Best Four Teams Before & After

URSS

Oregon, Ohio State, TCU and Alabama in that order. Michigan State had a great game, but needed a miracle to win.

They also have losses to Oregon and Ohio State. Good on them for scheduling Oregon in thier OOC, but they would have had to split those two games to even be considered for the playoff and rightfully so. I agree with your four teams, TCU may be the best team in the country, too bad they don't get a shot at the winner of the next game.

If the question is which four teams deserved it after playing in their bowl games, then it's obviously Oregon, OSU, Bama and FSU.

But if the bowl games only count for hindsight and don't count for actual resume, then FSU still deserved it and TCU's impressive bowl win doesn't change that.

What FSU's beat down will do is have the committee look at SOS more carefully. Being undefeated in a high school conference shouldn't mean as much as it did. But this is the begining of changing that mindset. At some point in time, if it stays at four teams (which it won't) then an undefeated team with a weak SOS, won't be a shoe in anymore. With the expansion, all it will do is give them a lower seed instead of missing the playoffs altogether.

If the question is which four teams deserved it after playing in their bowl games, then it's obviously Oregon, OSU, Bama and FSU.

But if the bowl games only count for hindsight and don't count for actual resume, then FSU still deserved it and TCU's impressive bowl win doesn't change that.

What FSU's beat down will do is have the committee look at SOS more carefully. Being undefeated in a high school conference shouldn't mean as much as it did. But this is the begining of changing that mindset. At some point in time, if it stays at four teams (which it won't) then an undefeated team with a weak SOS, won't be a shoe in anymore. With the expansion, all it will do is give them a lower seed instead of missing the playoffs altogether.

What are you talking about, FSU's schedule was as good as anybody's They played Notre Dame, OK State, and Florida OOC, and then beat Georgia Tech, Clemson, Louisville, and Miami in conference. The ACC was as good of conference as any of the other Power 5.

FSU played the #12, #17, and #21 ranked teams, and their P5 opponents had a combined record of 84-68.

TCU played the #5, #11, #24, and #25 ranked teams, and their P5 opponents had a combined record of 65-61.

Those are pretty comparable bodies of work. TCU has a slight edge, but the edge of being undefeated is greater.

Can't be too hard on the committee, as I think they got it right. We all knew FSU probably was a fraud, but an undefeated defending national champ will get in 100% of the time. They had no choice. If I were picking today:

Ohio St.

Oregon

TCU

Michigan St.

TCU got royally screwed over this year. If FSU drops one of the 7 or 8 games than came down to the final 5 min, they are in.

And yes lol at Notre Dame. I do think they are a dark horse for next year though. I watched their bowl game, every player seemed to be a frosh or soph, and they had a brutal schedule this year.

The committee didn't get TCU right. How can you move a team up to 3rd, then have that team win their next game by 50, and subsequently drop them to 5th. Boggles the mind.

To all the TCU lovers:

They finished SECOND in their conference. They lost the tie breaker to Baylor - big xii tried to manipulate it so TCU was co-champ. Only TRUE conference champions should be considered for the 4 team playoffs.

I think that is BS. The four best are what we are looking for. FSU had many squeakers that had to make people wonder. With all the information that the panel had I thought they would drop FSU out of the top 4, I could care less if they are undefeated or conference champion. Get the best team to play or you lose creditability. FSU being past champion should have nothing to do with it.

I agree, we will see SOS become more important in the next one.

I think that is BS. The four best are what we are looking for. FSU had many squeakers that had to make people wonder. With all the information that the panel had I thought they would drop FSU out of the top 4, I could care less if they are undefeated or conference champion. Get the best team to play or you lose creditability. FSU being past champion should have nothing to do with it.

I agree with the sentiment, but it is simply unrealistic. A P5 undefeated defending national champ will literally never be left out of a playoff. And quite frankly, they shouldn't be.
The previous season shouldn't have any bearing on the current season, but FSU deserved to be in the 4-team playoff after being the only undefeated power 5 conference team.

This is exactly why we needed a playoff. FSU "deserves" to be in and would have "deserved" to be in a two-team championship because they were the only team to win all their games. That is an accomplishment. Most people were very suspicious of them but you don't know for sure until they lose a game. A playoff was needed to "weed out" teams that go undefeated but really aren't that great. Just like Notre Dame two years ago.

To me it boils down to the committee doing what it was supposed to do. Pick the best four teams. I do not feel Florida State was one of the top four, honestly I would have had them behind TCU and Baylor. They got it because they were undefeated. Having it both ways is what happened. Ohio State showed they should be there after a terrible loss early in the season. For me it would have been very hard to decide between Baylor, TCU and Ohio State, but all would have been ahead of Florida State. I think either of the Texas schools would have made a better game of it for sure.

Few on here, I think, thought FSU were as good as the their record showed.

But I am extremely happy with final result, no SEC and no Florida State. That may come from my dislike for Winston and Jimbo over the past year.

Okay, so we just leave the "best" up to a committee and disregard that one team lost to another team and declare the losing team the best? Why even bother playing any games? Just let them vote on a winner at the beginning. If winning a conference doesn't make a team the best team in the conference, then who even cares about games? Better yet, they should just hand the trophies out based on a lottery system.

• Fire 1

FSU played the #12, #17, and #21 ranked teams, and their P5 opponents had a combined record of 84-68.

TCU played the #5, #11, #24, and #25 ranked teams, and their P5 opponents had a combined record of 65-61.

Those are pretty comparable bodies of work. TCU has a slight edge, but the edge of being undefeated is greater.

Big 12>>>>>>>>>>>America's Crapiest Conference, there is the difference between recorcords. I think the other four conferences are really close to each other in spite of what ESPN tries to tell us. The ACC has never been a good football conference and that is why Bobby Bowden ran to the ACC over the SEC in the early 1990's when they decided to finally join a conference and give up thier independence. Bobby even threatened to retire if they went to the SEC. In which the school admistrators wanted in spite of the Gators figthing to keep them out too.

There was nothing said about conference champions being in, win or lose. You are going to have 5 conference champions, one loses for sure. The Big 12 screwed the pooch no question, if they had a champion declared, one champion was not getting in. I think Ohio State deserved it over Florida State. But like I said, only by the slightest of margins.

You need to have 8 teams for that to be a legitimate argument. Like I said I would not want to make the choice between the three, but most likely would have put the Texas schools above Ohio State. They lost to ranked teams. But it was close. Florida State bumbled along, barely winning games as a top 4 team they should have killed.

Sometimes wins are not as valued as other teams wins. Florida State got a big boost for beating Oklahoma State the first game, then beating a Notre Dame team that fell through its ass. Game of the century claims.

I trusted the experts, you know Tom Osborne, Barry Alverez and a few others. I understood it to mean each game would be looked at for its merits. I would bet there was some different feelings about Florida State.

I really do not think CC should be a given. Some conferences are tougher than others each year.

Nebraska makes it to the CCG undefeated, loses by 1 point in overtime to Ohio State undefeated.

Baylor loses to TCU and Texas, but all others have three losses. Are they better than a 1 loss Nebraska? Who knows.

I think we will see improvement in the playoff situation, not complaining about it at all.

What if Marshall had gone undefeated, would it be worth a playoff slot, hell the could not even get ranked till the last game.