DPE everything we thought

I didn't know where else to put this so since DPE will be running it a lot, I thought I would put it here.

I LOVED how the jet sweep was ran from under center on his first run in the spring game. It just seemed like a very very well designed play compared to how we used to try to run it out of the shotgun. The fake can be carried out much easier and I can see how other plays are easier to run off the same look.

I didn't know where else to put this so since DPE will be running it a lot, I thought I would put it here.

I LOVED how the jet sweep was ran from under center on his first run in the spring game. It just seemed like a very very well designed play compared to how we used to try to run it out of the shotgun. The fake can be carried out much easier and I can see how other plays are easier to run off the same look.

It can be used very effectively out of the Shotgun too. Oklahoma State and West Virginia did it really well.

http://smartfootball.com/offense/anatomy-of-a-beatdown-the-key-concepts-dana-holgorsens-west-virginia-mountaineers-used-to-crush-clemson-70-33-in-the-orange-bowl#sthash.wVZGR4e6.dpbs

First 1,000 yard receiver?

I think there's a chance he gets there but it won't be in the traditional sense. I remember this from another team where they run the jet sweep out of the gun and kind of toss the ball to the sweeper. If they do that quite a bit, and they count those as receptions then I think there's a chance he gets there.

That might be nitpicking a little bit, but theres a chance. I think the true measure of his success will be, as someone previously mentioned, his all purpose yards.

About 2 months ago I met 2 of DPEs High School coaches

Talked with them for about 20 minutes one time and maybe 10 another they said:

DPE was a bit under the radar nationally because they were forced to play him a bunch at QB his Senior year, something he wasn't suited for in college

He has a lot of confidence in himself

They felt very confident he was legit DI and would make an early splash. They weren't surprised at all by what he did last year.

Kid wasn't the easiest to work with- they worked hard to make sure he stayed on the right path- didn't get into a bunch of details with it, I didn't press the issue. When I asked "Is he a good kid"? They wouldn't answer, talked around it.

It can be used very effectively out of the Shotgun too. Oklahoma State and West Virginia did it really well.

http://smartfootball.com/offense/anatomy-of-a-beatdown-the-key-concepts-dana-holgorsens-west-virginia-mountaineers-used-to-crush-clemson-70-33-in-the-orange-bowl#sthash.wVZGR4e6.dpbs

I have absolutely no doubt that it did. I'm simply saying I like it better ran from under center.

Agreed. Like I said in the "expect a diminished run game" thread, it's just more difficult for the defense to track the ball when the QB has his back turned to them. When we ran it before, it just seemed the timing was always half a second off, for whatever reason(s).

Could easily fake it and handoff to the RB up the middle, or even go play-action, QB sweep, or reverse.

Wisconsin has killed us with that play since we joined the conference.

Agreed. Like I said in the "expect a diminished run game" thread, it's just more difficult for the defense to track the ball when the QB has his back turned to them. When we ran it before, it just seemed the timing was always half a second off, for whatever reason(s).

Could easily fake it and handoff to the RB up the middle, or even go play-action, QB sweep, or reverse.

Wisconsin has killed us with that play since we joined the conference.

What I see are three very easy options to run with this.

1) Fly sweep to DPE

2) Toss sweep to I back going other direction

3) Play action pass probably to a tight end or someone else across or down the middle.

The defense has to defend the entire field.

Most of the national experts feel FLY is much more effective UC

I prefer it in Gun, the timing is easier and it doesn't have to be perfect to be effective

Peripheral vision out of gun is much easier- can call for the snap if the jet back is coming too fast

UC is pretty scary for the QB- no room for error on the mesh- less peripheral vision

So it depends on what you like and have

Since Riley is a pro style guy, expect it to be UC

What most guys run off of that fly action:

IZ, Waggle Play Action pass (boot away from motion) and weakside speed option

Rileys teams have shied away from the weakside speed option- so who knows

LOts more options out of Gun, but my guess is we don't see it

He "doesn't want the QBs to be RBs" which means no QB inverted veer "options" or powers, counters- keeps which were all great plays Beck had but abandon due to QB injury concerns. He wont have any problem running all of that with the 3 QBs he has at OSU. The QB counter off of jet was probably Becks highest ypc plays while at NU- only ran a handful of times.

• Fire 2

Most of the national experts feel FLY is much more effective UC

I prefer it in Gun, the timing is easier and it doesn't have to be perfect to be effective

Peripheral vision out of gun is much easier- can call for the snap if the jet back is coming too fast

UC is pretty scary for the QB- no room for error on the mesh- less peripheral vision

So it depends on what you like and have

Since Riley is a pro style guy, expect it to be UC

What most guys run off of that fly action:

IZ, Waggle Play Action pass (boot away from motion) and weakside speed option

Rileys teams have shied away from the weakside speed option- so who knows

LOts more options out of Gun, but my guess is we don't see it

He "doesn't want the QBs to be RBs" which means no QB inverted veer "options" or powers, counters- keeps which were all great plays Beck had but abandon due to QB injury concerns. He wont have any problem running all of that with the 3 QBs he has at OSU. The QB counter off of jet was probably Becks highest ypc plays while at NU- only ran a handful of times.

