Husker Fan myopia

Meyer is great at adjusting blocking schemes and using deception with his offensive line. He will see how a defense is attacking or he will find the weakness in a defensive front and he will expose it over and over again. Urban Meyers strengths are exactly counter to Becks weaknesses.

Beck will look like a newfound genius coaching with Urban Meyer. Most of that success will be due to Ohio St.'s offensive line. There's really no comparison to what Nebraska has had for an offensive line under Beck. Poor designs, poor execution of those designs, lack of fundamental execution and purely a lack of understanding of their duties by the Nebraska offensive linemen have hindered Beck from the get go.

This game starts and ends in the trenches. Of course, any coach at this level should understand that. I was always curious why Bo and Beck didn't do more to ensure progress and improvement on the offensive line, but it truly never seemed like that unit played consistently well.

I'm a firm believer that most of the problems we had in the last 7 years centered around the HCs inability to handle stressful situations.

As for Watson, I think he was simply a wrong fit for the type of offense many fans and Bo wanted to run here. He seemed like he was so unwilling to explore and develop a dual threat QB and an offense around him. I was always willing to give him the benefit of the doubt until the last drive of the OU CCG game. What he did there with having us right on the edge of field goal position while running Burkhead in the wild cat only to put an injured Martinez back in and drop him back to pass three times straight taking us out of any chance of a FG to win the game was totally inexcusable and amazingly stupid.

As for Beck, I had my frustrations with the offense under his tenure but I will simply say he deserves to be under a better leader of a HC than he was here.

As for HCs, I supported Callahan until it was clear the players quit under him. I supported Bo till it was clear he was not growing as a leader at all and never will.

Now I support Riley and his staff. GBR!!!!

• Fire 2

I'm a firm believer that most of the problems we had in the last 7 years centered around the HCs inability to handle stressful situations.

As for Watson, I think he was simply a wrong fit for the type of offense many fans and Bo wanted to run here. He seemed like he was so unwilling to explore and develop a dual threat QB and an offense around him. I was always willing to give him the benefit of the doubt until the last drive of the OU CCG game. What he did there with having us right on the edge of field goal position while running Burkhead in the wild cat only to put an injured Martinez back in and drop him back to pass three times straight taking us out of any chance of a FG to win the game was totally inexcusable and amazingly stupid.

As for Beck, I had my frustrations with the offense under his tenure but I will simply say he deserves to be under a better leader of a HC than he was here.

As for HCs, I supported Callahan until it was clear the players quit under him. I supported Bo till it was clear he was not growing as a leader at all and never will.

Watson had Martinez forced on him by Bo. Zac Lee was Watson's choice

• Fire 2

Beck called some good plays and he called some real head scratchers. Nothing truer than his last game when we put 42 points on the board against USC, but did not give the ball to a running back who will be playing on Sundays when the game was on the line, pretty much defines his time in Lincoln.

Watson-I don't know. All he had to work with was Zac Lee who couldn't hardly throw the ball due to arm issues. He had no success coaching Cody Green to be a QB.

There was so much contradiction between what Bo said and the type of OC's he had. He said we were going pound the rock and as soon as we had success doing that we went away from it. I just wonder how much Bo had to do with screwing up the game-plan.

I think Riley and his group will be on the same page at least.

Meyer is great at adjusting blocking schemes and using deception with his offensive line. He will see how a defense is attacking or he will find the weakness in a defensive front and he will expose it over and over again. Urban Meyers strengths are exactly counter to Becks weaknesses.

Beck will look like a newfound genius coaching with Urban Meyer. Most of that success will be due to Ohio St.'s offensive line. There's really no comparison to what Nebraska has had for an offensive line under Beck. Poor designs, poor execution of those designs, lack of fundamental execution and purely a lack of understanding of their duties by the Nebraska offensive linemen have hindered Beck from the get go.

