Coach Hughes

What this next 2 years will tell me is what our previous staff really lacked. Was it scheme or talent? We will soon find out

I got in a pretty good argument with a friend the other night. Still pretty bitter about the firing. To start, the discussion ended with a 100$ bet that we would be a .500 team this year, that he believes. Hell, I wanted to give him the benefit by making it 9 wins as the benchmark. Nope. He says .500. But he's also one of them guys that gets flustered when you provide facts and then he wont let you speak. So basically, we're goin 6-6 or worse next year. Pretty comical considering when asked, he couldnt tell me the 6 teams that are gonna beat us.

This is what I absolutely don't understand about some fans. OK...I can understand someone not agreeing with the firing. That's life. You're not going to please everyone. But, just because you don't agree with the firing....why does that automatically mean we are going to suck this year?

Makes no sense to me.

Why can't it be....."You know what? I didn't think Bo needed to be fired. But...hey...Riley is our coach now so let's go kick azz".??

• Fire 1

What this next 2 years will tell me is what our previous staff really lacked. Was it scheme or talent? We will soon find out

I got in a pretty good argument with a friend the other night. Still pretty bitter about the firing. To start, the discussion ended with a 100$ bet that we would be a .500 team this year, that he believes. Hell, I wanted to give him the benefit by making it 9 wins as the benchmark. Nope. He says .500. But he's also one of them guys that gets flustered when you provide facts and then he wont let you speak. So basically, we're goin 6-6 or worse next year. Pretty comical considering when asked, he couldnt tell me the 6 teams that are gonna beat us.

This is what I absolutely don't understand about some fans. OK...I can understand someone not agreeing with the firing. That's life. You're not going to please everyone. But, just because you don't agree with the firing....why does that automatically mean we are going to suck this year?

Makes no sense to me.

Why can't it be....."You know what? I didn't think Bo needed to be fired. But...hey...Riley is our coach now so let's go kick azz".??

Or giving the new guy ZERO chance for the sake of continuing to blindly support the old guy. That's always a hilarious twist of irony as well.

Makes no sense to me.

Or giving the new guy ZERO chance for the sake of continuing to blindly support the old guy. That's always a hilarious twist of irony as well.

Considering the old guy now has zero ties to NU

I supported Bo till pretty close to the bitter end. I did the same with Callahan. I'll probably do the same with Riley. I'm an optimist. I always believe tommorrow could very well be better than today. Like it's always brighter on the other side. So with Bo gone and Riley here, I dont understand any lack of support for the current guy. it's part of my "support the program, not the coach" ideal.

• Fire 4

I supported Bo till pretty close to the bitter end. I did the same with Callahan. I'll probably do the same with Riley. I'm an optimist. I always believe tommorrow could very well be better than today. Like it's always brighter on the other side. So with Bo gone and Riley here, I dont understand any lack of support for the current guy. it's part of my "support the program, not the coach" ideal.

Exactly how I feel. Yet, after getting burned on the last two changes, and 15 years of wallowing in the mud, I'm not jumping in the kool-aid pool.... yet.

Exactly how I feel. Yet, after getting burned on the last two changes, and 15 years of wallowing in the mud, I'm not jumping in the kool-aid pool.... yet.

It's not really about the kool aid to me. It's just about standing behind your team. And while I'm one that says there's really no excuse for less than 9 wins this year, I also have the proper perspective to understand that there could be some much more significant growing pains than I anticipate. I'll give the guy a chance. I understand the angst with the hire, but doing the homework, I see much more hidden positives than known negatives.

I like how he is instructing them to get up field and keep forward so you can see what is going on. Like his comment about spinning, if your spinning, it means you don't know what your doing.

Me too. And playing with confidence. That was surprising to me. I don't know why but I thought he was going to be this tough coach who is hard on his players. And he is basically saying that as a teacher, you don't necessarily have to be that way. The line has some talent so it will be exciting to see how the group progresses. I've always heard and thought you have to control the LOS if you want to dictate the game. I'm ready for that.

remember the few times in the last couple years when Bo would unleash the defense for a quarter or half and just play like madmen and get results?? we might just see this all year.

Was that Bo doing that? Or the players just going rogue for a quarter?

Serious question. Cuz when you see a Wisconsin running the exact same play in the 4th for 20 yard gains as they were in the 2nd, it's pretty obvious the coach never changed sh#t. Really brings to perspective the playmaking ability of Lavonte David and Suh and whether or not they were actually within the scheme or not.

The pieces are there to be a good defense, as Count said, that doesn't mean that the defense will completely shut everyone down. In this day and age of football it is almost impossible to do all the time. What you want to see is consistent play that can be built on and can be adjusted in games.

The reason why you saw NU under perform against good power run teams was the scheme. BP's scheme was too exacting and required too much thinking. He gave his safeties and LBs too much to think about because he was so worried about getting burnt for 300 yards passing. Which is ass backwards

NU has the athletes to have a good defense they are solid at every level athlete wise, but not super deep at DE and LB.

• Fire 1