Redux

Trust me

When it comes to video gaming, living in moms basement, episodes of Twilight, the Red Lobster menu, Justin Beiber or getting a GED- I will defer to your expertise

Football or anything else- not so much chuckleshuffle

I literally can't help you with any of the stuff you mentioned. But if you want some advice on being a decent person to other people I would gladly help ya out.

• Fire 4

Redux

Trust me

When it comes to video gaming, living in moms basement, episodes of Twilight, the Red Lobster menu, Justin Beiber or getting a GED- I will defer to your expertise

Football or anything else- not so much chuckleshuffle

I literally can't help you with any of the stuff you mentioned. But if you want some advice on being a decent person to other people I would gladly help ya out.

What's wrong with Red Lobster?

• Fire 2

Dude, you might be the smartest guy in the planet about football. But, your total lack of being able to communicate with people without insulting them is completely masking any attempt you are making to actually discuss football.

You come to a fan board and you are flabbergasted that people take offense to you constantly posting over and over and over again negative posts about how horrible our coaching staff is and how we are going to suck this year because you know so much about football.

What the hell do you expect a reaction to be with that on a Husker football board. Now, before you claim all of us are nothing more than a bunch of ignorant koolaid drinkers, all of us have complained about something or been concerned about something from time to time. None of us are constant sunshine on here and we will gladly discuss concerns as has been greatly discussed already on here people's concerns about our DC. But, ultimately, hey....might as well wait and see what he can do with better talent.

Again, I ask (and has never been answered) why do you choose to be nothing but negative? Is that actually fun? Following a sports team is supposed to be fun. If it's not being fun following a team because you are constantly upset and negative....why continue following it to the extent you hang out on a message board preaching to every other Husker fan you can find about how bad things are in Lincoln? The only answer I have is that you find it fun being that negative and I would like to figure out why.

• Fire 5

Still hearing only crickets regarding the top 10, and 11-15 coaches, and which ones would have accepted an NU offer.

Ive been advised not to "discuss" football with those that have absolutely no clue what they are talking about

So I wouldn't be "answering" you, sorry about that

That whole topic has been done to death- we settled for someone with a losing record in conference and 6 of 14 losing seasons instead

Still hearing only crickets regarding the top 10, and 11-15 coaches, and which ones would have accepted an NU offer.

Well, you never know until you ask and give a salary amount. Just for arguments sake, you offer to double a guys salary, even if he is happy where he is at, he might take a real hard look. But to pretend like certain coaches wouldn't even listen is slap in the face to NU, money and setting up your kids kids kids for life.

That said, I think NU got a gem in Riley and I could not be more excited.

Ive been advised not to "discuss" football with those that have absolutely no clue what they are talking about

That whole topic has been done to death- we settled for someone with a losing record in conference and 6 of 14 losing seasons instead

How long have you coached for? What positions and so on?

It's funny you complain about MR and then act all snobbish like you know everything and everyone here is beneath you. Yet if you compared your knowledge to coaches like MR you're just an average joe like most every other poster here.

I think Riley kinda reopens the door for a big time coach in that top 20 or higher area once his era ends. That's a good thing.

Now, as far as what Riley can do for us: He offers a more stable product to be proud of. What we are hoping for with him is a more competitive team week in and week out. We also wanted an upswing in recruiting. Bo's last class was shaping up nicely when Riley came in and finished it off. Now his first class is shaping up even better.

Will Riley do better than Bo? Not one single poster on here knows. That includes basement dwellers and pompous coaches. I for one would like to see how it shakes out. Part of the fun ya know?

Oh, and I'm not a big seafood fan so Red Lobster isn't exactly in my wheelhouse.

• Fire 1

So anyways, BYU may have their QB back for the opener but I just can't get over his injuries last season. I want the best team possible come game day but I feel he still won't be 100%.

I'd agree. My uneducated opinion would guess there's an extremely slim chance he's back to his old form. His strength is as a runner (which is likely to be diminished), so if I'm Banker, since we have a decent/good secondary, I blitz the hell out of him.

I think Riley kinda reopens the door for a big time coach in that top 20 or higher area once his era ends. Thats a good thing.

Yes, I think so. Agree or disagree about Riley's abilities, his stature in the coaching realm is pretty high. He's very well respected. And we can finally move past the snide insinuations made by the last staff that it's hell in Nebraska and who'd want to come here and take it, anyway.

Reversing that tone was the single most important thing Nebraska had to do for its football program. Hopefully, we got a capable coach, too.

