Defensive scheme concerns

Guys, they've only practiced what? Ten times?

They haven't played a game yet.

Please let's not do this. Holy hell.

What were his defensive ranks prior to his arrival here at Nebraska?

I think you can look at history as an example of future performance. It's not perfect, but it'll give you an idea. From what I can tell, Banker was the main person who received the bulk of the criticism from the Oregon State fans and media. Mike Riley brought him here because they've coached together basically for their entire careers together. I'm not sure that's a good thing.

Riley didn't just bring him here cause they've coached together for a long time.

Obviously, for him and Riley to coach together for so long at Oregon St., and then to carry on with him at Nebraska, Riley clearly believes in Banker as a coach.

Maybe Riley believes there were other reasons for some defensive struggles. I know this without even digging into it; they played some of the better offenses out there on a regular basis.

Regardless, Banker deserves a shot as much as anybody else does. Hell, Papuchis even got a shot at DC at Nebraska and who the hell is he to be holding that postion? Maybe we reserve the bitching, negativity, and questioning his scheme til' we have a decent sample size of how his NEBRASKA defense is even going to look.

I'm more than willing to give him a chance to see how his defense performs at Nebraska. He'll be playing in a joke of a division, the offenses in the B1G West aren't very good. So, statistically, he better improve.

However, going on hope each season hasn't worked out well for Nebraska for about a decade and a half. Instead, I'll predict what I think will happen based on past performance. Which for Banker and his defenses border on poor sometimes and mediocre most of the time. My honest prediction is a slight drop off on the defensive side of the ball.

Really? That surprises me a bit but it's alright if that's your expectation. Honestly, I just don't see how it could get worse.

Here's a basic thought of mine on the concept of playing defense in the Big Ten West. I look at the QB's, then I look at the RB's. We play quite a few good RB's throughout the year, but we only play a couple decent Qb's during the season. So the natural conclusion for any defensive coach is to stop the run and make the QB best you with his arm. What QB will we face this year that you believe could beat us with his arm? Maybe Kaaya at Miami? Cook at Michigan St.?

I've never been able to grasp Bo's commitment to stopping the pass whether it be in recruiting or playing 7 men in pass coverage. We rarely blitzed and we never crowded the line of scrimmage, even as we watched every other team in the country do it to us.

Changing these things alone should make immediate improvements. Unless of course, you think there are a lot of dangerous QB's in the Big Ten West. But then of course, you'd be the only one to think so.

• Fire 2

I think you can look at history as an example of future performance. It's not perfect, but it'll give you an idea. From what I can tell, Banker was the main person who received the bulk of the criticism from the Oregon State fans and media. Mike Riley brought him here because they've coached together basically for their entire careers together. I'm not sure that's a good thing.

Riley didn't just bring him here cause they've coached together for a long time.

Obviously, for him and Riley to coach together for so long at Oregon St., and then to carry on with him at Nebraska, Riley clearly believes in Banker as a coach.

Maybe Riley believes there were other reasons for some defensive struggles. I know this without even digging into it; they played some of the better offenses out there on a regular basis.

Regardless, Banker deserves a shot as much as anybody else does. Hell, Papuchis even got a shot at DC at Nebraska and who the hell is he to be holding that postion? Maybe we reserve the bitching, negativity, and questioning his scheme til' we have a decent sample size of how his NEBRASKA defense is even going to look.

I'm more than willing to give him a chance to see how his defense performs at Nebraska. He'll be playing in a joke of a division, the offenses in the B1G West aren't very good. So, statistically, he better improve.

However, going on hope each season hasn't worked out well for Nebraska for about a decade and a half. Instead, I'll predict what I think will happen based on past performance. Which for Banker and his defenses border on poor sometimes and mediocre most of the time. My honest prediction is a slight drop off on the defensive side of the ball.

Really? That surprises me a bit but it's alright if that's your expectation. Honestly, I just don't see how it could get worse.

Here's a basic thought of mine on the concept of playing defense in the Big Ten West. I look at the QB's, then I look at the RB's. We play quite a few good RB's throughout the year, but we only play a couple decent Qb's during the season. So the natural conclusion for any defensive coach is to stop the run and make the QB best you with his arm. What QB will we face this year that you believe could beat us with his arm? Maybe Kaaya at Miami? Cook at Michigan St.?

I've never been able to grasp Bo's commitment to stopping the pass whether it be in recruiting or playing 7 men in pass coverage. We rarely blitzed and we never crowded the line of scrimmage, even as we watched every other team in the country do it to us.

Changing these things alone should make immediate improvements. Unless of course, you think there are a lot of dangerous QB's in the Big Ten West. But then of course, you'd be the only one to think so.

Totally in agreement here.

And the bolded part is what every team focused on when preparing to play us "So the natural conclusion for any defensive coach is to stop the run and make the QB best you with his arm." (including a team like Macneese state). Those good teams that carried out that plan pretty much gave our offense fits throughout the games and we usually turned the ball over more often than not.

And the bolded part is what every team focused on when preparing to play us "So the natural conclusion for any defensive coach is to stop the run and make the QB best you with his arm." (including a team like Macneese state). Those good teams that carried out that plan pretty much gave our offense fits throughout the games and we usually turned the ball over more often than not.