This game starts and ends in the trenches. Of course, any coach at this level should understand that. I was always curious why Bo and Beck didn't do more to ensure progress and improvement on the offensive line, but it truly never seemed like that unit played consistently well.

Which brings up an interesting question. Were the OC and the O-Line coach on the same page and communicating effectively what was being done and what was desired?

Which brings up an interesting question. Were the OC and the O-Line coach on the same page and communicating effectively what was being done and what was desired?

How could they possibly have been on the same page?

I've always said no way Cotton or Garrison were able to coach or teach Becks philosophies adequately.

Look at both Cotton and Garrisons history as players or coaches. Nothing about what either of them has done even relates to the zone blocking schemes and complicated play designs Beck tried to utilize. Look at the entirely different styles of play callers Beck and Cotton were during their respective times as Offensive Coordinators. These guys couldn't be more different in their philosophies.

Total mismatch from day one,

True, actually, I read that Garrison was a quick study. It was Cotton that always supposedly couldn't get taught to coach under both Beck & Watson. But he really did end up being a solid "Big Picture" guy who at least represented Nebraska well. Still, it really frustrated me that Cotton clearly had to have so much help brought in, and his job security was never, ever brought into question while Bo was jettisoning other guys.

Personally, I liked Cotton.

I wish we had went to running more of Cotton's style of offense.

I wouldn't think Garrisons experience as a player would make him a great fit for coaching Becks style. Seems like totally different styles. Maybe I'm mistaken but I don't think Garrsison played in a zone read, stretch run, zone blocking type of offense? Quick learner or not, experience counts for a lot in my opinion. Where did Garrison end up by the way?

Cavanaugh, Riley and Langsdorf will surely be on the same page, that's for sure. I'm excited to see some unity in philosophy.

Personally, I liked Cotton.

I wish we had went to running more of Cotton's style of offense.

I wouldn't think Garrisons experience as a player would make him a great fit for coaching Becks style. Seems like totally different styles. Maybe I'm mistaken but I don't think Garrsison played in a zone read, stretch run, zone blocking type of offense? Quick learner or not, experience counts for a lot in my opinion. Where did Garrison end up by the way?

Cavanaugh, Riley and Langsdorf will surely be on the same page, that's for sure. I'm excited to see some unity in philosophy.

Cotton seems like he would make a better head coach than position coach to be honest.

And I am also excited to see a true offensive identity and mindset where everyone knows the vision and understands how to teach all of it.

• Fire 1

At CU, Barnett gave Watson play-call duties and pulled 'em back after the season. Him & Beck are both pass-first guys from their background. I agree neither were bad coaches but neither was a good fit. With Beck especially, the Offensive staff seemed hodge-podged together. Both would do best under an Offensive HC or when supervised by an OC.

• Fire 1

Yeah, I definitely look forward to a staff that meshes well. What's funny is I think Beck will mesh a lot better at OSU than he did here. And because of that he will most likely become a way better coach.

But speaking about our future. These guys have worked together already. They are like-minded and you can definitely tell that Riley was happy to get Danny L to come back to the college game. I don't know anything, but I think he's happy to be rid of Jason Garrett's brother. Nothing says "I don't want you on my staff" like hiring from your previous staff but leaving behind one major piece like the OC. This was Riley's opportunity to get together a "dream team" of sorts for himself.

The one thing I think we will see from a coaching staff that meshes? A cleaner football team that doesn't kill itself with mental mistakes. I honestly don't think we will see anything incredibly exciting in terms of creativity or ingenuity (bye bye option football), but what we will see is a refined scheme that has been proven to work. And honestly, I am looking forward to it.

• Fire 1

Quick learner or not, experience counts for a lot in my opinion. Where did Garrison end up by the way?

UNLV with Cotton.

Personally, I find it hard to have complaints about Garrison. Seemed like a valuable member of the staff, in coaching as well as recruiting. We'll take those when we can get 'em, right?

Just not a fan at all of Cotton's offense for a big time NCAA team.

• Fire 1