Is the Hill injury necessarily that serious? I'm reading "leg fracture, ligament strain (not a serious tear)". Which sounds bad. But players recover from all sorts of things. I think we had Matt Herian here with a leg fracture, though, and he never returned to form.

Dude, you might be the smartest guy in the planet about football. But, your total lack of being able to communicate with people without insulting them is completely masking any attempt you are making to actually discuss football.

You come to a fan board and you are flabbergasted that people take offense to you constantly posting over and over and over again negative posts about how horrible our coaching staff is and how we are going to suck this year because you know so much about football.

What the hell do you expect a reaction to be with that on a Husker football board. Now, before you claim all of us are nothing more than a bunch of ignorant koolaid drinkers, all of us have complained about something or been concerned about something from time to time. None of us are constant sunshine on here and we will gladly discuss concerns as has been greatly discussed already on here people's concerns about our DC. But, ultimately, hey....might as well wait and see what he can do with better talent.

Again, I ask (and has never been answered) why do you choose to be nothing but negative? Is that actually fun? Following a sports team is supposed to be fun. If it's not being fun following a team because you are constantly upset and negative....why continue following it to the extent you hang out on a message board preaching to every other Husker fan you can find about how bad things are in Lincoln? The only answer I have is that you find it fun being that negative and I would like to figure out why.

Real reading comp issues there buster

Nowhere did I say NU was going to suck

Ive stated many times some of the things I like about Riley- the PR, Recruiting, mending fences with fans. I just don't think he is a proven consistent college coach for a top 15 program and Im hoping Im wrong about it.

With average coaching this team has won 9 games a year, every year. I think we have an average group of coaches taking over- extremely nice, sincere, hard working, but at the end of the day average. Unlike many of the koolaide drinkers- I don't expect 11 wins like some are talking about. It will most likely be an 8-9 win season, just like the impartial LV oddsmakers are saying- I think they are saying 8.

Forget the "QB" whispering, didn't work for Stanton, you aren't going to see huge improvements from TA either, it is what it is, he's getting coached up by Mr force the ball into triple coverage turnover man Brett Farve for crying out loud. There is too much talent on the team for them to tank to 5-6 wins, but I don't see any evidence from the track record of this coaching staff that says they can make it an 11 win team either.

For all those thinking that all we needed was a little boost to get from 9 to 11 wins and all of our problems are now going to melt away with MR at the helm are one of the reasons so many people think NU fans are so delusional. I don't like seeing our real fans- our real brand made into something it shouldn't be. a joke, a punchline by all this ridiculous talk. Travel a bit, talk to some people that really know football and ask them what they think of NU, its football program and its fanbase. Lots of great ones in my section, friends, coaches I work with, the season ticket holders, not so much on a "fan" message board. JMO

Interestingly enough pretty much the same stuff most years at this time lately- yeah 11 wins, XYZ can mature with just a little bit of help, this teams chemistry is really coming together, this team is working hard-bigger-faster- QB will be better, stronger blah blah - same stuff every year from the same people. Can one be optimistic? Sure, but many are optimistic to the point of insanity- ridiculousness. Yeah we win em all every year, Number 1, we can beat Ohio State, Bama, Oregon, bring em on. Being unrealistic, acting like the 9 year old kid is great for 9 year old kids. For the stakeholders of the program the real fans and supporter$ of NU, not so much. That kind of unwarranted optimism was what silenced the Bo critics and made that 7 year vetting process something it didn't need to be and longer and more painful than it needed to be.

I think Riley kinda reopens the door for a big time coach in that top 20 or higher area once his era ends. Thats a good thing.

Yes, I think so. Agree or disagree about Riley's abilities, his stature in the coaching realm is pretty high. He's very well respected. And we can finally move past the snide insinuations made by the last staff that it's hell in Nebraska and who'd want to come here and take it, anyway.Reversing that tone was the single most important thing Nebraska had to do for its football program. Hopefully, we got a capable coach, too.Is the Hill injury necessarily that serious? I'm reading "leg fracture, ligament strain (not a serious tear)". Which sounds bad. But players recover from all sorts of things. I think we had Matt Herian here with a leg fracture, though, and he never returned to form.

I can't remember if I read it here or somewhere else (the thread got derailed so i forget) but it sounds like they compare Hill to Keaton at Utah State. Great season, hampered by an injury, came back and was decent but not like he was. Kinda thinking along the lines of Martinez here. He could have a big game early and then trail off as the season stretches on. Either way I hope for BYU they have a capable backup.