If anyone is upset when a coach hires coaches he has coached with before or knows from previous jobs, then you might as well be prepared to be pissed off every single time a coach is hired. That is how the industry works. Coaches know coaches in the industry and get a group they are comfortable with and trust.

This "buddy hire" crap is just getting old and worn out.

This staff is so much more qualified NOW than the last staff was when they were FIRED it's not even comparable.

If anyone is upset when a coach hires coaches he has coached with before or knows from previous jobs, then you might as well be prepared to be pissed off every single time a coach is hired. That is how the industry works. Coaches know coaches in the industry and get a group they are comfortable with and trust.

This staff is so much more qualified NOW than the last staff was when they were FIRED it's not even comparable.

Its not hiring your buddies, as much as bringing yourself to fire your buddies if they can not do their jobs. Tom did it, Frank did it, Billy did not and Bo did not (he did fire some, but not for on the field results) Loyalty is one thing, stubbornness is another.

Its not hiring your buddies, as much as bringing yourself to fire your buddies if they can not do their jobs. Tom did it, Frank did it, Billy did not and Bo did not (he did fire some, but not for on the field results) Loyalty is one thing, stubbornness is another.

LOL....Frank got crucified by fans for "firing his buddies".

Hiring a "buddy" is not surprising and is generally to be expected. The issue is whether the "buddy" was ready for the job. Just looking at the coordinators alone shows the difference. Our current DC had 20 years in college or pro football as an assistant or coordinator before he became our DC. Papuchis had 4 and Carl had 3. Our current OC had 18 years in college or pros and his last job was Eli Manning's QB coach. Beck had 5 and while Watson had a significant amount of experience, he was a holdover from the Callahan era, so maybe not exactly someone that Pelini brought in.

And look at what Pelini and his assistants are doing this year. Beck got a co-OC job at Ohio St, but nearly every other assistant and Pelini are in much lower tier jobs this year. Some are unemployed. Pretty much shows that the market didn't agree with Pelini that they were ready for that level of responsibility.

Good post.

Carl just happened to be Suh's position coach, so he looks pretty good. And although Carl had the DC title, he didn't call the defenses, that was all Bo.

Suh wasn't around in 2010. That was a pretty damn good defense.

Did he have good players? Yeah, but I don't think you're giving Carl the credit he deserves. He was an idiot off the field, but he deserves at least a little praise for his job as DC.

The point was to basically not be so shocked somebody isnt chugging the kool-aid.

I have some reservations, particularly from the d-coordinator spot. Hopefully it all works out.

Well, the question was about this statement.

it seems we are getting more of the same old same old, from his hires to the team mentality.

Your statement doesn't make any sense as it pertains to this statement as it has been shown in other posts there is a huge difference between these two staffs and the poster has absolutely nothing to base his comment on about the "mentality" of the team.

So, the question still remains (to him) to explain his comment.

I'm getting old so my memory might not be that good - he went 7-7 that year so the fans wanted status quo?

I'm getting old so my memory might not be that good - he went 7-7 that year so the fans wanted status quo?

There were some fans that were very angry that he fired some of those legendary coaches.

The point was to basically not be so shocked somebody isnt chugging the kool-aid.

I have some reservations, particularly from the d-coordinator spot. Hopefully it all works out.

Well, the question was about this statement.

it seems we are getting more of the same old same old, from his hires to the team mentality.

Your statement doesn't make any sense as it pertains to this statement as it has been shown in other posts there is a huge difference between these two staffs and the poster has absolutely nothing to base his comment on about the "mentality" of the team.

So, the question still remains (to him) to explain his comment.

Perhaps.

I took at as 'same old same old' as far as wins and losses, in addition to hiring familiar faces. Sure the staffs are different in the number of years under their belts, but they aren't much different in terms of accomplishments. I'm sure he has his reasons to be iffy about this staff, as I do.

Carl just happened to be Suh's position coach, so he looks pretty good. And although Carl had the DC title, he didn't call the defenses, that was all Bo.

Did he have good players? Yeah, but I don't think you're giving Carl the credit he deserves. He was an idiot off the field, but he deserves at least a little praise for his job as DC.

So is a good coach not supposed to be accountable off the field (or even on the field)?

