It's not all about stars

Stars are based on athletic ability & HS play. It does not take into consideration what is between the ears, meaning football IQ & ability too learn.

I believe they base the ranking system on college projections. I believe rivals has a chart that specifies what each rating means.

Correct. The thing that is hard to weigh is football IQ, work ethic & mentality. Ameer was a 3 star, but had all of these intangibles!

Stars are based on athletic ability & HS play. It does not take into consideration what is between the ears, meaning football IQ & ability too learn.

I believe they base the ranking system on college projections. I believe rivals has a chart that specifies what each rating means.

Correct. The thing that is hard to weigh is football IQ, work ethic & mentality. Ameer was a 3 star, but had all of these intangibles!

Seems like he was sort of considered a tweener, teams didn't know if he was a DB or RB etc. Most schools of our caliber wanted him as a DB I believe

• 1 month later...

People like numbers, and Sean Callahan works for Rivals. It's especially pertinent to him :)

It was a good first round for Rivals. 50% of the first round picks came from a pool of roughly 1000 players. The other 50% came from a pool of probably an order of magnitude greater.