247 Says DPE Performed Like a Five-Star Recruit

Mavric

In every class there are players who aren’t ranked five-stars by the recruiting industry that end up performing like five-star prospects during their true freshman seasons at their respective college programs.

Here’s a look at five “outliers” from the 2014 cycle- players that did not rate five stars, but who performed like it during the season.

<snip>

Demornay Pierson-El, KR, Nebraska

Recruiting Industry Average Rank: 388.25

247Sports Composite Rating: 0.8460 (three stars)

The Huskers found Pierson-El just outside of D.C. at West Potomac High in Alexandria, Va., and he was one of the best punt returners (17.3 yards per return, three touchdowns) in the B1G this past season while also contributing in the kickoff return department (147 yards on 10 attempts). Pierson-El has explosive, electric ability with the ball in his hands and should continue to make big plays for the Huskers moving forward. The type of impact he made straight out of the gate was that of a five-star prospect.

Link

• Fire 1

it's too bad the former staff (golf coach) spent so much time recruiting the East Coast. I've read that the new staff should spend more time evaluating Nebraska kids -- after all, some folks made it sound like NU made a HUGE MISTAKE not offering that Urzendowski kid who basically won the championship for North Dakota State.

• Fire 2

He's the best player we have now.

Can't say I disagree. Imagine the season he woulda had if Beck tried to get him the ball all those times he tried to get Alonzo Moore the ball instead.

Agreed! Beck was not best at using the right personnel (Pierson-El? ZING!). The fact that Bell was a decoy on the game winning TD vs Iowa is the reason I went "WTF?" a lot. Also, how Hovey was to get the ball over Westerkamp for our last play vs. MSU? I remember one time during the UCLA game in 2013 when UCLA took the lead, it was 3rd and 10, and TM threw a good ball to Wullenwaber and he dropped it. First down if he catches it. On a team that had Kenny Bell, Jamal Turner, Quincy Enunwa, and Jordan Westerkamp, WTF was Wullenwaber doing on the field in a "must get a first down" situation? I will forever be pissed about that.

Can't say I disagree. Imagine the season he woulda had if Beck tried to get him the ball all those times he tried to get Alonzo Moore the ball instead.

Agreed! Beck was not best at using the right personnel (Pierson-El? ZING!). The fact that Bell was a decoy on the game winning TD vs Iowa is the reason I went "WTF?" a lot. Also, how Hovey was to get the ball over Westerkamp for our last play vs. MSU? I remember one time during the UCLA game in 2013 when UCLA took the lead, it was 3rd and 10, and TM threw a good ball to Wullenwaber and he dropped it. First down if he catches it. On a team that had Kenny Bell, Jamal Turner, Quincy Enunwa, and Jordan Westerkamp, WTF was Wullenwaber doing on the field in a "must get a first down" situation? I will forever be pissed about that.

You do know that when pass plays are called, theyre not 100% certain to go to the player you want, right? As the routes develope, and the coverage rotates, a lot of times the guy you want to get ball wont get the ball. You have to go to the open guy.

You do know that when pass plays are called, theyre not 100% certain to go to the player you want, right? As the routes develope, and the coverage rotates, a lot of times the guy you want to get ball wont get the ball. You have to go to the open guy.
Facts don't matter.

Facts don't matter.

Apparently.......

I'm not an idiot, I can tell you a lot about the play that I am talking about. Firstly, it was a four verticals concept, in this case, UCLA is blitzing, and based on the coverage, the outside WR's can run the fade or comeback. Considering the inside seam would clear the FS from being anywhere near the comeback, the comeback was the route run. It is obvious, based on coverage, TM's 3 step drop and the blitz where TM is going, the comeback. Who is running the comeback? Wullenwaber. He's the outside WR, meanwhile, Bell, Westerkamp, and Carter all run their prospective verticals. Enunwa sits on the sideline with Turner watching.

I'm not an idiot, I can tell you a lot about the play that I am talking about. Firstly, it was a four verticals concept, in this case, UCLA is blitzing, and based on the coverage, the outside WR's can run the fade or comeback. Considering the inside seam would clear the FS from being anywhere near the comeback, the comeback was the route run. It is obvious, based on coverage, TM's 3 step drop and the blitz where TM is going, the comeback. Who is running the comeback? Wullenwaber. He's the outside WR, meanwhile, Bell, Westerkamp, and Carter all run their prospective verticals. Enunwa sits on the sideline with Turner watching.

All those guys you listed?, they all had cases of the dropsies too. You can complain and analyze the personeel and playcall all you want. Bottom line is, they guy was open, the ball was thrown to the right guy, and he dropped it.

All those guys you listed?, they all had cases of the dropsies too. You can complain and analyze the personeel and playcall all you want. Bottom line is, they guy was open, the ball was thrown to the right guy, and he dropped it.

You really think Dallas Cowboys throw the damn ball in critical situations to Terrance Williams? No, the damn ball is going to flippin' Dez Bryant. It would be stupid not to throw to one of your best players.

On a 3rd and long, you throw to one of your best players. You put out the best players out there, because a 3 and out after UCLA just took the lead is not how you win a football game. Am I wrong here? And if I am, sorry to Beck for that, sorry for suggesting we have our best players out on the field on a 3rd and long...