If anyone is upset when a coach hires coaches he has coached with before or knows from previous jobs, then you might as well be prepared to be pissed off every single time a coach is hired. That is how the industry works. Coaches know coaches in the industry and get a group they are comfortable with and trust.

This "buddy hire" crap is just getting old and worn out.

This staff is so much more qualified NOW than the last staff was when they were FIRED it's not even comparable.

This, +1 Every coach surrounds himself with familiar faces, its what they do. MR is no different than BP or Callahan or Urban or Sabin. If they need a new coach and don't have someone in mind they usually call someone they know and trust to recommend someone.

The misgivings some have about our new DC are legitimate, though he has had some very good defenses at OSU. I think the mixture of the DC experience with the defensive staff in general is a plus.

Bo Pelini's problem was that he hired guys that were young so they wouldn't stand up and question his thinking. You have to be able to listen to other points of view about things in anything you do in life. You can reject them, but you at least need to listen to them. I don't think BP would do that. His other problem was that he put scheme above everything else. Scheme has to be a framework, but there has to be room for an athlete to just make plays. They can't be so bogged down with scheme that that can't make athletic plays. Our defense was never that unathletic. .

MR doesn't strike me as that type of guy. His ego isn't that big.

I had high hopes for Riley, once I checked out his whole history of his career, however that said it seems we are getting more of the same old same old, from his hires to the team mentality. We needed a new direction from Bo, that said not all changes are for the better.

Care to elaborate on the bolded?

I would also like to know

Oh....please enlighten us.

Perhaps he's referring to a head coach who's never won anything (like Bo) and hired mostly his own assistants who are equally unaccomplished? The head coach we hired had a pretty uninspiring last 5 seasons?

Those are valid criticisms whether you're drinking the kool-aid or not.

This.

[redacted]

Wrote a much longer post but do not feel like getting flamed...

I see this hire and the continued nepotism from this hire and the hires that followed including not making what ever we had to do to get SF on the list a failure. Or any former Husker great that can bring back the tradition of winning. The idea that we are Nebraska we are different.

http://bloguin.com/thestudentsection/2014/mike-riley-to-nebraska-its-all-about-the-o-in-two-different-but-equally-important-ways.html

SE and MR have the same agent, again Bo was fired for a personality conflict not his failures on the field. Not the Bo-outs that became laughably predictable.

We failed on the subsequent hires. Oh and to the mentality nepotism and the true standard of sucess from our heads is academics not on the field. At least with previous head coachs we would see the drive to win the drive to reach for better things. If you read MR interviews he understands the pressure is there and he understands there are expectations but he sure as @#$% not going to make any predictions to win or a rallying call for a win now, a conference championship NOW.

Expect this season to be a meh season, then its going to get worse. I see the apologetics all ready lining up. I see the writing on the wall, I see the new standard for our football team as academic.

Our only chance is to win a conf championship in the foreseeable future is now. Yes that includes playing against The OSU. I just don’t see us getting our foot in the door in the future.

As to those who will of course use the they have to learn to mesh and the system, well MR transplanted his staff from his previous gig that he was getting fired from to here, so maybe we can put in the same ingredients and expect a different result this time.

That being said, think of the principle of diminishing returns. We needed a new direction a new focus a new call to be great, instead we have this.

Back to the original post and issue: BYU wins by 30 - stands half empty at half time. Look at MR recent years against BYU. We do not have the raging torrent of a man that was Bo the phsycopath beating his players back into combat even when down by 28 points like we did a few years ago against Mich State. We seem to have all but forgotten the tradition of being Nebraska and not losing.

It used to be predictable when Iowa would play Nebraska and lose the Iowa team would celebrate not losing by that much or leading at some point in the game. Hayden Fry came into a lack luster team like Iowa and set clear goals to the fans and the Nation, hell after one lost to Nebraska his team was celebrating not losing by that much and he told the next player that said that or acted happy with the lost could walk home. That is leadership.

I see a trend emerging of laughing all the way to the bank. Want success after 4 - 5 god awful years? Clean house. That includes your good old boys MR. As the article above stated MR could have worked out if he brought in the right support staff, he did not. This could work if he had a rallying call, I have not seen one. This could work out if higher levels of leadership made a rallying call they have not they have refocused the definition of success.

• Fire 1

So, let me get this straight. You are upset that a coach is hired (and really stretch the agent thing) and that coach hires coaches he has been with before and are comfortable with.

BUT...you indicate that what would have made you happy is if we would have done everything possible to bring back "Nebraska" guys because those are the guys you trust and think know Nebraska. :facepalm:

There's something strangely funny about that.

• Fire 3

I had high hopes for Riley, once I checked out his whole history of his career, however that said it seems we are getting more of the same old same old, from his hires to the team mentality. We needed a new direction from Bo, that said not all changes are for the better.

Perhaps he's referring to a head coach who's never won anything (like Bo) and hired mostly his own assistants who are equally unaccomplished? The head coach we hired had a pretty uninspiring last 5 seasons?

This.

[redacted]

I see this hire and the continued nepotism from this hire and the hires that followed including not making what ever we had to do to get SF on the list a failure. Or any former Husker great that can bring back the tradition of winning. The idea that we are Nebraska we are different.

http://bloguin.com/thestudentsection/2014/mike-riley-to-nebraska-its-all-about-the-o-in-two-different-but-equally-important-ways.html

SE and MR have the same agent, again Bo was fired for a personality conflict not his failures on the field. Not the Bo-outs that became laughably predictable.