That isnt how I remembered it

It was time for a change and there was some improvement thanks to it

Also not every 50 year old+ guy is interested in chasing down impressionable 18 year old kids every night on the telephone

Recruiting was becoming a real chore for many of those guys

I remember several of them talking about their "used car salesmanship" course they had to take in order to become better recruiters. They hated the course, the fact they had to call kids at hme interrupting their dinner, they hated recruiting.

Do guys hire who they know and trust?

Yes, most do

Was the NU staff under BP young and inexperienced?

Yes

But there was a lot of years in the Callahan staff- mostly guys he knew and trusted

That didnt work out so well

Years of experience are good- but it guarantees little with the exception of more mature and effective PR/Media relations at least with this staff IMO

They havent really won anything or been consistent

Im hopeful but skeptical

I see in our DC the very same results and relationship Callahan had with Cosgrove

• Fire 2

So is a good coach not supposed to be accountable off the field (or even on the field)?

Jesus, I was just suggesting that Carl was a good DC and shouldn't be bashed for it. He can be bashed for many things, but not his performance as the DC.

Nobody is acting like Minnesota has never beaten us. It's seems the consensus is that we lost due to coaching, and now that we fixed the coaching, there's no reason to lose.

Yea, I won't argue with you, we did lose due to the coaching on our side. That's probably not at all far off from the truth. I've made it clear, I think the last staff was pretty terrible.

I also try to remember theres another team out there with another coaching staff who is doing everything they can do to win the game.

As much as I may credit Bo and Beck for repeatedly making Nebraska look like a team that couln't get out of it's own way, I credit Kill and Limegrover for making Minnesota a team that did enough to win.

I don't buy this mentality where we just take all credit away from the opponent. I'd like to try to see both sides of it.

As horrible as you and others paint Minnesota's program, label them as a team that should never compete with the Nebraska's of the world, they've shown that they can do as much. They hung in there with some pretty tough teams the last couple years.

If you watch their offense, I'd think most Husker fans would be envious. I know I am. I hope Nebraska moves in that direction.

There's two teams out there on gameday. Two coaching staffs and a lot of players who have put in months of hard work to come out with a win on that given Saturday. Try to remember that its not always about blaming your coach. You've got to remember to give credit to the other guys sometimes too.

Believe me, I'm fully aware of this. Kill and company have done an admirable job. But it's still a program that recruits in the 50-60 range and is in the 40's for efficiency ratings. They have a serviceable offense (i'm not remotely envious, it's extremely one dimensional) and an above average defense.

The reason we fired Bo was to stop those kind of losses. It shouldn't happen going forward.

Sam McKewon's article a while back about the 2012 recruiting class was pretty eye-opening. On paper, on national signing day, it looked like a pretty good recruiting class. But because of poor roster management, maybe poor player development, personality clashes, and plain ol' bad luck most of the players in the class didn't pan out, and several aren't even on the team anymore.

So if you're looking just at the recruiting rankings, yeah it appears we're more talented. If you've been watching the actual games, where it really matters, you'd see the difference in overall talent between us and the Iowas and Minnesotas is not all that great.

I agree we shouldn't be on even ground with these schools, but we are. This isn't a simple one offseason fix. I wish it was, I hope it is, but I'm skeptical.

• Fire 2

You should be skeptical. Anybody expecting things to be fixed in one offseason isn't being logical. Now if it happens, great! It would be a real testament to the talent of these coaches and the hard work by the players. To expect it though, would be overlooking all the ridiculous things we've seen from this team and the prior staff over the last seven years.

I think Nebraska is above these teams as far as raw talent, but as you said, the talent has been underutilized, mismanaged, and under-developed. Still, if you put our players in Minnesota's offensive and defensive scheme, I think we'd be a lock to win the West.

Watching this offense and defense the last seven years has everyone skeptical. Everybody has bought in for too long and been let down. Now, nobody seems to want to buy in, at least, not bet the farm on anything. I don't blame them. I'm with them. Still, I feel like if the offense is headed toward a Stanford/Minnesota type of look with an attacking and aggressivve defense, combined with the coaching these players will be getting; Then there is reason to be more excited than we have been in the last 5 years.

• Fire 1