Grantland: Ranking College Football’s New Head Coaching Hires

Here is the thing...you can't have it both ways...

If Riley was "great" at OSU in spite of the crappy ranked players, YMCA weight room, crummy stadium and no money...then you have to be okay with fans expecting amazing results in year one at NU.

11 wins...easy.

I've never understood the "If he's such a good coach, give him one year" argument.

We didn't even change offensive staff once or twice and people were understanding of giving time for the schematic changes on offense.

I am not sure if we are saying the same thing, but, I don't think it takes "years" to install a system...His offense and defense should be in and ready to go...that is your job.

If Riley was "great" at OSU in spite of the crappy ranked players, YMCA weight room, crummy stadium and no money...then you have to be okay with fans expecting amazing results in year one at NU.

11 wins...easy.

I've never understood the "If he's such a good coach, give him one year" argument.

We didn't even change offensive staff once or twice and people were understanding of giving time for the schematic changes on offense.

I am not sure if we are saying the same thing, but, I don't think it takes "years" to install a system...His offense and defense should be in and ready to go...that is your job.
Belichick won 6 games his first year with Cleveland and 5 games his first year with New England. Neither of those years defined what he could do as a coach. Which is what you're trying to do with Riley. He could win 11 next year, and it might not mean much overall. Look at what Hoke did in year one at Michigan. We could struggle next season and win the conference in year 2 or 4 or whatever. Your logic here is faulty at best.
  • Fire 3

11 wins...easy.

Belichick won 6 games his first year with Cleveland and 5 games his first year with New England. Neither of those years defined what he could do as a coach. Which is what you're trying to do with Riley. He could win 11 next year, and it doesn't mean much overall. Look at what Hoke did in year one at Michigan. We could struggle next season and win the conference in year 2 or 4 or whatever. Your logic here is faulty at best.

Okay...you are right.

• Fire 1

I don't care what his "disadvantages" were. He had losing seasons in 3 of his last 5 years and lost to two FCS schools. That he is not highly regarded as someone to become the head coach at the University of Nebraska is hardly surprising.

He's only not highly regarded by those afflicted with acute butthurt.

While I can appreciate your tact in the use of the word "butthurt", I didn't write the article.......which certainly doesn't hold Riley in high regard for what he, and others, think Nebraska should be able to do.

I don't care what his "disadvantages" were. He had losing seasons in 3 of his last 5 years and lost to two FCS schools. That he is not highly regarded as someone to become the head coach at the University of Nebraska is hardly surprising.

While I can appreciate your tact in the use of the word "butthurt", I didn't write the article.......which certainly doesn't hold Riley in high regard for what he, and others, think Nebraska should be able to do.
he was who shawn eichorst wanted.

We all know Eichorst wanted Polo but they couldn't agree to a bold flavor compromise.

We all know Eichorst wanted Polo but they couldn't agree to a bold flavor compromise.

I come with quite the demand list, kimosabe.

We have resources, but they're not unlimited.
  • Fire 1

Thank you.
Not examining the whole situation usually makes one look the fool.

After all, The Sker was all too eager to point what disadvantages the previous coach had to deal with.

• Fire 2

Thank you.
After all, The Sker was all too eager to point what disadvantages the previous coach had to deal with.
ouch. Chalk it up to Polo. This one is over.

I've been curious as to why Oregon State suddenly seems to care about football. They are paying Andersen a million more than they were paying Riley. As soon as Riley leaves they announce a huge plan for facility upgrades. I'm not going to lie, that's part of what makes me nervous about the hire.

Also a 61 year old is not an up and coming head coach, you know what he does, you know who he wants to work with, etc. That is why his hire is low ranking in my opinion. Chances are he doesn't stay coaching long enough to get the big turn around we Husker fans hope for.

Looking at "blue chip" recruits in the 2013-2014 class, here are some comparisons. (Blue chip is 4 or 5 star)

NU 30% of recruits blue chip. Down 28% from 2011-2012

Oregon St. 2% blue chip. Even from 2011-12

For reference, NU was 3rd in the B1G. Oregon State was 11th in the PAC 12.....

Good article here.

http://www.sbnation.com/college-football-recruiting/2014/2/18/5312840/college-football-recruiting-teams-championships

Hard to win, when your recruiting is that poor. Then again, NU should have been in the mix every year in the B1G.

• Fire 1

Thank you.
Not examining the whole situation usually makes one look the fool.

I've not claimed Pelini had any disadvantages......nor do I have any concern for Pelini. I'm sure he's doing just fine in Ohio on a predominantly Nebraska paid salary.