I must be the only person expecting this to be a loss. BYU holds all the cards here: Established schemes on both sides of the ball, no chaos in the program, they've beaten more-talented teams recently (Texas), their guys are older and bigger, and they have no major depth issues that I'm aware of.

We have a shake (at best) LB corps, we're rebuilding our O-Line, we're replacing a generational talent at RB with what appears to be a RB-by-committee, we have to learn new schemes on both sides of the ball, our guys are still dealing with the mentality of the Pelini Era, and our QB is light-years behind theirs.

I'm expecting to lose this game. I won't be surprised if we lose big.

I also won't be worried about it, won't criticize Riley at all if we do, and won't use it as any kind of benchmark to judge how the Riley Era will go here. There's just so much stacked against us, so much going on aside from this game, that I frankly don't care if we lose, and I don't expect us to win.

This game is really meaningless. Anyone who loses their minds over a loss, or goes batsh*t insane over a win, is fooling themselves. This rebuilding period will take a while. 2015 is a throw-away year.

I almost gagged when you said Texas was more talented than us. More talent on roster yes, actually using said talent is debatable.

And I would hardly call this game meaningless. Its the season opener and the first game in 7 years We don't know what to expect. Maybe it isn't a great indicator of whats to come, but it is the catalyst for ehat we do this year. Rebuilidng season or not we need somethung to hang our coen cob hats on.

Correction.... It would be nice to have something to hang our corn cob hats on. We don't NEED something.....

NEED indicates that if we lose this game, it's a complete disaster and an indication of what is to come. In reality, the results of this one game means absolutely nothing as to how the year or Riley era will turn out.

I say need because the whole reason we fired Bo was because are thirsty for more. We do NEED something.

But, you using that word as it pertains to this one game makes it sound like if we lose this game, it's disaster. Sure, we want something to hang our hats on and I'll be disappointed if we lose (just like anytime the Huskers lose). But, once again, this game will be absolutely no indication as to how the year or Riley era will turn out.

I say need because the whole reason we fired Bo was because are thirsty for more. We do NEED something.

But, you using that word as it pertains to this one game makes it sound like if we lose this game, it's disaster. Sure, we want something to hang our hats on and I'll be disappointed if we lose (just like anytime the Huskers lose). But, once again, this game will be absolutely no indication as to how the year or Riley era will turn out.

Win or lose I think the Riley era could go either way. His tenure does not come down to this opening game. But we will have a lot of eyes on us when BYU visits. Recruits, our competition, and the media are all going to want to see what we roll out.

If we come out dissheveled and lose an ugly one it wont break his tenure, but it could set a mold that we just fired.

But yes if we go 10-2 on the year nobody will remember we lost to BYU.

I must be the only person expecting this to be a loss. BYU holds all the cards here: Established schemes on both sides of the ball, no chaos in the program, they've beaten more-talented teams recently (Texas), their guys are older and bigger, and they have no major depth issues that I'm aware of.

We have a shake (at best) LB corps, we're rebuilding our O-Line, we're replacing a generational talent at RB with what appears to be a RB-by-committee, we have to learn new schemes on both sides of the ball, our guys are still dealing with the mentality of the Pelini Era, and our QB is light-years behind theirs.

I also won't be worried about it, won't criticize Riley at all if we do, and won't use it as any kind of benchmark to judge how the Riley Era will go here. There's just so much stacked against us, so much going on aside from this game, that I frankly don't care if we lose, and I don't expect us to win.

This game is really meaningless. Anyone who loses their minds over a loss, or goes batsh*t insane over a win, is fooling themselves. This rebuilding period will take a while. 2015 is a throw-away year.

I share some of these concerns, but I really hope 2015 is not a throwaway year. That will really be getting off on the wrong foot for Riley. Let's at least (approximately) hold serve, if not demonstrate clear improvement.

Yup. That sounds eerily familiar to 2004 and Callahan's attitude towards rebuilding. We aren't devoid of talent like we were 11 years ago, not by a long shot. On paper we've got more raw talent than everyone save Miami. Even if we lose to that and our talent peers (MSU and UW), that still lives 9 wins over lesser talented teams. When I hear guys like Sipple talk about Minnesota winning the west, I roll my eyes, because it sounds like they are sandbagging already. I fully expect 8+ wins this year in the regular season.

Saunders, what do you mean by sandbagging? Are you saying you think Sipple is already trying to kind of make excuses for Riley?

Yup. He's a known coach apologist. He did it for Bill and Bo, and he's already starting it now. If Minnesota wins the west over Wisconsin and Nebraska, it means they both were 7-5 or worse teams. And both staffs should be fired on the spot.

But it's not going to happen, barring a total disaster.