The Big 10 (Wisconsin, Iowa to a lesser extent) punished Pelini for that defensive philosophy. We should outclass Iowa, but we struggled against their offense at times.

As far as my expectations, I expect similar results against the run and a worse defense against the pass.

The Big 10 (Wisconsin, Iowa to a lesser extent) punished Pelini for that defensive philosophy. We should outclass Iowa, but we struggled against their offense at times.

As far as my expectations, I expect similar results against the run and a worse defense against the pass.

Pelini didn't have that philosophy

I still struggle why people let stats fool them into thinking Bo had a strong pass defense. Teams didn't have to pass, but they certainly could if they wanted to.

It's easy to have a statistically good pass defense when You allow hundreds of rushing yards
What people should be excited about is the DB play with no pass rush. They get any kind of pressure and this D will be fine.
  • Fire 1

I still struggle why people let stats fool them into thinking Bo had a strong pass defense. Teams didn't have to pass, but they certainly could if they wanted to.

It's easy to have a statistically good pass defense when You allow hundreds of rushing yards

Also when the teams in your division aren't prolific passing teams.

Banker talked a lot about playing a Quarters system earlier. Man-free also. Compared it to MSU.

I see some growing pains, but overall, I think we might see faster tempo from some of the kids (mentally), which may have less mistakes. MSU might have been a consistently good defense lately, but they have been vulnerable. But name a defense that hasn't been. What you have to ask yourself is are the "Jimmy's and Joe's" (as Banker calls them) better than MSU's and are they better than Oregon State's? I think it's obvious that our talent is by far better than Oregon State's. As a very biased Nebraska fan, I would say our talent on D is better than MSU's too, but not by too much.

Also, Banker is no Narduzzi.

Overall, the team's overall excitement about the new scheme should mean something. One thing I see is that they can see themselves "fit" within the scheme. I think A LOT of them did not feel comfortable and did not feel like they "fit" in Bo's scheme. I think the player's ability to see the fit and feel comfortable within the scheme goes a long way in how they can better execute from play to play.

Banker talked a lot about playing a Quarters system earlier. Man-free also. Compared it to MSU.

I see some growing pains, but overall, I think we might see faster tempo from some of the kids (mentally), which may have less mistakes. MSU might have been a consistently good defense lately, but they have been vulnerable. But name a defense that hasn't been. What you have to ask yourself is are the "Jimmy's and Joe's" (as Banker calls them) better than MSU's and are they better than Oregon State's? I think it's obvious that our talent is by far better than Oregon State's. As a very biased Nebraska fan, I would say our talent on D is better than MSU's too, but not by too much.

Also, Banker is no Narduzzi.

Overall, the team's overall excitement about the new scheme should mean something. One thing I see is that they can see themselves "fit" within the scheme. I think A LOT of them did not feel comfortable and did not feel like they "fit" in Bo's scheme. I think the player's ability to see the fit and feel comfortable within the scheme goes a long way in how they can better execute from play to play.

Shilique Calhoun < Randy

LT < Maliek

Joel Heath < Valentine

Marcus Rush > McMullen

Star/Buck: Darrien Harris > Bando

Mike: Taiwan Jones > Roach

Sam/Will: Ed Davis > Newby/Santos

Lippett & Waynes > Mitchell, Davie

FS: Kurtis Drummond > Nate Gerry

SS: RJ Williamson > Corey Cooper

MSU 8-3. I'd say they're much more talented

Bo's good pass defenses were measured in a way in which it had nothing to due with how many times or how well a team ran the ball on him. It was measured in pass efficiency defense. Yards per completion. Or yards per attempt.

• Fire 1

Bo's good pass defenses were measured in a way in which it had nothing to due with how many times or how well a team ran the ball on him. It was measured in pass efficiency defense. Yards per completion. Or yards per attempt.

So if Bo always drops 7 in coverage that can't inflate those stats? I bet it does

So if Bo always drops 7 in coverage that can't inflate those stats? I bet it does

I'm just saying that the parameters of which his pass defense was measured factually had nothing to do with how many times a team threw or ran the ball or how successful they were at running. It was based on efficiency against the pass alone. Now, if the stat was based on average yards per game, then yes, it's inflated because it's irrelevant to hold a team to 100 yards passing a game when theyre running for 400+. But his pass defense success was based on efficiency agaisnt the pass alone. It was pretty good even when teams were throwing a lot. I always go back to Texas's '09 defense in that big 12 title game and all the prop they constantly got for having the top rushing defense, and they showed the ranks based on yards per game, which was crap because no one in the big 12 ran. That's an instance of style affecting stat. These are the reasons a lot of folks arent looking at big picture stats anymore and these efficiency ratings are starting to become all the big craze in statistical analysis.

In contradiction, I agree that it was in sacrafice of defending the run. This is obvious as well. Im just pointing out a simple fact that Bo's pass defense and secondaries werent known as very good simply because "teams didnt have to pass against us" cuz that's not how it was measured.

Yes, embarrasingly we showed no respect against the run against anyone.

• Fire 1