Looking Back ... Looking Forward

The fact we got 63% out of a Safety playing QB is kinda impressive.

The transition is probably going to hinder a lot of Armstongs natural progress from year to year but he is going to have to make an immediate impact at the position to keep it. I have no doubt Riley wants to try them all in a game just to see what he really has. Too bad our opener is against a legit team.

Remember, Ron Kellogg III was the better percentage passer, the pure drop back guy, the stay in the pocket guy and a really nice guy, but that didn't make him a better quarterback or leader, which is really the job description.

I'll take wins over percentages every time and Ron couldn't beat Iowa.

Remember, Ron Kellogg III was the better percentage passer, the pure drop back guy, the stay in the pocket guy and a really nice guy, but that didn't make him a better quarterback or leader, which is really the job description.

I'll take wins over percentages every time and Ron couldn't beat Iowa.

Say what you will about Martinez and Armstrong, but they were fearless in a way that Ron Kellogg, Cody Green, Brion Carnes and other forgotten would-be phenoms weren't.

Technique sure would have helped, but competitive instinct can't be taught.

• Fire 3

Ronnie never got called on until injury at the position so with Bo the genius that he was running things pretty sure Ron never got the playing time he probably deserved. T Mart was definitely not what I would I call a leader by any stretch of the imagination either that's for sure.

6356140307_e1ae07417d.jpg

Ronnie never got called on until injury at the position so with Bo the genius that he was running things pretty sure Ron never got the playing time he probably deserved. T Mart was definitely not what I would I call a leader by any stretch of the imagination either that's for sure.

I seem to remember his team mates calling Martinez a leader.

• Fire 3

I seem to remember his team mates calling Martinez a leader.

Of course you do. I remember him leaving teammates to answer for his poor play after losses and standing off to the side with his arms folded when we were down instead of talking with his teammates. Calling your dad on the phone at half time of a football game doesn't scream 'leader' to me.

Moving forward....the spring game is 4 days away. At least we'll get to see what kind of offense these QB's are going to be asked to run and we'll get a preview of seeing guys like Stanton, Darlington and Bush. Seems like the only time we saw backup quarterbacks under Pelini was in the spring game or when someone got injured or in a mop up duty role. It will be interesting also to see how Armstrong fares.

That's an odd way to remember the 2013 season.

It was clear to most folks that the coaching staff considered Armstrong too green and Kellogg too limited to anoint as undisputed starter when Martinez went down. So both perfectly healthy quarterbacks were alternated by series or by quarter for several games, to fairly good results initially. When it became apparent that Armstrong's passing skills weren't that much worse than Kellogg's, and his elusiveness was far superior, Armstrong largely took over the job. When Armstrong was out for the Iowa game, the offense was 100% Ron Kellogg's. At home. On Senior Day. As the hero of the Northwestern miracle. At which point Ron Kellogg III proved why he didn't deserve more playing time.

That's an odd way to remember the 2013 season.

It was clear to most folks that the coaching staff considered Armstrong too green and Kellogg too limited to anoint as undisputed starter when Martinez went down. So both perfectly healthy quarterbacks were alternated by series or by quarter for several games, to fairly good results initially. When it became apparent that Armstrong's passing skills weren't that much worse than Kellogg's, and his elusiveness was far superior, Armstrong largely took over the job. When Armstrong was out for the Iowa game, the offense was 100% Ron Kellogg's. At home. On Senior Day. As the hero of the Northwestern miracle. At which point Ron Kellogg III proved why he didn't deserve more playing time.

So the losses with Taylor at QB including the thrashing at Wisconsin proved Taylor Martinez deserved more playing time?!!?!! Kind of hard for a QB to develop chemistry and rhythm also when you come off the bench in the middle of the season like Ron did.

Let it Bo.