See this as a close loss. BYU is too experienced to lose games like this. Hope NU has an underdog mentality heading into this.

Maybe. Keep in mind though that their QB is coming off a major injury. Despite the confidence, there will be some rust to shake off that first game. Also, the potential multi-player suspensions could be a big factor. It appears that there will be actual game suspensions as well. Most likely the season opener against us. See below.

http://www.latimes.com/sports/la-sp-sn-byu-football-bowl-game-brawl-20150303-story.html

Hopefully with our new defensive scheme we can limit their QB and RB from having Wisconsin type rushing yardage. I like our secondary so my hope is we can limit their passing yards as well.

Keep our offense simple the first game and limit turnovers and penalties. Win special teams.

Vegas apparently likes us better as well. I believe home field advantage is about a 3 point swing and the odds are currently projecting higher than that.

IMHO think we gut this one out.

It's pretty bad to lose any game to BYU.

That said, I'm not too worried about the folks who still want Bo here, or who aren't sold on Riley, or any talking media head. I think any rational person knows that a new coach coming in needs time. Specific to Nebraska's situation, there is a lot of culture change that is/needs happening, so how smooth the transition will be is a total wildcard. And of course, beyond that, the guy has to bring in his recruits.

Consistent to recent history, if it doesn't blow up in his first four years, he'll get a couple more years to show what he can do with his own guys (avoiding a Rich Rod at Michigan scenario, where they got rid of him too early). If there's still no conference title, that's maybe when another change would be made (unless we're talking about Top 10 finishes or a team consistently Top 15 in the final polls.)

In the meantime, Bo can bo what he likes at Youngstown. At least he'll have always have a string of embarrassing behavior and marginally Top 25 finishes while at Nebraska to hang his hat on.

IMO every coach deserves at least 6 years to prove if they are a fit or not at a school. The first four years they are stuck with the previous coaches players who may not fit into their system. In Frank's and Bo's cases, their shortfalls were covered up by the talent that they were left and neither left their replacement with much to work with. All I hope for is that Riley gets treated better than Bill did and gets at least 6 years to prove his worth. Baring a national embarrassment such as a scandal, then please keep the pitchforks at home people.

It's pretty bad to lose any game to BYU.

That said, I'm not too worried about the folks who still want Bo here, or who aren't sold on Riley, or any talking media head. I think any rational person knows that a new coach coming in needs time. Specific to Nebraska's situation, there is a lot of culture change that is/needs happening, so how smooth the transition will be is a total wildcard. And of course, beyond that, the guy has to bring in his recruits.

Consistent to recent history, if it doesn't blow up in his first four years, he'll get a couple more years to show what he can do with his own guys (avoiding a Rich Rod at Michigan scenario, where they got rid of him too early). If there's still no conference title, that's maybe when another change would be made (unless we're talking about Top 10 finishes or a team consistently Top 15 in the final polls.)

In the meantime, Bo can bo what he likes at Youngstown. At least he'll have always have a string of embarrassing behavior and marginally Top 25 finishes while at Nebraska to hang his hat on.

IMO every coach deserves at least 6 years to prove if they are a fit or not at a school. The first four years they are stuck with the previous coaches players who may not fit into their system. In Frank's and Bo's cases, their shortfalls were covered up by the talent that they were left and neither left their replacement with much to work with. All I hope for is that Riley gets treated better than Bill did and gets at least 6 years to prove his worth. Baring a national embarrassment such as a scandal, then please keep the pitchforks at home people.

Eh, I don't think so. You can figure out what a guy is gonna do within the first 3-4 years the vast majority of the time. The top tier guys like Meyer, Saban, and Stoops, did it in 2. The next tier did their damage in year 3-4. Heck, look at Dantonio. He won a Big Title (tied really) in year 4, and that's at a perennial little brother school.

Looks like that line is sitting around -5, -5.5 and -6.

If it stays under 7 for a home game...I gotta think you will see lots of cash on the Huskers.

Sharps love the Cougars.

http://espn.go.com/chalk/story/_/id/13158896/the-biggest-early-line-moves-golden-nugget-list-166-games-year-college-football

They love BYU at +6. That does not mean they love them straight up, which is what we're talking about in this thread....

I like us to win this game {BYU}. If the fans are going to get behind these coaches and players, I think the Miami game is the one that sets the tone, for the rest of the year. Win a big road game with this new staff, and the players will buy into what Riley is doing. The fans that are on the fence, not all of them, will start to get behind this staff. None of us has a clue what this staff can do with the talent, that is still in this program. You may think there are bigger games to win ahead, and there are, but we need the Miami win, for a lot of reasons. jmo

GBR!!!

Looks like that line is sitting around -5, -5.5 and -6.

If it stays under 7 for a home game...I gotta think you will see lots of cash on the Huskers.

Sharps love the Cougars.

http://espn.go.com/chalk/story/_/id/13158896/the-biggest-early-line-moves-golden-nugget-list-166-games-year-college-football

They love BYU at +6. That does not mean they love them straight up, which is what we're talking about in this thread....

It seems like most think Nebraska covers easily. It's hard to tell though with all the whining about your coaches.

Sharps liked BYU enough to move it to +4. Not just against Nebraska either. Sharps were all over BYU lines. That says more about BYU than the teams they're playing.

Bankers defenses have consistently had issues with QBs that could run

Could be trouble

Taysom Hill is not likely to be super mobile in this game.

I agree I would definitely take a wait and see view of Taysom Hill for this game. He is actually from Idaho so I hear a few things on the sports talk out here. Just a couple of days ago they were talking about him. They didn't seem real positive that he would be 100% by the start of the season.

BYU is saying all the right things, but you never know. They said all the right things about Taylor Martinez also. Out here they are comparing him to Chuckie Keaton the QB at Utah St.. Tore his knee up last year and they said he was fine coming into the season. Never played anywhere close to what he did before.

Bankers defenses have consistently had issues with QBs that could run

Could be trouble

Taysom Hill is not likely to be super mobile in this game.

I agree I would definitely take a wait and see view of Taysom Hill for this game. He is actually from Idaho so I hear a few things on the sports talk out here. Just a couple of days ago they were talking about him. They didn't seem real positive that he would be 100% by the start of the season.

BYU is saying all the right things, but you never know. They said all the right things about Taylor Martinez also. Out here they are comparing him to Chuckie Keaton the QB at Utah St.. Tore his knee up last year and they said he was fine coming into the season. Never played anywhere close to what he did before.

Yeah, Phil Steele compares him to Chuckie Keaton in his preview magazine as well. Definitely a wait and see, but even if he is eventually back to old form, he is unlikely to be back to that form in the first game back.....