Banker Defensive Philosophy

Mavric

remember when pinkel had a top ten team in 2010, but kept running an empty-back set and we kept destroying immobile gabbert?

man, those offenses were custom built for bo to shutdown. but just a slightly mobile qb., even texas' that year, would ruin the whole scheme.

hard to imagine how there could be such a disparity in performance, both offensively and defensively, from bo's teams here.

Since 2008, no Power Five/BCS team has had a better statistical run defense than Mark Banker's 2007 Oregon State unit.

Now is that measured in yards per game? Yards per attempt? How does it compare with their pass defense in '07? What about the teams they played? How did they normally fair running and passing the ball?

These kinds of stats are something you cant put much stock into, cuz there's too many variables.

• Fire 1

That bunch gave up 2.05 YPC and 70.6 rushing yards per game. Since then, only TCU (in 2008/Mountain West) was statistically better.

Wow. Pretty impressive. They must have had a good pass rush too. Sacks count as a rushing stat attempt.

I'm anxious to see how our defense does with Banker/Hughes/Bray/Warren at the helm. So glad to be done with the Pelini/Paps/Kaz/Els/Warren group.

I wouldn't get too excited over some stat from 2007. They finished 9-4 and beat Maryland in the Emerald Bowl. They got beat badly by Cincy, UCLA and also lost to Arizona St. and USC. I wish them all the luck and hopefully they can turn it around in Lincoln.

Yep, everyone knows defensive success all year (and perhaps even in losses) doesn't count because 4 teams beat you right? :sarcasm

UCLA - had a lead until 9 minutes left in the 4th quarter...then UCLA just blew up for 4 scores. This says more about depth than anything else I think. Finished the year 6-7 for UCLA.

Cincinatti - 17-3 with 6 minutes left in the 3rd quarter...then once again, the wheels came off...seeing a pattern yet? Think depth might have been an issue against no huddle rushing offenses? The blocked punt that put Cinci up 27-3 didn't help either. Cincy went on to lose 3 games this year by a total of 16 points. Finished the year in the top 20.

Arizona State - OSU actually led at halftime and went up 26-13 after their first drive in the 3rd quarter. Then suddenly, 4 minutes left in the 3rd quarter...the wheels came off again. Hrm...I wonder if depth could have been an issue here too? It was 26-34 until 8 minutes left in the 4th quarter...5 turnovers from OSU...I'm thinking the defense did a bang up job only letting AZ St score 44.

USC - Oddity here. No one scored in the second half at all. Only 287 yards of offense from USC...2nd lowest output all year. I think the Offense lost this one for Oregon State...seems that the defense was doing all it needed to in order to beat this team. USC finished the year ranked in the top 5.

So, for starters...Banker at OSU is never going to have the depth that he can get at a different program. He's going to have to supplement with players who just aren't as good as his starters. I think, at a program like Nebraska, he flourishes. I think his chance of succeeding is pretty good and I think Hank Hughes being his DL coach makes that chance go up even higher.

I also think that Michigan State could have asked anyone this year about Oregon's offense...but they came to Banker. Think about that...Narduzzi came to Banker. He wouldn't do that if Banker was a horrible coach.

Anyway, just wanted to give a little info on everything...I think Banker will do just fine.

I hope you are right about depth being the root cause. I hope the cause is not a failure to adjust after the opposing offense made adjustments.