Grantland: Ranking College Football’s New Head Coaching Hires

Just one other thing to think about, since 2008 MR's been 7-23 against top 25 opponents...

Pelini was 8-19, with 1-6 in the last three years. 0-4 this year.

and thats my point, we got the same guy, just without the douchebaggery...

How do we know he will put up the same, better or worst numbers than pelini? He hasn't coached a game yet.

Pelini had the same numbers as Osborne in certain areas as well, and he sure as hell is no TO.

Bottom line, Imo, looking at simply his win loss record, there is no reason to be excited. The only real data is his record.

On the other hand there is the " he can develop talent", he has tons of experience, his staff has coached at all levels. The only issue I have, is even with all this, the career record sucks..........

I am hopeful with better facilities, alleged monies, etc Riley can put together a winning program. Right now he has a lot of potential and is currently undefeated as NU's HC.

Just one other thing to think about, since 2008 MR's been 7-23 against top 25 opponents...

How do we know he will put up the same, better or worst numbers than pelini? He hasn't coached a game yet.

Pelini had the same numbers as Osborne in certain areas as well, and he sure as hell is no TO.

And thats exactly why I don't see why folks are getting excited over the prospect of him being the HC...

And thats exactly why I don't see why folks are getting excited over the prospect of him being the HC...

Definitely agree with that. I like most of his hires except for Banker. But I am not going to be excited or condemn this staff until they at least get a season in the books.

The fact that you think they're even remotely similar pretty much immolates your credibility.

• Fire 1

One major difference. At OSU he was out recruited by every single one of those top 25 teams. So those were upsets. We have out recruited a lot of those top 25 teams we have lost to.

• Fire 1

The fact that you think they're even remotely similar pretty much immolates your credibility.

Well they look different, I'm sure they're not married to the same gal, they probably don't watch the same tv shows...

And the fact you actually spoke in an actual sentence and didn't use jackass words, I'm proud of you...

• Fire 1

How do you not see how wrong this is? We got someone with a similar record against Top 25 teams but he was doing it with inferior players to his opponents whereas, in most cases, Pelini was not.

• Fire 4

How do you not see how wrong this is? We got someone with a similar record against Top 25 teams but he was doing it with inferior players to his opponents whereas, in most cases, Pelini was not.

This. How people still can't wrap their minds around this is baffling.

Plus 1.

So if his record against top 25 teams improves, I have no problem admitting I'm wrong, but until that happens...