Hittin' the links: Golf talk

Haven't had a chance to watch those videos yet today, BRB, but thanks for posting. +1 (I'm at work, finally. Hey, I got to work sometime!)

I did stop off for about 45 minutes of chipping/putting this morning. In the past I've tended to only use one club around the green. I used my 52 degree Vokey wedge. It's serviceable for any shot from 10 yards in (or up to 75 yards for that matter). But for shots right around the green I'm finding out that I should change clubs for different situations. For shots into a steeply downsloping green I'm finding that it's easier to get the ball stopped with my 56 degree wedge. (Duh!) Also, the 56 works well where I've short sided myself and need to pitch 10 yards or more to reach the green. For shots from right off the green where I can roll it a ways, the 8 iron or 7 iron works best.

The problem (for me anyway) with using three or four clubs for different situations around the green is that it takes a different touch for each club. I'm still working on developing said touch. And clearly I got a loong way to go. :lol:

edit: One other thing--I'm learning that the lie and condition of the rough makes a HUGE difference from around the green. Seems like it's almost as important to read the ball's lie as it is to read the green where the ball hits and will be rolling towards the hole.

I used to switch clubs all the time but I wasn't very good around the green. A couple years ago I started using my PW any time I could. That way I was always hitting the same club and just had to adjust for distance. Perhaps a coincidence but I've had MUCH better success around the green. I feel I should pretty much get up and down most of the time now where before I was all over the place.

I still have to use a different club from time to time - mostly my LW when I have to have mostly carry and not much roll - but I'd say I can use my PW about 90% of the time. Of course, my local course doesn't have very many bunkers, etc. to contend with either.

Something I have been working on the last couple weeks or so is from 40-100 yds. If I'm inside of about 40 yds I feel pretty confident in what I can do from that area. For me I like to take my 56* Cleveland wedge and almost hit a little knock down shot where it doesn't get as high as normal. Normally 70-80 yds is a full SW for me. I have been working on taking a PW and hitting little controlled knock down wedges. Been working out for me so far. Easier to control side-to-side misses just have to get a feel for yardage.

Played my first round of the year this morning. It was very calm and cool conditions. I hit the ball pretty inconsistently, which is expected for the first time playing this year. I scored exceptionally well (for myself anyway) as I ended up shooting an 81. I had 3 "big holes" with a triple and 2 bogeys, but those were offset with 3 birdies (including a chip in).

The course I played is a pretty open, park-style course with some fairways next to another, so I was able to get away with some wild drives. It was nice to get out and hit the links though.

Haven't had a chance to watch those videos yet today, BRB, but thanks for posting. +1 (I'm at work, finally. Hey, I got to work sometime!)

I did stop off for about 45 minutes of chipping/putting this morning. In the past I've tended to only use one club around the green. I used my 52 degree Vokey wedge. It's serviceable for any shot from 10 yards in (or up to 75 yards for that matter). But for shots right around the green I'm finding out that I should change clubs for different situations. For shots into a steeply downsloping green I'm finding that it's easier to get the ball stopped with my 56 degree wedge. (Duh!) Also, the 56 works well where I've short sided myself and need to pitch 10 yards or more to reach the green. For shots from right off the green where I can roll it a ways, the 8 iron or 7 iron works best.

The problem (for me anyway) with using three or four clubs for different situations around the green is that it takes a different touch for each club. I'm still working on developing said touch. And clearly I got a loong way to go. :lol:

edit: One other thing--I'm learning that the lie and condition of the rough makes a HUGE difference from around the green. Seems like it's almost as important to read the ball's lie as it is to read the green where the ball hits and will be rolling towards the hole.

I don't agree with this (for the average shot with each club.)

This video shows using three different clubs from the same spot to different spots on the green. The swing is the same. The ball acts different though with each club to get the desired shot.

LINK

• Fire 2

This video shows using three different clubs from the same spot to different spots on the green. The swing is the same. The ball acts different though with each club to get the desired shot.

LINK

I say that based on what I was doing this morning. Practicing balls about 8 feet off the green with 35 feet of green to the hole, on a slight uphill green. I was very inconsistent using my 52 gap wedge to pitch it halfway there and roll the rest. It took about an 18 inch back swing to get close to the hole. Then I switched to the 8 iron. Taking the same 18 inch swing back swing sent the ball 20 past the hole with my 8 iron. But when I eased down to a shorter swing, it was much easier to get close to the hole. I could get to within four or five feet most of the time.

I'm not necessarily disagreeing with the video (which I haven't watched yet. lol) But it just seems like, for a given distance, it takes a somewhat different stroke with the 8 iron than it does with a gap wedge or a 56 wedge. Maybe it would take the same swing if I had been hitting into a level green instead of an uphill green. But again, thanks for the video. +1

LINK

I say that based on what I was doing this morning. Practicing balls about 8 feet off the green with 35 feet of green to the hole, on a slight uphill green. I was very inconsistent using my 52 gap wedge to pitch it halfway there and roll the rest. It took about an 18 inch back swing to get close to the hole. Then I switched to the 8 iron. Taking the same 18 inch swing back swing sent the ball 20 past the hole with my 8 iron. But when I eased down to a shorter swing, it was much easier to get close to the hole. I could get to within four or five feet most of the time.

I'm not necessarily disagreeing with the video (which I haven't watched yet. lol) But it just seems like, for a given distance, it takes a somewhat different stroke with the 8 iron than it does with a gap wedge or a 56 wedge. Maybe it would take the same swing if I had been hitting into a level green instead of an uphill green. But again, thanks for the video. +1

I think when you watch the video, you will see the difference in the thought process between what you are doing and what this guy is saying to do.

