Riley on Quarterback Competition

Mavric

Yeah, I'd say 2014-2013-2012-2011 were pretty well decided so this would at least be the first in five.

It sure seemed like 2010 was a competition - they didn't announce the starter until about 15 minutes before Martinez took his first carry to the house - but in hindsight it seems like that might have been the direction Bo was going all along.

You've heard that ^ from pretty much everybody who has seen practice.

I'm curious though if McKewon means the back-up QB's just don't have the arm strength? The accuracy? Is this purely a physical thing? Or does he mean they aren't hitting receivers in stride? Or on target?

Is the lack of push behind Armstrong due to lack of development of QB's by the previous staff all around? I mean, even the starting QB, Armstrong, didn't really progress in any aspect last year. If you ask me, he actually took some steps backwards.

Would some extra reps and some coaching from a more capable Quarterback coach possibly give one of those back-ups the boost they need to become part of the conversation?

Should be interesting to find out.

Open competition. Yes, please. :corndance

We've had an open competition. Armstrong was the clear winner last year, and it wasn't close. In a different offense, which requires different skillsets, that may change.
Good reply to a nonsense post. The revisionist history is getting really old.

I'm curious though if McKewon means the back-up QB's just don't have the arm strength? The accuracy? Is this purely a physical thing? Or does he mean they aren't hitting receivers in stride? Or on target?

Is the lack of push behind Armstrong due to lack of development of QB's by the previous staff all around? I mean, even the starting QB, Armstrong, didn't really progress in any aspect last year. If you ask me, he actually took some steps backwards.

Would some extra reps and some coaching from a more capable Quarterback coach possibly give one of those back-ups the boost they need to become part of the conversation?

I kind of think that TA is who he is...I guess I just don't expect him to go from that 53ish% to 65.

There's a lot more involves in a QB's completion percentage aside from just the QB. Beck had quite an influence on the numbers and our WR' s hands and route running also played a part. Also, don't forget that we were pretty short on depth at WR. A lot of miscommunication happened out there too with the lack of experience.

I kind of think that TA is who he is...I guess I just don't expect him to go from that 53ish% to 65.

my fear is TA is all we got...........

No. 2, Riley assesses a quarterback's ability to complete a pass under the best of circumstances when protection is good, a receiver is open and everything else is "clean," as he puts it.

LJS

If that's one of the top criteria, Tommy could be in trouble. Or he'd have to look very different next year.

If Riley is looking for good decisions, then that is not TA.

Except for the times when he does make good decisions.

which wasn't often enough........let's see of Lang can get him coached up......they need to get together with some popcorn and hit the film room.

Tommy couldn't have watched film of himself last season as he kept making the same bad reads all season long.

Banged up inexperienced WR corps.

Terrible offensive line play.

Offensive system which QB and WR are making all kinds of reads.

Offensive coordinator who doesn't know what a TE is.

Still expect QB to complete 60%. Yea, that makes sense.

Edited: changed to 60%, don't want to be creating straw men here.

Armstrong has shown flashed of being able to be very, very good. The issue has been consistency. Hell, that has been the issue across the board with Pelini teams in general. And like any of our QBs, he shows break downs in his mechanics. It is possible that with some actual QB coaching he will be able to get the job done. He has shown to be a gamer, and by any account he has the intangibles. With a coherent offense, good QB coaching, we may be just fine this year.