Defensive scheme concerns

If your defense is designed to turn runs back inside, then any sort of man/matchup coverage is the stupidest thing you could do. Throw in a 2 gap dline in an effort to make up for a numbers disadvantage in the box due to your overzealous obsession with stopping the pass, and overly complicated run fits internally, and it's no wonder all it took was a simple crack back to drag a corner inside (wisconsin) or create misalignment to allow a qb to get outside time and time again (minnesota). Im no expert obviously. But I like to think I know enough to know that this whole theory was a complete conglomeration of a mixture of philosophies that resulted in a quagmeyer of complete bullsh#t and embarrassment. No wonder is all I can say. No wonder.

• Fire 2

I do not have complete confidence in Banker either, but what gives me hope this year is the talk about how good our DTs are. I read a story today where either riley or Banker said they were better than any DTs in the PAC10. IMO, great DTs is where great defense starts.

if they are THAT good, Bo's scheme must have been f'd up, big time!

I do not have complete confidence in Banker either, but what gives me hope this year is the talk about how good our DTs are. I read a story today where either riley or Banker said they were better than any DTs in the PAC10. IMO, great DTs is where great defense starts.

What more evidence do you need? You act as if you still haven't come to the realization. Bo's scheme is f'd up big time. 408 yards in 3 quarters. 70 points from Wisconsin in the BTCG. 63 from Ohio St. Record yards allowed from UCLA. 38 unanswered points at home in the second half. Most rush yards ever allowed by a Husker defense. Bo Pelini's defense hold seven or eight of the top ten worst defensive performances in Nebraska History.

Oh lord, you're not one of those people that have someow been convinced that our players are the ones that were terrible? Gimme a break. We have talent and lots of it. I've been telling you people all of this for years now. YEARS!

Be ready to clean out our drawers quite a bit this season cause your gonna sh#t when you begin to realize how good some of these guys actually can be in the right scheme.

• Fire 1

What more evidence do you need? You act as if you still haven't come to the realization. Bo's scheme is f'd up big time. 408 yards in 3 quarters. 70 points from Wisconsin in the BTCG. 63 from Ohio St. Record yards allowed from UCLA. 38 unanswered points at home in the second half. Most rush yards ever allowed by a Husker defense. Bo Pelini's defense hold seven or eight of the top ten worst defensive performances in Nebraska History.

Oh lord, you're not one of those people that have someow been convinced that our players are the ones that were terrible? Gimme a break. We have talent and lots of it. I've been telling you people all of this for years now. YEARS!

Be ready to clean out our drawers quite a bit this season cause your gonna sh#t when you begin to realize how good some of these guys actually can be in the right scheme.

sure we have some stand outs......but damn Sam........the whole D was a downer last season......i don't think a quantum leap is to be expected, better play yes, but our D ain't gonna be good enough to carry our O......and that will be necessary.......especially early on....the DT's will be helpful, but LB's are thin and thinner........looking for true freshman to get some time at LB, whether they are ready or not.......that sure isn't comforting in my book!

sure we have some stand outs......but damn Sam........the whole D was a downer last season......i don't think a quantum leap is to be expected, better play yes, but our D ain't gonna be good enough to carry our O......and that will be necessary.......especially early on....the DT's will be helpful, but LB's are thin and thinner........looking for true freshman to get some time at LB, whether they are ready or not.......that sure isn't comforting in my book!

They were a downer because they were playing in Bo Pelini's scheme and being coached by Papuchis.

That's the whole point my friend.

I'm trying to talk simply about the athletes on the field and what we believe these guys are as individuals. Now evaluate them individually, then imagine them as a group playing in a fierce ass attacking defense and tell me you don't get a bit excited for the future.

How couldn't you?

• Fire 1

I'd like to add that most new players in Bo's system became a lot better after a season or two with it. Even the group that transitioned to Bo's 1st season had some difficulty. They had an 8-4 regular season, gave up 62 to OU & 52 to Missouri. They gave 28 points or more, 7 out of 12 games. And not once during the season were the Huskers ever ranked. They improved a lot the following year with more time in the system. As did most newcomers that could stay healthy.

So I am not sweating Banker's system. The current struggles are mostly because you have good athletes learning something new. It's going to take some time. Eventually they will develop into good players within the system.

• Fire 4

I was a little concerned when I read that they have the whole defense besides goalline installed and it was like day 5 or 6 of a new staffs spring ball. Hard to imagine installing ur whole def package and teaching the fundamental techniques it would take to execute ur defense.

I'm sure they will have small things they work on week to week, but when you get down to it, defense should be simpler than offense. I would go as far as to say most of the better defenses tend to keep most things fairly simple, mainly designed to put athletes in position to make plays. A lot of defense ends up at "see ball, get to ball" after the ball is snapped. Look at the flip side, Pelini's defense players wouldn't "get" completely for a couple of years. Not the best way to get the best players on the field.

I was a little concerned when I read that they have the whole defense besides goalline installed and it was like day 5 or 6 of a new staffs spring ball. Hard to imagine installing ur whole def package and teaching the fundamental techniques it would take to execute ur defense.

I'm sure they will have small things they work on week to week, but when you get down to it, defense should be simpler than offense. I would go as far as to say most of the better defenses tend to keep most things fairly simple, mainly designed to put athletes in position to make plays. A lot of defense ends up at "see ball, get to ball" after the ball is snapped. Look at the flip side, Pelini's defense players wouldn't "get" completely for a couple of years. Not the best way to get the best players on the field.

See ball get ball is over simplifying defensive play. If u have unbelievable talent then yes it is see ball get ball. If u have as many bright spots as u do concerns on defense i hope we can handle being simple. I cringe with the thought of Mike rose having to cover a quick 2 or athletic tight end which he Will be doing in our base defense. Hoping banker is the answer but I am not completely sold on him. Good thing it is only spring ball of their first year so no need to panic but I am curious to see how we will fit different styles of offenses.

Guys, they've only practiced what? Ten times?

They haven't played a game yet.

Please let's not do this. Holy hell.

What were his defensive ranks prior to his arrival here at Nebraska?

I think you can look at history as an example of future performance. It's not perfect, but it'll give you an idea. From what I can tell, Banker was the main person who received the bulk of the criticism from the Oregon State fans and media. Mike Riley brought him here because they've coached together basically for their entire careers together. I'm not sure that's a good thing.

• Fire 1

Since 2008 he has had three defenses that were decent. They were ranked 23, 30 and 46 in total yards. I said decent not dominant. The rest were not highly ranked. This indicates to me that it's very possible his problems in Oregon state was talent and the few years he had decent talent, he had decent defenses.

I'm more than willing to give him the benefit of the doubt and see what he can do with the major upgrade in talent he has here compared to Corvallis.

As far as scoring defense, his team was second on the conference in 2012. Again, that indicates to me that it's possible when he has talent, his team can play good defense.

I think what was said is the the "base" defense has been installed. That doesn't mean the entire package has been installed.