I found this interesting...world beater Taysom Hill's sophomore passing stats.

2ev3xj8.png

They look oddly similar to Tommy's sophomore stats.

2ev6ux5.png

I've linked to the full stats for both guys. Taysom had a lot more rushing yards but mostly because he had 100 more rushing attempts.

A couple things worth noting, Taysom's sophomore year was with an entirely new offense. OC Robert Anae brought elements of Rich Rod's offense from Arizona. It was the first year of what BYU calls go fast, go hard. They run uptempo, no huddle trying to get every play off in ~15 seconds. There were a lot of growing pains with the implementation, particularly on the assignment and procedural side of things. This is partly why Taysom rushed so much because of broken plays.

Also, while Jamaal Williams rushed for over 1000 yards that year, he was no Ameer Abdullah. He took a ton of pressure off TA. That would concern me as a Husker fan. The biggest leap for QBs typically occurs between sophomore and junior years. We saw that with Taysom, but it was also his 2nd year in the system. I expect TA and the Husker offense to struggle until they have more familiarity and experience with the system. And also until they find Abdullah's replacement. No easy task.

I expect BYU to try and protect Taysom through play calling. Gone from the playbook will be the designed QB runs. And with Jamaal gone, expect a lot of screens to the WRs and a swing pass option that BYU runs with great success. Taysom will still run though when the play breaks down or he sees a seam.

2ev3xj8.png

2ev6ux5.png

I've linked to the full stats for both guys. Taysom had a lot more rushing yards but mostly because he had 100 more rushing attempts.

The biggest leap for QBs typically occurs between sophomore and junior years.

Oh, you mean like Armstrong this year?

• Fire 2

2ev3xj8.png

2ev6ux5.png

Look at his pre-injury numbers last year:

88/132 (66.7%) - 975 yards - 7 TD - 3 INT - 87 rushes - 460 yards - 5.3ypc - 8 TD

Those are really, really, really good numbers.

for comparison here is Tommy Armstrong in the same first 4 games:

52/94 (55.3%) - 886 Yards - 9 TD - 2 INT - 40 rushes for 344 yards - 8.6 ypc - 2 TD

So basically if BYU had Tommy, they'd have double hiesmans?

2ev3xj8.png

2ev6ux5.png

88/132 (66.7%) - 975 yards - 7 TD - 3 INT - 87 rushes - 460 yards - 5.3ypc - 8 TD

52/94 (55.3%) - 886 Yards - 9 TD - 2 INT - 40 rushes for 344 yards - 8.6 ypc - 2 TD

Isn't that amazing, but one of these guys is considered a Mormon Chuck Norris and the other is an inconsistent schmuck.

• Fire 4

2ev3xj8.png

2ev6ux5.png

For context did those 4 cupcakes have sprinkles?

2ev3xj8.png

2ev6ux5.png

So you pointed out the teams Taysom played in the first 4 games. Tommy's first 4 games were FAU, Mcneese St, Fresno state, and Miami.

2ev3xj8.png

2ev6ux5.png

to provide a little context for Tommy Armstrong - those stats primarily came against four teams that finished a combined 21-29. And one of those teams was an FCS School. FAU 3-9. Mcneese St FCS 6-5, Fresno St 6-8, and Miami 6-7. Those are worse teams than what Taysom played against.

2ev3xj8.png

2ev6ux5.png

So you pointed out the teams Taysom played in the first 4 games. Tommy's first 4 games were FAU, Mcneese St, Fresno state, and Miami.

2ev3xj8.png

2ev6ux5.png

to provide a little context for Tommy Armstrong - those stats primarily came against four teams that finished a combined 21-29. And one of those teams was an FCS School. FAU 3-9. Mcneese St FCS 6-5, Fresno St 6-8, and Miami 6-7. Those are worse teams than what Taysom played against.

Now that is really funny, because by me little bit of research BYU's first four game record were also 21-29. U-Conn was 2-10, Texas 6-7, Houston 8-5 and UVa 5-7 not a lot of difference. :dunno

Everyone keeps talking about Taysom Hill, when imo this game is about Everyone NOT named Taysom Hil.

Taysom Hill is a great player and will likely do Taysom Hill things... ie throw for just north of 220, rush for about 100 more and score 3 times.

It's also likely Nebraska does what it should against BYU's Defense and scores in the 30-35 range.

So really what this game comes down to is does BYU with a combo of their Defense, Special Teams and non-Taysom running game have enough to keep pace with Nebraska and get a couple scores when Hill isn't getting his.

2ev3xj8.png

2ev6ux5.png

2ev3xj8.png

2ev6ux5.png

Now that is really funny, because by me little bit of research BYU's first four game record were also 21-29. U-Conn was 2-10, Texas 6-7, Houston 8-5 and UVa 5-7 not a lot of difference. :dunno

BYU also knocked out UConn's starting QB who medically retired a few days after the game.

But you're right. Not much difference otherwise. McNeese State was the best team you played in September. Good thing Abdullah saved your ass.

Everyone keeps talking about Taysom Hill, when imo this game is about Everyone NOT named Taysom Hil.

Taysom Hill is a great player and will likely do Taysom Hill things... ie throw for just north of 220, rush for about 100 more and score 3 times.

It's also likely Nebraska does what it should against BYU's Defense and scores in the 30-35 range.

So really what this game comes down to is does BYU with a combo of their Defense, Special Teams and non-Taysom running game have enough to keep pace with Nebraska and get a couple scores when Hill isn't getting his.

Oh, I completely agree. That is exactly what the game is about. To me it just seem funny how everyone is making Hill out to be this super human. They did it with Jake Locker a couple of years ago. It is not the guys that you have respect for that you have to worry about a lot of times it is the ones you don't respect. Like the QB at Minnesota he killed us last year.

Oh, I completely agree. That is exactly what the game is about. To me it just seem funny how everyone is making Hill out to be this super human. They did it with Jake Locker a couple of years ago. It is not the guys that you have respect for that you have to worry about a lot of times it is the ones you don't respect. Like the QB at Minnesota he killed us last year.

I disagree. Taysom is the kind of player who can win a game by himself.

I disagree. Taysom is the kind of player who can win a game by himself.

Really? that would be cool to see. I have never seen one player go against an entire 11 man team all by themselves. By the sounds of it, we might see him do that this Saturday.