patient QB...

The beauty of Georgia Tech's rushing attack isn't just triple option. The plays just have an option "look" which is the beauty of it.

Instead of having the motion back running a speed option, which is what it looks like, they turn it into a rocket sweep. Or they have the motion back become a lead blocker on a QB keep.

Inside trap, outside G lead, midline lead, it was a thing of beauty. Utilizing ABSOLUTELY EVERYONE in the run game. QB's, RB's, FB's, WR's, and TE's. Everyone got to carry the ball. There was a time when they ran the inside trap about 4 times in a row. Each time successful.

The huge success is the QB running the whole deal. Nothing with GT has changed dramatically, but Thomas runs it about as well (not as well though) as our Husker greats. Kudos to him and to Paul Johnson. That was definitely a treat to watch.

• Fire 1

Wait a minute....it's very well documented that teams can't win with the triple option anymore. It's outdated. chuckleshuffle

Georgia tech triple option, is a tad bit different then what the husker ran back in the day.

The principles of all option schemes date back to two major influences: the two-back Veer formation, and the single wing formation. The Wishbone (popularized by Texas in the... 1950s I think?) combined elements of the Single wing (pulling guards, misdirection, inside and outside running attacks, chip blocks proceeding to secondary blocks, ext...) with elements of the Veer (more misdirection, and I think the earliest uses of the triple option... could be wrong... but most importantly, the read option. Reading an unblocked defender, forcing him to make a decision, and either decision would remove him from the play.)

The wishbone developed into the flexbone, the I formation, and (combined with the shotgun snap of the Single Wing and the West coast passing philosophy) the various spread formations. Including the modern spread option.

In fact, everything in football is so interconnected that, with a little creativity, you can run any kind of offensive system out of any kind of formation. I could run triple option out of an empty backfield with some creative pre and post snap motion. I know how to run power out of a 4 WR shotgun formation. I know how to run 5 verts out of a 3 TE power set. It's easy to do anything out of any formation once you realize two things: everything in football is related in some way, and everything has already been done before in some form or another.

Shotgun doesn't mean you can't run a FB-lead, pulling guard, between the tackles power dive.

3 TE doesn't mean you're limited only to power runs and short passes.

Triple option can be deadly. The "modern" variant is Auburn's run-pass option. All that is is a read option. If the DE plays contain, hand it off. If he crashes after the RB, the QB runs a naked bootleg. Then, the force player (usually the OLB or safety, identified pre-snap) will either attack the QB, in which case the QB throws it to the guy the defender was supposed to be covering for a good 7 yards (which is the "pitch" in the traditional triple option) or the defender stays in coverage and the QB scamper for 5 to 7 yards on a keeper. The exact same principles of the triple option thats been around since WWII, just the "pitch" replaced with a forward pass.

If you want examples, give me a play you want run out of any formation, and I'll post a playbook pic for it. :)

• Fire 1

Wait a minute....it's very well documented that teams can't win with the triple option anymore. It's outdated. chuckleshuffle

Georgia tech triple option, is a tad bit different then what the husker ran back in the day.

The principles of all option schemes date back to two major influences: the two-back Veer formation, and the single wing formation. The Wishbone (popularized by Texas in the... 1950s I think?) combined elements of the Single wing (pulling guards, misdirection, inside and outside running attacks, chip blocks proceeding to secondary blocks, ext...) with elements of the Veer (more misdirection, and I think the earliest uses of the triple option... could be wrong... but most importantly, the read option. Reading an unblocked defender, forcing him to make a decision, and either decision would remove him from the play.)

The wishbone developed into the flexbone, the I formation, and (combined with the shotgun snap of the Single Wing and the West coast passing philosophy) the various spread formations. Including the modern spread option.

In fact, everything in football is so interconnected that, with a little creativity, you can run any kind of offensive system out of any kind of formation. I could run triple option out of an empty backfield with some creative pre and post snap motion. I know how to run power out of a 4 WR shotgun formation. I know how to run 5 verts out of a 3 TE power set. It's easy to do anything out of any formation once you realize two things: everything in football is related in some way, and everything has already been done before in some form or another.

Shotgun doesn't mean you can't run a FB-lead, pulling guard, between the tackles power dive.

3 TE doesn't mean you're limited only to power runs and short passes.

Triple option can be deadly. The "modern" variant is Auburn's run-pass option. All that is is a read option. If the DE plays contain, hand it off. If he crashes after the RB, the QB runs a naked bootleg. Then, the force player (usually the OLB or safety, identified pre-snap) will either attack the QB, in which case the QB throws it to the guy the defender was supposed to be covering for a good 7 yards (which is the "pitch" in the traditional triple option) or the defender stays in coverage and the QB scamper for 5 to 7 yards on a keeper. The exact same principles of the triple option thats been around since WWII, just the "pitch" replaced with a forward pass.

If you want examples, give me a play you want run out of any formation, and I'll post a playbook pic for it. :)

this is an awesome awesome post.

Yes. I meant to say that twice

I like to back to the mid 90 and spread sets TO was using. Simple I formation with 3 receivers spread all the way across the field. Osborne was doing things out of the "spread" then that we call innovative today. How many times did we run QB power/iso/option out of shotgun 4 wides with Frost in 96-97? Hows about Fraziers 30 yards td run against Florida in the 3rd quarter from a 5 wide set?

This is pretty good stuff and could go round and round for hours.