Good luck.

I am so frustrated today. I have played every day this week. I have been shooting fairly well (for me) all week. Yesterday at noon, I go out and hit a bucket of balls. I hit the ball very well. I went and practiced chipping and putting. Was very satisfied with how I played.

Then, last night, I go to league night and shoot quite possibly the worst round I have shot in years. I was so frustrated by the end of the night that all I could do is laugh. I was either hitting the ball 4 inches behind it or blading the crap out of it.

I'm trying to decide if I want to go out at noon and hit balls or just say screw it for this week.

I was so frustrated that I went out and shot a quick 9 holes at noon. I took 8 strokes off of what I shot last night.

This is a frustrating game.

• Fire 1

Good video on what can cause some common problems with pitching and chipping.

LINK

Here's a good one about the thought process behind it.

LINK

To me, thinking about a chip shot like this makes it more fun and actually more fun to practice.

Just got around to watching those two videos. Seems like pretty good advice for chipping. Especially the first one about being aware of the ball position relative to your sternum rather than just your feet. I should probably go back and watch these a couple more times as I work on my chipping this summer.

I learned a new shot yesterday. Or maybe I should say I relearned it. I used to use this shot, but since I haven't played much in the past couple of years I've sort of forgotten about it.

Anyway, the shot is a flop shot out of deep rough. Steep angle of attack, hitting behind the ball an inch or so. Almost like a bunker shot. I was practicing this shot yesterday afternoon after a guy showed it to me. Works great! I used my 56 wedge with 14 degrees of bounce. It pops the ball right up every time, rather than getting the club face stuck in the deep rough as sometimes happens with a shallower angle of attack. Seems like every round I've played this past couple of years (which hasn't been many. lol), I end up flubbing a shot or two from the deep rough within 15 yards of the green. This shot should help with that. :lol:

Played my first round in a year last week. Had my left hip replaced in January and got clearance from the Dr. a few weeks ago. Weather was finally good enough on one of my days off to play. Had hit 2 buckets of balls in the last 2 weeks but this was the first excursion onto the course. Played 2 balls for 9 holes, each one legit played out. Shot 37 with one ball with 1 birdie. Shot 33 with the other ball with 4 birdies. I was absolutely ecstatic since I hadn't played in 10 months due to the pain. Wanted to give my Dr. a huge hug.

Played my first round in a year last week. Had my left hip replaced in January and got clearance from the Dr. a few weeks ago. Weather was finally good enough on one of my days off to play. Had hit 2 buckets of balls in the last 2 weeks but this was the first excursion onto the course. Played 2 balls for 9 holes, each one legit played out. Shot 37 with one ball with 1 birdie. Shot 33 with the other ball with 4 birdies. I was absolutely ecstatic since I hadn't played in 10 months due to the pain. Wanted to give my Dr. a huge hug.

Ha ha! Those are remarkable scores! What course do you play?

You must be a natural. I could spent every day for the next decade practicing golf and not hit a 33. :lol:

I learned a new shot yesterday. Or maybe I should say I relearned it. I used to use this shot, but since I haven't played much in the past couple of years I've sort of forgotten about it.

Anyway, the shot is a flop shot out of deep rough. Steep angle of attack, hitting behind the ball an inch or so. Almost like a bunker shot. I was practicing this shot yesterday afternoon after a guy showed it to me. Works great! I used my 56 wedge with 14 degrees of bounce. It pops the ball right up every time, rather than getting the club face stuck in the deep rough as sometimes happens with a shallower angle of attack. Seems like every round I've played this past couple of years (which hasn't been many. lol), I end up flubbing a shot or two from the deep rough within 15 yards of the green. This shot should help with that. :lol:

What kind of distance are you seeing from this shot?

I use a flop shot quite a bit if I'm within about 30-40 feet of the green, in deep enough rough and/or have to go over something like a bunker. I have so many people I play with just not understand how I do it. I personally think one of the biggest mistakes they make when they try to use it is they are scared to swing hard enough. I have to basically take almost a full swing even though I don't plan on the ball going very far.

I use a flop shot quite a bit if I'm within about 30-40 feet of the green, in deep enough rough and/or have to go over something like a bunker. I have so many people I play with just not understand how I do it. I personally think one of the biggest mistakes they make when they try to use it is they are scared to swing hard enough. I have to basically take almost a full swing even though I don't plan on the ball going very far.

Ha ha! I haven't hit this enough to have much distance control. And it depends a lot on the lie. If the ball is sitting up off the ground I can hit it 30 to 40 feet with my 56 wedge. Might be able to hit it a bit further than that, but probably not much. If the ball is buried deep in the rough it won't go nearly as far. It's not a shot I could play from 70 yards out, or even from 50 yards.

I'm just glad to discover a shot I can use to pop the ball up on the green when I'm sitting a few yards off in deep rough. A place I frequently end up, it seems like.

Ha ha! I haven't hit this enough to have much distance control. And it depends a lot on the lie. If the ball is sitting up off the ground I can hit it 30 to 40 feet with my 56 wedge. Might be able to hit it a bit further than that, but probably not much. If the ball is buried deep in the rough it won't go nearly as far. It's not a shot I could play from 70 yards out, or even from 50 yards.

I'm just glad to discover a shot I can use to pop the ball up on the green when I'm sitting a few yards off in deep rough. A place I frequently end up, it seems like.

That's what I thought. It's my experience too.