Losing to BYU does not mean the Bo shouldn't have been fired. And it does not mean that Riley's coaching tenure will be a failure.

But it won't matter b/c we are not losing to BYU.

I wasn't saying a BYU loss is reason for us keeping Bo, he needed to go.

Losing to BYU does not mean the Bo shouldn't have been fired. And it does not mean that Riley's coaching tenure will be a failure.

But it won't matter b/c we are not losing to BYU.

I wasn't saying a BYU loss is reason for us keeping Bo, he needed to go.

Not saying you were. But there are going to be trolls coming out from under their bridge if we do lose championing Bo. Although there is a good chance Bo's D would have allowed Hill to run for 200+.

But it doesn't matter, we aren't losing to BYU.

Red Bolded above is the most insipid and inane comment of the year.

NO YEAR is a "throw-away" year.

I share some of these concerns, but I really hope 2015 is not a throwaway year. That will really be getting off on the wrong foot for Riley. Let's at least (approximately) hold serve, if not demonstrate clear improvement.

I'm hoping it is not a throwaway year either, and I do not expect it to be a throwaway year. But if we do go 7-5 (we won't) then I'm not going to be calling for Riley's head quite yet.

Pete Carrol went 7-6 his 1st year at USC and Nick Saban went 6-6 his first year at Alabama. Sometimes it takes a year for things to "click".

• Fire 2

That's where I'm coming from. This game, in the grand scheme of things, isn't... anything. It's a tough first game for a new coach. Losing this game won't spell disaster, and if anyone uses a loss to BYU as the basis for any kind of "we should have kept Pelini" argument, they're a goober. Winning would tell us a little bit, maybe, about how well the players adapt to scheme and their willingness to buy in, or maybe about how decimated BYU was with their suspensions, etc. But losing, which I think is the most likely outcome, won't tell us much. Even if we bumble around and look lost... it's still a first game.

• Fire 1

Yup. That sounds eerily familiar to 2004 and Callahan's attitude towards rebuilding. We aren't devoid of talent like we were 11 years ago, not by a long shot. On paper we've got more raw talent than everyone save Miami. Even if we lose to that and our talent peers (MSU and UW), that still lives 9 wins over lesser talented teams. When I hear guys like Sipple talk about Minnesota winning the west, I roll my eyes, because it sounds like they are sandbagging already. I fully expect 8+ wins this year in the regular season.

Saunders, what do you mean by sandbagging? Are you saying you think Sipple is already trying to kind of make excuses for Riley?

Yup. He's a known coach apologist. He did it for Bill and Bo, and he's already starting it now. If Minnesota wins the west over Wisconsin and Nebraska, it means they bother were 7-5 or so teams. And both staffs should be fired on the spot.

But it's not going to happen, barring a total disaster.

Got it! That's what I thought

I'm sorry but that is such a load of crap.

It's season one. An entirely new coaching staff is taking over this team and they could't be more different than the previous staff.

Nobody is sandbagging anything. I picked Minnesota to win the west for the same reasons Knapplc think BYU could come into Nebraska and win. Minnesota has been a good team for a few years now. Lets stop pretending they haven't been. It's malarky. They've bet us 2/3 times we've played them. They've got a good Head Coach, a great OC, and thier defene honestly, plays very solid football at times. More importantly, they've got continuity. That counts for a lot in this game.

I picked Minnesota to win the West as well. I don't sandbag for anybody. I won't deny that Sipple is about as big an ass kisser apologist as they come, especially for Bo. I just don't think that has anything to do with him picking Minnesota in this instance.

I put Nebraska and Wisconsin behind them not based upon talent, but purely because Minnesota is the only highly talented school in the West not going through a coaching change.

Wisconsin may be a step ahead of us because Chryst has familiarity to them. I still think Nebraska has more talent than all of them but this acting like a coaching change "no big deal" is ridiculuous.

The lack of respect for Minnesota is almost as ridiculous.

I also appreciate what BYU has done recently. I just think it will be a 38-27 type of game, Nebraska wins at home. Just my feel on it.

That's where I'm coming from. This game, in the grand scheme of things, isn't... anything. It's a tough first game for a new coach.

Losing this game won't spell disaster, and if anyone uses a loss to BYU as the basis for any kind of "we should have kept Pelini" argument, they're a goober.

Winning would tell us a little bit, maybe, about how well the players adapt to scheme and their willingness to buy in, or maybe about how decimated BYU was with their suspensions, etc. But losing, which I think is the most likely outcome, won't tell us much. Even if we bumble around and look lost... it's still a first game.

Be prepared. It's coming. I can hear it now.

2fa4.jpg

• Fire 1