Running Backs - What Will We Learn This Spring

Cross was a beast. Somewhere along the line he tried to become a different runner. I hope that Davis can get him to run lower behind his pads and use his size. Squared up and running behind his pads, he is a load to bring down. Not so much an east west guy, but in Riley's inside zone running game (IIRC) he could be a force. Add in some OL getting to the second level and have smaller DB's try to tackle him in the open field and you have success.

As others mentioned above, a fresh Cross in the 2nd half can pay off down the road into the season. Its a long season and a healthy big back can really help out. I have nothing wrong with back by committee, so long as their coming in doesn't signal a specific play i.e. Taylor in and its a pass, Cross in a dive etc....

With this experienced of a staff, I really think we will see more guys rotating though than we have in years. Not so much to find the "right guy", but to find the "right combination" of guys. Its a long season and experience down the stretch will help us and has seemed to bite us in the a$$ the past few years specifically with injuries. RB has really been hit with this.

OL is also key. AA made average play great (save the MIA game). Currently, our current backs to not possess AA's talent level. Less than average OL play and it will be tough going.

Cross never has ran violently and hit holes hard ever since he got here. He should make LBs and DBs pay dearly for meeting him in the hole and he just never has done that like I thought he should. I don't think that is what the old staff taught him to do but they never were able to get him to lower his pads and hit the hole fast and hard. Hopefully this staff can.

Cross never has ran violently and hit holes hard ever since he got here. He should make LBs and DBs pay dearly for meeting him in the hole and he just never has done that like I thought he should. I don't think that is what the old staff taught him to do but they never were able to get him to lower his pads and hit the hole fast and hard. Hopefully this staff can.

2012 5.9/carry 7 TD

2013 5.3/carry 5 TD

2014 5.1/carry 10 TD

He seems to have gotten less "violent". I am hoping Davis gets him back to old form. The above doesn't take into consideration in which games he played. Could've come against lesser teams. IMO, he seemed to run better early on. Like a man on a mission. Somewhere along the line, his style changed.

2012 5.9/carry 7 TD

2013 5.3/carry 5 TD

2014 5.1/carry 10 TD

He seems to have gotten less "violent". I am hoping Davis gets him back to old form. The above doesn't take into consideration in which games he played. Could've come against lesser teams. IMO, he seemed to run better early on. Like a man on a mission. Somewhere along the line, his style changed.

The other oddity for Cross is his YPC numbers are severely inflated by one or two long runs. I'd have to go look again but I think his 2012 and 2013 YPC numbers drop by almost a yard if you take out his longest run. That may seem obvious but for a guy who's supposed to be a thumper and get the tough yards, it's really only one or two freak plays that make the numbers look a lot better.

In 2012, he had a 44 yard run against Arkansas State. Removing that run drops his average FOR THE YEAR from 5.9 to 5.2. In conference play he averaged 3.8.

In 2013, he had the 51 yard TD run right up the middle against Michigan State. Removing that run drops his average from 5.3 to 4.7. In conference play he averaged 4.6. Without that run it was 3.7.

Last year he had a 62 yard run against Fresno State. Removing that run drops his average from 5.1 to 4.3. In conference play he averaged 4.3.

• Fire 1

There is no way Ameer does what he did without at least a decent O line. Now, did they lay an egg in some big games??? Definitely. And, when they did, Ameer had bad games. But, you don't put up the stats like he did without some big guys in front of you doing their jobs at least on a decent level.

Well, I think they've been decent. But hardly championship caliber. This is a line with a good player here and there over the years, not one of the nation's finest. I think scheme, commitment to the run game, and more than above average backs have contributed to production that is much more north of average than the line itself has been.

Oh man everyone thought Taylor would be the best

It still wouldn't surprise me if he's the most complete back we have. But he hasn't played three of the last four years. Coach Davis was saying yesterday that he thought Taylor was still hesitant in the first half of spring practice from the injuries he's had. Davis thought he's looking more confident in the couple practices this week. He still has time to work his way into the rotation.

This confirms what I have been saying about Newby probably getting the starting nod next season. I think he can be an excellent back for us, especially if he toughens up some. His experience separates him from the likes of Taylor and Wilbon, but that's not to say either of those 2 couldn't beat him out at some point down the road.