Joe Ganz on OWH The Bottom Line today

However, if you lock down the best players from the "500 mile radius" you are probably getting very talented guys who can play on the o-line on offense and d-line and LB on defense. Then the coaches can go to the "speed states" for the skill positions. It will always be a mix. Nobody is saying "NU needs to only recruit in the surrounding states" and nobody is saying "NU can just forget about recruiting in NE, SD, KS, CO, IA, and MO, and only recruit in TX, CA, and the South."

And what I'm saying is that you're spending too much time in CO if you think Nebraska can lock down the 500 miles radius considering the change we've seen over the last 20 years. Missouri can out-recruit Nebraska for the best KC kids....they do almost every year. Nebraska is lucky to pull 2-3 of the top 15 MO recruits - and that has NOTHING to do with Pelini's recruiting and everything to do w/ the competition he faces in that state versus 20 years ago.

Because I like pictures (and I stole this from my other thread)...

4 & 5 * guys signed by the B1G

5omT9yV.jpg

4 & 5 * guys signed by Power 5

2jhq8Pz.jpg

Data is from here: http://www.cornnation.com/2014/2/12/5404912/college-football-recruits-2002-2014-map-location

I added the radius overlays.

• Fire 4

Those maps pretty much sums up everything that needs to be pointed out to Soup. However, doubt if he sees it.

No I see it, and this shows exactly what I've been saying. There is talent everywhere. We can get it close, and we can get from far away. Why limit ourselves to the 500 mile radius? You expand that circle by just 200 miles. Hundreds of recruits come into play. But everyone says we can't compete with anyone, so let's stay in our little corner and sob, because we don't have enough recruits to pick from. Nebraska is a blueblood program. There should be no reason Auburn or Florida St. is anywhere close to Kansas and Oklahoma. But we sure as hell better be in Florida and Alabama trying to poach some of their recruits, because in the grand scheme of things Nebraska is a greater program than either of those two. (maybe not for the past 5-10 years, but we have a hell of a lot more to offer than either of those programs, if someone would just try and sell it)

Nebraska USED to command the respect that Alabama did on the recruiting trail (did you notice how many Alabama stickers are spread all over the USA?), now the fan mentality is just sad. We can't compete, it takes to much effort to fly kids in. What about their poor parents coming to see them play? Can't bring kids in on gameday because it interferes with someone watching cartoons on Saturday morning.

Those maps pretty much sums up everything that needs to be pointed out to Soup. However, doubt if he sees it.

No I see it, and this shows exactly what I've been saying. There is talent everywhere. We can get it close, and we can get from far away. Why limit ourselves to the 500 mile radius? You expand that circle by just 200 miles. Hundreds of recruits come into play. But everyone says we can't compete with anyone, so let's stay in our little corner and sob, because we don't have enough recruits to pick from. Nebraska is a blueblood program. There should be no reason Auburn or Florida St. is anywhere close to Kansas and Oklahoma. But we sure as hell better be in Florida and Alabama trying to poach some of their recruits, because in the grand scheme of things Nebraska is a greater program than either of those two. (maybe not for the past 5-10 years, but we have a hell of a lot more to offer than either of those programs, if someone would just try and sell it)

Nebraska USED to command the respect that Alabama did on the recruiting trail (did you notice how many Alabama stickers are spread all over the USA?), now the fan mentality is just sad. We can't compete, it takes to much effort to fly kids in. What about their poor parents coming to see them play? Can't bring kids in on gameday because it interferes with someone watching cartoons on Saturday morning.

Why stop at 700? I hear Europe has some pretty good football players.

However, if you lock down the best players from the "500 mile radius" you are probably getting very talented guys who can play on the o-line on offense and d-line and LB on defense. Then the coaches can go to the "speed states" for the skill positions. It will always be a mix. Nobody is saying "NU needs to only recruit in the surrounding states" and nobody is saying "NU can just forget about recruiting in NE, SD, KS, CO, IA, and MO, and only recruit in TX, CA, and the South."

And what I'm saying is that you're spending too much time in CO if you think Nebraska can lock down the 500 miles radius considering the change we've seen over the last 20 years. Missouri can out-recruit Nebraska for the best KC kids....they do almost every year. Nebraska is lucky to pull 2-3 of the top 15 MO recruits - and that has NOTHING to do with Pelini's recruiting and everything to do w/ the competition he faces in that state versus 20 years ago.

Sorry, I missed the point of your message. I agree that that Missouri and Arkansas and other programs have changed the landscape of recruiting. That doesn't mean that NU shouldn't put a lot of effort in the Missouri area.

Soup, you are missing the point. Nobody said that NU is limiting itself to the 500 mile radius. However, NU can start its "recruiting focus" on the 500 mile radius. That's a big difference that you don't seem to be grasping.

I am with Soup...Why stop in America? Someone said Europe...great, sure there are players in Europe but it is clear that you guys still don't get it!

What about the moon? Why not Saturn? Venus and Mars are kinda close...for all we know those could be fertile recruiting grounds.

You are either in it for the right reasons or you are not going to win. I only hope that Riley has got in touch with NASA...my fear is getting ANYONE from Saturn or Neptune through the NCAA clearinghouse...what a pain.

• Fire 1

I am with Soup...Why stop in America? Someone said Europe...great, sure there are players in Europe but it is clear that you guys still don't get it!

What about the moon? Why not Saturn? Venus and Mars are kinda close...for all we know those could be fertile recruiting grounds.

You are either in it for the right reasons or you are not going to win. I only hope that Riley has got in touch with NASA...my fear is getting ANYONE from Saturn or Neptune through the NCAA clearinghouse...what a pain.

Forget NASA, we need to get Sir Richard Branson as a NU booster so the coaches can use Virgin Galactic to recruit the moon and nearby planets.

Who has said there isn't any recruits within 500 miles? I'm pretty sure everyone is agreeing we need to lock down that area. Nebraska coaching staffs have been talking about that for years.

The point you seem to be either blind to or ignoring is the numbers of top recruits around us compared to around southeastern schools or Michigan or OSU. It pretty much makes your, "what's the deal about getting on a plane and flying into Lincoln compared to Tallahassee" comment pretty meaningless.

Why start at 500? It's much easier to drive a 1 hour than 6. Nice strawman though.

Why start at 500? It's much easier to drive a 1 hour than 6. Nice strawman though.

I think NU should pull their football roster from the normal student body. Think how much money they could save on recruiting and scholarship costs!!!

Well because, generally speaking, 500 miles is usually the point at which it is a reasonable drive for a weekend trip. Why are you a fan of Nebraska? Does it have anything to do with the proximity of the school?

• Fire 1