Husker athletes need a book or parking permit? There's a fund for that

Saunders

UNL room and board is $9,961.00

Full-ride student-athletes get this amount no matter what. If you live off campus, get a place with a few teammates, you'll probably spend about $350 max on rent per month. Over the course of an entire year, that is $4200.

So football players that live off campus get a check cut for the difference between $9961 and $4200 (estimate), which is $5,761, to spend on whatever the hell they want.

I don't think so. If they eat at a(the) training table they should not get the "board" portion of the $9961.

It's 100% accurate, room and board is part of the scholarship and paid no matter if the athlete lives on or off campus.

Basically the extra 3,600 is fun money so the NCAA can say the athletes are paid. Once someone factors in the "20" hours a week the player can use outside of practice for film study, etc. we will see outcry that they are making less than minimum wage and this debate will start all over again.

I don't think so. If they eat at a(the) training table they should not get the "board" portion of the $9961.

It's 100% accurate, room and board is part of the scholarship and paid no matter if the athlete lives on or off campus.

Basically the extra 3,600 is fun money so the NCAA can say the athletes are paid. Once someone factors in the "20" hours a week the player can use outside of practice for film study, etc. we will see outcry that they are making less than minimum wage and this debate will start all over again.

That's just it, if they want to factor in the "20" hours, then NCAA can come back and factor in the Scholarship "money and etc." that they are getting each year and I wouldn't doubt that they make more then I do.

UNL room and board is $9,961.00

Full-ride student-athletes get this amount no matter what. If you live off campus, get a place with a few teammates, you'll probably spend about $350 max on rent per month. Over the course of an entire year, that is $4200.

So football players that live off campus get a check cut for the difference between $9961 and $4200 (estimate), which is $5,761, to spend on whatever the hell they want.

Back tats and not electric bills

Are these really costs to attend a college?

Since you insist on making this difficult: having a discussion about it is difficult for you?

Phone bill, ​Guarantee you 99% of these kids already had a cell phone before they ever were even recruited. Did something change?

cable/satellite bill, Entertainment?

electric bill, gas bill, Pretty sure this can be covered in the stipend they already get if they live off campus.

gasoline, insurance,For what? Lot's of kids go to college especially in larger cities without cars.

food, beverages, snacks, clothes, shoes, socks, underwear, ​Pretty much already covered.

car payments, Really???? :facepalm:

bus fares, airline tickets, Pretty sure plane tickets back home are already covered.

etc., etc., etc. Ok...this one pretty much sums it up.

If you had scholarships to pay for all that, congratulations. You are in the extremely minute minority. No, no scholarships but I did work 30 - 40 hours per week while going to school full time and I still didn't have the things these guys already have.

As expected, you complain about no offering specifics then dismiss them. Are the expenses you incur in college? Then yes. A lot of the point is they don't have time for regular jobs and they are restricted on what jobs they can get so they don't necessarily have the cash for the other expenses that come up. Just because you don't like them doesn't mean they're not legit.

You are "pretty sure" about a lot of things. Since you'd like to know so much, why don't you do the research and get back to us.

Since you insist on making this difficult:

Phone bill - if they pay their own phone, kudos, but did they only decide to own a cell phone the second they enrolled here?

cable/satellite bill, electric bill, gas bill, - if you live on campus you don't pay for any of this, and if you live off-campus you get a check cut for the difference in cost (read: off campus is way cheaper but you still get the on-campus money) to pay for all of this and then some.

gasoline, - already covered and taken care of before the COA stipends came into existence

insurance - these kids likely already have insurance under their parents. if they don't, i don't know what NCAA/Nebraska policy is, but students get access to a lot of free healthcare benefits,

food, beverages, snacks, - please. they have dedicated full-time nutritionists and cooks that provide them with any food need they would ever have as part of their scholarship

clothes, shoes, socks, underwear, - they get dozens and dozens of each of these things from adidas, and again, the fund that has existed for years allows them to buy more. they also get a $500 clothing voucher yearly

car payments, bus fares, airline tickets, etc., etc., etc. - are you even paying attention to the thread?

If you had scholarships to pay for all that, congratulations. You are in the extremely minute minority. - yes, student athletes do, and have, have it very, very very good.

Gas - How much gas is covered?

Insurance - is there only one kind?

Food - and all those athletes you say are living off compus are still going back to campus for every meal every day?

Clothing - And the only places they ever go are places where everyoone is wearing athletic clothing? Where is th clothing voucher good to be used at? How much clothing can you get for $500?

Airline tickets - Are you?

So you think the grand total of everything an average college kid spends money on amounts to less than $500 per month?

I don't get the angst towards this. It's a drop in the bucket for our Athletic Department. Hell, we spent more on just one associate AD that was hired about 18 months ago that we do on this entire fund. Plus, it's given back to the university by the NCAA.

