I had high hopes for Riley, once I checked out his whole history of his career, however that said it seems we are getting more of the same old same old, from his hires to the team mentality. We needed a new direction from Bo, that said not all changes are for the better.

Care to elaborate on the bolded?

I would also like to know

Nobody is acting like Minnesota has never beaten us. It's seems the consensus is that we lost due to coaching, and now that we fixed the coaching, there's no reason to lose.

Yea, I won't argue with you, we did lose due to the coaching on our side. That's probably not at all far off from the truth. I've made it clear, I think the last staff was pretty terrible.

I also try to remember theres another team out there with another coaching staff who is doing everything they can do to win the game.

As much as I may credit Bo and Beck for repeatedly making Nebraska look like a team that couln't get out of it's own way, I credit Kill and Limegrover for making Minnesota a team that did enough to win.

I don't buy this mentality where we just take all credit away from the opponent. I'd like to try to see both sides of it.

As horrible as you and others paint Minnesota's program, label them as a team that should never compete with the Nebraska's of the world, they've shown that they can do as much. They hung in there with some pretty tough teams the last couple years.

If you watch their offense, I'd think most Husker fans would be envious. I know I am. I hope Nebraska moves in that direction.

There's two teams out there on gameday. Two coaching staffs and a lot of players who have put in months of hard work to come out with a win on that given Saturday. Try to remember that its not always about blaming your coach. You've got to remember to give credit to the other guys sometimes too.

Believe me, I'm fully aware of this. Kill and company have done an admirable job. But it's still a program that recruits in the 50-60 range and is in the 40's for efficiency ratings. They have a serviceable offense (i'm not remotely envious, it's extremely one dimensional) and an above average defense.

The reason we fired Bo was to stop those kind of losses. It shouldn't happen going forward.

• Fire 1

I had high hopes for Riley, once I checked out his whole history of his career, however that said it seems we are getting more of the same old same old, from his hires to the team mentality. We needed a new direction from Bo, that said not all changes are for the better.

Oh....please enlighten us.

Perhaps he's referring to a head coach who's never won anything (like Bo) and hired mostly his own assistants who are equally unaccomplished? The head coach we hired had a pretty uninspiring last 5 seasons?

Those are valid criticisms whether you're drinking the kool-aid or not.

Perhaps he's referring to a head coach who's never won anything (like Bo) and hired mostly his own assistants who are equally unaccomplished? The head coach we hired had a pretty uninspiring last 5 seasons?

Bo was and still is a rookie coach.

I think all he's saying is that both guys have been hiring their 'buddies' that they have a track record with.

Pretty sure Riley hasn't hired any former interns/GAs for their first full time job or hired a high school golf coach or hired his brother (who never had a BCS asst job) or made a GA the de facto QB coach.
  • Fire 2

There's a huge difference between the qualifications of Bozo's 'buddies' vs. Riley's 'buddies'. Who gives a damn whose buddies they are if they get results. Bo wasn't smart enough to make the necessary changes when it was clear that his buddies could not get the job done. If Riley is ever put in a situation like that, I would hope he is wise enough to make the necessary decisions, no matter how difficult that is. At this point though, why the hell does it matter? They haven't even coached a freaking game here. The fact that he has experience and familiarity with his staff should only be seen as a positive at this point. It will mean that the transition will be much smoother and quicker. Everyone on the staff will be on the same page and have an understanding of the process and systems they implement. There's zero reason to be whining about "buddy hires" at this point.

Pretty sure Riley hasn't hired any former interns/GAs for their first full time job or hired a high school golf coach or hired his brother (who never had a BCS asst job) or made a GA the de facto QB coach.

To be fair, the golf coach and the brother were both really good coaches while here, and I'm sure Riley has in fact hired GAs into positions before, but the point still stands that this staff, on paper, does not lack in a lot of areas of experience and expertise that Bo's did. Will that make a difference? We'll start to see in about two months.

I know we're all worried about Hill, as we should be, but have we talked about their defense at all? I understand a lot of people are skeptical of how well our offense may play, it being the first game of the season and all.

But we're talking about BYU's defense. Does it scare anyone?

Their scoring defense for 2014 is 71st in the country and allowed 27.5 points per game. And that's with a shutout of Savannah State.

Hill might be their best, fastest, strongest, and most mormon of the whole team, but he doesn't play D.

Their best attribute is that they had the 20th best run defense. But the teams may not have had needed to run. A lot like how we were one of the best passing efficiency D's in the nation last year. The fact that we had a leaky run D has a lot to do with that. Even in BYU's losses, each team averaged 145.2 rushing yards per game. They allowed 329.6 passing yards in those games. They're 112th in pass defense, allowing 269.7 passing yards per game.

That's just some numbers though. I haven't watched any BYU football. Numbers only tell a part of the story, but the defense overall looks somewhere between average and not-so-good.

I know we're all worried about Hill, as we should be, but have we talked about their defense at all? I understand a lot of people are skeptical of how well our offense may play, it being the first game of the season and all.

But we're talking about BYU's defense. Does it scare anyone?

Their scoring defense for 2014 is 71st in the country and allowed 27.5 points per game. And that's with a shutout of Savannah State.

Hill might be their best, fastest, strongest, and most mormon of the whole team, but he doesn't play D.

Their best attribute is that they had the 20th best run defense. But the teams may not have had needed to run. A lot like how we were one of the best passing efficiency D's in the nation last year. The fact that we had a leaky run D has a lot to do with that. Even in BYU's losses, each team averaged 145.2 rushing yards per game. They allowed 329.6 passing yards in those games. They're 112th in pass defense, allowing 269.7 passing yards per game.

That's just some numbers though. I haven't watched any BYU football. Numbers only tell a part of the story, but the defense overall looks somewhere between average and not-so-good.

IIRC, BYU is addressing their porous defense from 2014 by having Bronco take on the DC chair again as well, and from what I can tell, he's been hands on with the unit during spring.

I don't expect them to have a worldclass defense, but they should be significantly improved over last season, if Bronco's past DC efforts are any indication. And with us trying to get a new offense in motion...their defense merely being competent may be enough to tip the scales in their favor.

Hiring a "buddy" is not surprising and is generally to be expected. The issue is whether the "buddy" was ready for the job. Just looking at the coordinators alone shows the difference. Our current DC had 20 years in college or pro football as an assistant or coordinator before he became our DC. Papuchis had 4 and Carl had 3. Our current OC had 18 years in college or pros and his last job was Eli Manning's QB coach. Beck had 5 and while Watson had a significant amount of experience, he was a holdover from the Callahan era, so maybe not exactly someone that Pelini brought in.

And look at what Pelini and his assistants are doing this year. Beck got a co-OC job at Ohio St, but nearly every other assistant and Pelini are in much lower tier jobs this year. Some are unemployed. Pretty much shows that the market didn't agree with Pelini that they were ready for that level of responsibility.

• Fire 1

Say what you want about Carl Pelini, but the man coached 2 of the best defenses we've seen since McBride was around.