Golf

2 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

Interesting.  I had forgotten about that.

How many guys could play well without their hybrids?

I think a lot of people could play better if they figured out their clubs between their driver and their longest iron.  My longest iron is a 5-iron (which is basically like my old 3-iron), so I carry a 4-hybrid and a 3-wood, but I also carry 4 wedges.  I will use my 3-wood (metal) off the tee quite often, and I will use the 4-hybrid for any shot from the fairway/rough which requires a shot over 220 yards.

• Plus1 1

1 hour ago, ColoradoHusk said:

I think a lot of people could play better if they figured out their clubs between their driver and their longest iron.  My longest iron is a 5-iron (which is basically like my old 3-iron), so I carry a 4-hybrid and a 3-wood, but I also carry 4 wedges.  I will use my 3-wood (metal) off the tee quite often, and I will use the 4-hybrid for any shot from the fairway/rough which requires a shot over 220 yards.

OK, so how would you do if you had to go back to using your 3 iron without your hybrid?

I used to carry a 3 and 4 iron with no hybrids and actually hit them pretty decent.  Then, I bought a 4 (200-210) and 5 (180-190) hybrid and love them.  

• Plus1 1
12 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

OK, so how would you do if you had to go back to using your 3 iron without your hybrid?

I used to carry a 3 and 4 iron with no hybrids and actually hit them pretty decent.  Then, I bought a 4 (200-210) and 5 (180-190) hybrid and love them.  

I wouldn't hit a current day 3 very well at all, maybe as a driving iron, but that's about it.  Using a 3 or 4 iron off the fairway is very tough because of the loft is so little.  It's just so much easier with a hybrid.  I can hit my 4-hybrid anywhere from 220-240, but I am also at altitude.

• Plus1 1

Hahaha!

I used to place pins when I was in HS and worked at a course.  We had a map that we followed for the most part so that the greens would not get worn out in one spot.

But we also had a "rule" that on the weekends when the course was going to be crazy packed...we tried to put the pins in the middle to keep play moving along.

• Plus1 2
On 5/28/2022 at 1:29 PM, Mavric said:

Yeah, this is pretty awful.  Leave it to Iowa...

That pin placement reminds me of a Heaven and Hell tournament I played in a few weeks ago.  On Saturday, everyone played from the red (ladies) tees and the pins were supposed to be in easier spots (I say supposed to because there were still some tricky pin placements), while on Saturday, the tees were pushed back and the pin placements were diabolical.

That Hell Day was the most un-fun round of my life.  Even if I was hitting it ok, the pin placements were ridiculous.  At least half of the pin placements that day were like the video posted, and there were so many 4, 5, and 6 putts on greens it was ridiculous.  The round took over 6 hours to play.

• Plus1 1
On 5/28/2022 at 2:29 PM, Mavric said:

Yeah, this is pretty awful.  Leave it to Iowa...

I believe that is actually an illegal pin placement. 

And the green design sucks. If you are putting uphill and basically stop the ball in the middle of the green, it shouldn’t run all the way back off the green and down the hill. 

23 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

And the green design sucks. If you are putting uphill and basically stop the ball in the middle of the green, it shouldn’t run all the way back off the green and down the hill. 

There is nothing wrong with having a green designed like that, as greens with 2-3 tiers or false fronts are all over golf.  However, the tournament organizers should never place a pin in a location on the top of that hill, and they shouldn't have the greens running so fast where the ball will roll back away from the cup and it gather so much speed to have it run far off the front of the green.

31 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

There is actually no such thing as an "illegal" pin placement.

But that particular placement would definitely not meet the "suggested" standards.

2 minutes ago, Mavric said:

There is actually no such thing as an "illegal" pin placement.

But that particular placement would definitely not meet the "suggested" standards.

I might be wrong about it being illegal. But, there are illegal placements. For instance, it has to be a certain distance from the edge of the green. 

• Plus1 1
12 minutes ago, ColoradoHusk said:

There is nothing wrong with having a green designed like that, as greens with 2-3 tiers or false fronts are all over golf.  However, the tournament organizers should never place a pin in a location on the top of that hill, and they shouldn't have the greens running so fast where the ball will roll back away from the cup and it gather so much speed to have it run far off the front of the green.

Yes, but, then you describe why that green is bad. 

There is a difference between a false front and what that green is going with the ball rolling all the way from the middle after coming to a complete stop. 

9 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

I might be wrong about it being illegal. But, there are illegal placements. For instance, it has to be a certain distance from the edge of the green. 

From the article you posted:

It’s not because the rules dictate where to place the pins -- there are no rules for pin placement. The U.S. Golf Association does, however, offer several guidelines and recommendations.