We failed on the subsequent hires. Oh and to the mentality nepotism and the true standard of sucess from our heads is academics not on the field. At least with previous head coachs we would see the drive to win the drive to reach for better things. If you read MR interviews he understands the pressure is there and he understands there are expectations but he sure as @#$% not going to make any predictions to win or a rallying call for a win now, a conference championship NOW.

Expect this season to be a meh season, then its going to get worse. I see the apologetics all ready lining up. I see the writing on the wall, I see the new standard for our football team as academic.

Our only chance is to win a conf championship in the foreseeable future is now. Yes that includes playing against The OSU. I just don’t see us getting our foot in the door in the future.

As to those who will of course use the they have to learn to mesh and the system, well MR transplanted his staff from his previous gig that he was getting fired from to here, so maybe we can put in the same ingredients and expect a different result this time.

That being said, think of the principle of diminishing returns. We needed a new direction a new focus a new call to be great, instead we have this.

Back to the original post and issue: BYU wins by 30 - stands half empty at half time. Look at MR recent years against BYU. We do not have the raging torrent of a man that was Bo the phsycopath beating his players back into combat even when down by 28 points like we did a few years ago against Mich State. We seem to have all but forgotten the tradition of being Nebraska and not losing.

It used to be predictable when Iowa would play Nebraska and lose the Iowa team would celebrate not losing by that much or leading at some point in the game. Hayden Fry came into a lack luster team like Iowa and set clear goals to the fans and the Nation, hell after one lost to Nebraska his team was celebrating not losing by that much and he told the next player that said that or acted happy with the lost could walk home. That is leadership.

I see a trend emerging of laughing all the way to the bank. Want success after 4 - 5 god awful years? Clean house. That includes your good old boys MR. As the article above stated MR could have worked out if he brought in the right support staff, he did not. This could work if he had a rallying call, I have not seen one. This could work out if higher levels of leadership made a rallying call they have not they have refocused the definition of success.

You might be right. You might be wrong. I am marking this and will repost it in 4-5 years. Kind of like a time capsule. It will be interesting.

So, let me get this straight. You are upset that a coach is hired (and really stretch the agent thing) and that coach hires coaches he has been with before and are comfortable with.

BUT...you indicate that what would have made you happy is if we would have done everything possible to bring back "Nebraska" guys. :facepalm:

No I was not upset that a coach was hired. I do not see where or how you are getting that. I think the hiring proccess could of lasted longer, yes heck yes.

MR is here, like him or not I will support him.

He has had very very good upswings in his career, he seems he was in a downward spiral at his previous gig, maybe changing the uniforms will change that.

Currently, I am upset with his support staff, and the mentality or lack thereof.

I think Bo had a lot of his success by T.O. coming back. SE is no TO. MR and SE is not a BP AND A TO.

I see SE bringing in MR as nepotism, your talking about a guy who by his own admission had never been to Nebraska or familar with our team, even when coaching pro's in the 90s not like we had any pro talent worth scouting.

I am not going to debate a straw man argument of MR we have MR now, we needed a better support staff.

Cant change the support staff now, those cards have been played.

Only thing now would be to set a rallying call, I do not see MR doing anything to do that.

A rallying call would be good for the team, for the Nation, would be bad for MR if he does not come close.

No rallying call.

A rallying call could be as simple as, if we don't have 9 wins and play for a conference title I will not take a salary for this year.

Not saying it has to be that, but something, anything.

Laugh all the way to the bank.

I expect a meh season, and Riley to maybe cry at one press conference, but to be crocodile tears.

This.

[redacted]

Interesting.

So....Riley has been here maybe for 6-7 months. Hasn't coached a game yet and you have already made up your mind that he sucks and is going to fail all while talking trash with future "apologists" that may or may not ever happen.

Got it.

BUT...you indicate that what would have made you happy is if we would have done everything possible to bring back "Nebraska" guys. :facepalm:

No I was not upset that a coach was hired. I do not see where or how you are getting that. I think the hiring proccess could of lasted longer, yes heck yes.

He has had very very good upswings in his career, he seems he was in a downward spiral at his previous gig, maybe changing the uniforms will change that.

Currently, I am upset with his support staff.

I think Bo had a lot of his success by T.O. coming back. SE is no TO. MR and SE is not a BP AND A TO.

I see SE bringing in MR as nepotism, your talking about a guy who by his own admission had never been to Nebraska or familar with our team, even when coaching pro's in the 90s not like we had any pro talent worth scouting.

I am not going to debate a straw man argument of MR we have MR now, we needed a better support staff. Cant litigate the support staff now, those cards have been played, only thing now would be to set a rallying call, I do not see MR doing anything to do that.

I just have to laugh when people like you get "upset" when no results have even come in yet. You have all of a sudden become the complete judge of if anything is going to be successful or not. No need to actually watch games, pay attention to recruiting, allow the process to take place before you get "upset".

• Fire 1

Currently, I am upset with his support staff, and the mentality or lack thereof.

I am not going to debate a straw man argument of MR we have MR now, we needed a better support staff.

Cant change the support staff now, those cards have been played.

Only thing now would be to set a rallying call, I do not see MR doing anything to do that.

A rallying call would be good for the team, for the Nation, would be bad for MR if he does not come close.

No rallying call.

A rallying call could be as simple as, if we don't have 9 wins and play for a conference title I will not take a salary for this year.

Not saying it has to be that, but something, anything.

Laugh all the way to the bank.

I expect a meh season, and Riley to maybe cry at one press conference, but to be crocodile tears.

That's it, "rallying cry". I think you're onto something.

Note: you're not actually onto something.

• Fire 2

How is it nepotism when Eichorst and Riley never worked together?

They have the same agent! Keep up here...

I don't think Riley and Eichorst having the same agent is nepotism. But it might be a conflict of interest on the agent's part.