Deflate-gate

GSG

The NFL will likely appeal, and they have some good arguments to support such an appeal.

The NFL might also contend that Judge Berman altered the agreed-upon rules for the settlement hearings and in such a way that influenced the outcome. Both the NFL and NFLPA agreed that “no discovery is needed to adjudicate the parties’ motions” and that a decision would instead be based on the record used by Goodell in Brady’s appeal.
While this framework did not categorically preclude Judge Berman from speaking with persons outside the record, it raises questions about the potential influence of those conversations on the judge’s decision.
This seems especially at issue in regards to former New York Jets kicker Jay Feely, who attended Monday’s hearing as a member of the NFLPA’s executive committee. In an interview with CBS Sports Radio host Doug Gottlieb, Feely revealed that he spoke with Judge Berman about an incident in 2009 where the NFL sanctioned a Jets equipment assistant for possibly tampering with a kicking ball.

http://www.si.com/nfl/2015/09/03/deflategate-tom-brady-suspension-overturned-roger-goodell-nfl-nflpa

Here's my attitude towards this. In the grand scheme of things, I really don't give a crap. I'm pretty sure the NFL (if they have a brain) will have a system in place to verify the balls are inflated correctly.

But, here's my problem with this decision. Now, every single player that is suspended for breaking rules is going to head straight to court and it's going to be this big court case. If you break the rules, pay the price. Simple as that. Just because you make millions to play a game doesn't mean you should run off to fight for your right to break those rules without punishment.

Here's my attitude towards this. In the grand scheme of things, I really don't give a crap. I'm pretty sure the NFL (if they have a brain) will have a system in place to verify the balls are inflated correctly.

But, here's my problem with this decision. Now, every single player that is suspended for breaking rules is going to head straight to court and it's going to be this big court case. If you break the rules, pay the price. Simple as that. Just because you make millions to play a game doesn't mean you should run off to fight for your right to break those rules without punishment.

Also I seriously doubt that he's the first QB to do this. Wouldn't surprise me if a bunch of guys did. Not that that makes it right. It's just hard to justify totally crucifying the first guy who they decide to crack down on.

Also I seriously doubt that he's the first QB to do this. Wouldn't surprise me if a bunch of guys did. Not that that makes it right. It's just hard to justify totally crucifying the first guy who they decide to crack down on.

Meh....just because he is the first guy that gets caught doesn't mean he shouldn't be punished.

Look, the guy's name and image has been drug through the mud on this the entire time after he won the Super Bowl. No, I'm not crying any tears for the guy.

It's time to move on. I will guarantee you that he and any other QB that is thinking about this is going to think real hard before they do it and probably won't.

Serious question. Do you really think this changed the outcome of the SB? They won the SB because Seattle made the dumbest offensive play call on the two yard line at the end of the game.

The happiest guy in the entire issue is the Seattle OC because immediately everyone stopped talking about how stupid he was.

Report: Patriots' Spygate scandal was bigger in scope than first realized

[Patriots were] found to have "a library of scouting material containing videotapes of opponents' signals, with detailed notes matching signals to plays for many teams going back seven seasons." There were 40 games worth of tapes, ESPN said.

ESPN said the Patriots knew 75 percent of the Buccaneers' defenses that day and the Pats "realized that they were on to something." A former Patriots assistant, who wasn't named, told ESPN the system of videotaping signals and cataloging signals "got out of control."

Former New England coaches and employees are cited as describing an even more effective cheating system:

"Several of them acknowledge that during pregame warm-ups, a low-level Patriots employee would sneak into the visiting locker room and steal the play sheet, listing the first 20 or so scripted calls for the opposing team's offense."

• Fire 1

Per Roger Goodell it is o.k. to beat your women, it is o.k. to cheat. Worst commissioner in all of sports. The NFL is such a joke anymore largely due to it's commissioner. He hits the team harder than the guy who actually cheated. WTF.

Perhaps this answers your question.

And the following is quoted for truth:

Two separate incidents resulting in the forfeiture of first round draft picks for the Patriots under Belichick. I have to wonder what else they have pulled over the years that no one ever caught wind of.

I think this is what Patriots fans fail to understand about why people are making a big deal out of this.

That one is really the key point here: Judge Berman wasn’t ruling on whether Brady was involved with or “generally aware” of deflated footballs. He was judging the legality of the NFL’s investigatory and disciplinary procedures...[/size]

People love to make Goodell out to be some villian, but lets not act like this isn't more systemic cheating by the Patriots organization. Unfortunately, the NFL's policies were not sound enough to catch them again.

• Fire 1
  • 2 weeks later...

To tag along with this, it's embarrassing that this was something that ended up in a federal court. As a professional sporting organization, there has to be a way to levy punishments against players/teams in a fair way. There's no question the NFL systemically failed with their investigation, and the Ted Wells report couldn't find a definitive answer to whether Brady cheated or not.

Judge Berman's court ruling though dealt more with the investigative process the NFL used, not whether Tom Brady deflated footballs. The strange thing though is that even though the ruling doesn't accuse or liberate Brady, it still removed his suspension. That seems like a bit of a gray area to me.

I personally believe Brady cheated just based on the evidence presented. There was enough smoke there for me. But, the NFL also did a really piss poor job of gathering proper evidence against him due to their own limitations.

Good stuff, Enhance.

It seems like some wanted the NFL to have to find a "smoking gun." That was never going to happen. Still, circumstantial evidence, such as the text message logs and timeline of the ballboy in "bathroom," is still admissible evidence.

I also believe Brady cheated, and this ruling certainly doesn't rule that he did not.