What coaching tree do you come from?

• Fire 1

Good question

Ive never run/coached the true pro style offense as defined by guys who have coached it in real life.

However I do understand it quite well. I was more or less tutored by one of the top guys nationally that run it/teach it.

If I did run it, I would run what most experts call the "East Coast" less popular flavor- Gibbs approach with Zone, Power and Counter Trey along with all the traditional pro pass concepts from UC. Of course it would depend on what I had for talent. Im not a square peg into round hole guy.

If I was coaching College ball I would fall in the Malzahn camp, Wing T principles out of Shotgun many times Spread- the guy is a genius. Simplicity, putting defenses into conflict, series based football- handful of plays with adjustments, maximizing the equation. He plays defenses against themselves, great playcaller, great scheme.

I also like Urban Meyer, a Single Wing coach per his book "Urbans Way" who adapts to his talent base. He changes a bit every year based on what he has for talent. Excels at doing the ordinary extraordinarily well. Amazing coach- watch what he can do this year without worrying about QB injuries, (something that DRAMATICALLY changed what Becks offense looked like) Meyers offense this year will look a lot like what he ran earlier- at OSU or at Bowling Green, will be fun to watch.

The goal is to win the game, end of story. You have an approach/philosophy and adapt those concepts- what you know and what you and your coaching staff CAN coach - to the equation you are given. Adapt to what your players CAN do and who you play- what your conference, opponents can consistently do.

Guys like Meyer and Malzahn do that and consistently win, no matter where they are at, they are the elite in coaching today. How they teach and how they practice is even more important than their scheme.

Personally Ive Coached the Veer, Osborne Flavor I, Spread, Double Wing, Wing T concepts and lots of Spread Jet stuff. Happy to talk real xs and os with anyone honest/open minded.

• Fire 2

I can assure you I have coached football for over 25 years very successfully both as a head and asst coach. Understand that you aren't always allowed to run what you want and sometimes even what you prefer to run isn't the right fit for the situation you are in. No one coaches in a vacuum.

When you coach for an extended period of time you gain knowledge of the offenses you teach and the offenses you play against. When you attend clinics, read books, DVDs, work with other coaches and study the endeavor as a profession, you tend to get exposure to a wide gamut of approaches to coaching the game. It really isn't as simple as many make it out to be, if it was simple they wouldn't pay some guys $6,000,000 to coach it.

You can also implement a variety of principles into your existing attack which could include veer, Wing T, zone and even spread. Depending on where you coach, you have to adapt to the talent and opposition, especially if you are in a situation with low numbers or a rebuild/turnaround. Even guys like Petito at MN have evolved a bit over time. So did Osborne, he went from unbalanced T with Devaney to a Pro I with spread principles, to an I option attack with lots of zone principles with Tenopir. TO even ran some 1 back stuff and went to a more QB centric running game with Frost at the helm late in his career. His double slant that was caught by Davison in the Mizzou game is a classic spread concept. His empty QB trap using Tommie wasn't in his 80s or 70s playbook, or his split flow power runs with Frost, TO said if he was coaching today he would probably be a Spread Option guy- closer to what Oregon runs. Ive met him private consultation and done some football work for him. But this isn't about what Ive run- I have a core set of principles that have guided every team Ive called plays for during the last 15+ years. This isn't about what offenses Ive run, it's about the x and o content in the posts.

If you would like to talk real Xs and Os, go right ahead would be happy to discuss, no need for the personal attack. If you've found something technically Ive gotten wrong on any of my posts, feel free to point it judge it, criticize it- please point it out right now, would be happy to discuss. . If people want to understand what is really happening out there or even some true answers to some very simple things like "What is a Pro Style Offense?" I would have thought they would want to know. When I hear Sipple and Peterson getting it wrong on the radio when 95% of HS coaches know what it means and the fans hearing stuff from guys who don't know what they are talking about and restating it as fact- when it isn't, thought I might like to know, real basic stuff Same for need for Zone backs etc- this is something that all College and most High School guys would know, 100% of the guys who have coached zone. Some of the TV guys are awful- they don't know a jet sweep from an end around and any QB/RB mesh is a zone read- both definitions are usually wrong, so the fans don't learn- which is fine for most. What they like to show are the cheerleaders shaking their pom poms and personal interest stories. Thought people may want to know what's really happening. Why I love listening to Damon Benning during broadcasts. But I guess if it's more a rumor mill fan site- then not the place for me. Some of the football stuff I hear our fans say up in the stands is just ridiculous, so off base from what is really happening- real eye rollers. Its pure entertainment for most- that;s the deal.

• Fire 2