Personally, I'd rather we put more money back to the kids instead of hiring another muppet to fill the AD.

• Fire 2

Phone bill - if they pay their own phone, kudos, but did they only decide to own a cell phone the second they enrolled here?

cable/satellite bill, electric bill, gas bill, - if you live on campus you don't pay for any of this, and if you live off-campus you get a check cut for the difference in cost (read: off campus is way cheaper but you still get the on-campus money) to pay for all of this and then some.

gasoline, - already covered and taken care of before the COA stipends came into existence

insurance - these kids likely already have insurance under their parents. if they don't, i don't know what NCAA/Nebraska policy is, but students get access to a lot of free healthcare benefits,

food, beverages, snacks, - please. they have dedicated full-time nutritionists and cooks that provide them with any food need they would ever have as part of their scholarship

clothes, shoes, socks, underwear, - they get dozens and dozens of each of these things from adidas, and again, the fund that has existed for years allows them to buy more. they also get a $500 clothing voucher yearly

car payments, bus fares, airline tickets, etc., etc., etc. - are you even paying attention to the thread?

If you had scholarships to pay for all that, congratulations. You are in the extremely minute minority. - yes, student athletes do, and have, have it very, very very good.

Gas - How much gas is covered?

Insurance - is there only one kind?

Food - and all those athletes you say are living off compus are still going back to campus for every meal every day?

Clothing - And the only places they ever go are places where everyoone is wearing athletic clothing? Where is th clothing voucher good to be used at? How much clothing can you get for $500?

Airline tickets - Are you?

So you think the grand total of everything an average college kid spends money on amounts to less than $500 per month?

After tuition, fees and room is paid for along with most of my food?

Ummm...yeah....I could live off that easily as a college kid.

To be clear. I don't have "angst" over this. I'm simply saying call it what it is. It's paying the players and my biggest problem with it is what I said months ago when it first was talked about. USC can and will pay more to each player because of "cost of living". Well, some 18 year old kid from a poor family is not going to have a clue what "cost of living" is. All he is going to see is hey....if I go to USC, I get paid $6,000 per year. If I go to Nebraska, I get $3,600.

The NCAA and the schools are trying to disguise this as some "total cost of attendance" when in reality, they are setting themselves up for more problems the way they are doing it.

There seem to be several misconceptions around the clothing.

First, the $500 annual voucher is not a voucher. You bring in receipts and the school cuts you a check. It is on the school to keep track. But you have to qualify for a pell grant to take advantage of the program.

Second, the clothing deal with adidas is only providing clothing for practice and competition. There is also some cold weather gear thrown in. There are not dozens of anything provided. A few shirts and shorts, a few pairs of socks, and some shoes are the lions share of what gets handed out. You could make nice with the equipment folk and score a few more small things when you needed them but that was about the only abuse you could get away with from my experience.

• Fire 4

Phone bill, cable/satellite bill, electric bill, gas bill, gasoline, insurance, food, beverages, snacks, clothes, shoes, socks, underwear, car payments, bus fares, airline tickets, etc., etc., etc.

If you had scholarships to pay for all that, congratulations. You are in the extremely minute minority.

Unless things have changed from my time at UNL, a lot of those costs you list you don't have if you live on campus. The only phone bill on campus one receives is long distance as a phone is/was provided with the room. Cable was also provided. The electric bill and gas bill was provided with the room.

I had friends who were on athletic scholarships. They never spent a dime on clothes, shoes, socks, etc. as they were all provided. Of course most of them wore husker gear nearly all the time. I'm sure most had to spend a little money on snacks, but not on food. They all ate at the training table where it was provided free of cost.

• Fire 1

To be clear. I don't have "angst" over this. I'm simply saying call it what it is. It's paying the players and my biggest problem with it is what I said months ago when it first was talked about. USC can and will pay more to each player because of "cost of living". Well, some 18 year old kid from a poor family is not going to have a clue what "cost of living" is. All he is going to see is hey....if I go to USC, I get paid $6,000 per year. If I go to Nebraska, I get $3,600.

I think that's just something that schools like Nebraska will have to overcome. A little more effort spent in the pitch to explain cost of living. The NCAA can easily have an official explanation that it considers all the money amounts equal relative to cost of living and then coaches can just refer to that.

Because really, the cost of living is very different. LA is hella expensive. The fund seems nice (and also pretty token, anyway) and maybe a little belated. And as mentioned previously, a real drop in the bucket. It'd be quite unfair not to adjust for location, and a potential recruiting disadvantage is no reason not to have the fund at all.

As far as being at a fiscal disadvantage vs SEC schools...this is probably the least of our concerns.