Bleacher Report: Five things standing in the way of a Nebraska Conference Title

I think he was talking about Gangwish HuskernationNick. Not Tommy Armstrong. Theres another thread that had started out as praise for Gangwish's commitment and hard work to reach the level he has attained yet somehow turned into a few Huskerboard members stating that Gangwish didn't belong on the field or was a "red flag" of a lack of talent at the position since he was named starter.

Lol I had no idea we were even talking about Gangwish on this, I saw him mentioned one time. I am not sure how anyone on this board can say who does or doesn't deserve to be on the field. He made a few big plays last year and I see no reason why he can't do the same this year, plus more with VV and Collins creating opportunities for the LBers/DE's. Kid fought his way from being a walkon to a scholly player, he deserves to play and start if that is what the staff thinks.

• Fire 2

I think he was talking about Gangwish HuskernationNick. Not Tommy Armstrong. Theres another thread that had started out as praise for Gangwish's commitment and hard work to reach the level he has attained yet somehow turned into a few Huskerboard members stating that Gangwish didn't belong on the field or was a "red flag" of a lack of talent at the position since he was named starter.

Lol I had no idea we were even talking about Gangwish on this, I saw him mentioned one time. I am not sure how anyone on this board can say who does or doesn't deserve to be on the field. He made a few big plays last year and I see no reason why he can't do the same this year, plus more with VV and Collins creating opportunities for the LBers/DE's. Kid fought his way from being a walkon to a scholly player, he deserves to play and start if that is what the staff thinks.

Excellent take on the situation. That's what i thought too.

• Fire 2

I love drinking kool aid, but I can't ignore my concerns regarding TA. Yes, he has a lot of good attributes (long ball, leadership, toughness), but to me a QB needs to implement consistently what the coaches design. If Darlington get playing time, then the kool aid will start flowing.

On talent and comparisons to OSU: I think the huskers have very good talent, and that people underestimate the amount of talent greatly. Very few teams have the talent NU has (except for OSU, Miami, and UM (maybe)). Do people really think Wisconsin, Minnesota, northwestern has talent even close to our own? I dont see rosters with players like NU has very often. Think about the RBs, wideouts, linemen, secondary, etc. we now have and compared it to teams we face. I have alway thought Bo does a good job with talent evaluation and development.

Yes, OSU has A LOT of talent and good coaching, but every team is beatable. Thing change year to year, and each year a teams personnel and personality are different from the last. Does that mean I think OSU won't win the conference? No, they should. But people shouldn't put it in stone. Every year the top ten or even twenty five changed dramatically. Teams that win it all, or are in the top 5, come together and grow throughout the season. There is something special to their years. Think about the perception of OSU last year (and the big 10 in general) and then look at the end results. No one would have predicted a third string QB would beat Alabama and Oregon last year. Yet it happened.

My last point is that one of the most important points that hasn't been mentioned(in this thread) is how big coaching changes throughout the conference will effect things. Those changes more then anything else will effect the "order" of the conference.

I love drinking kool aid, but I can't ignore my concerns regarding TA. Yes, he has a lot of good attributes (long ball, leadership, toughness), but to me a QB needs to implement consistently what the coaches design. If Darlington get playing time, then the kool aid will start flowing.

On talent and comparisons to OSU: I think the huskers have very good talent, and that people underestimate the amount of talent greatly. Very few teams have the talent NU has (except for OSU, Miami, and UM (maybe)). Do people really think Wisconsin, Minnesota, northwestern has talent even close to our own? I dont see rosters with players like NU has very often. Think about the RBs, wideouts, linemen, secondary, etc. we now have and compared it to teams we face. I have alway thought Bo does a good job with talent evaluation and development.

Yes, OSU has A LOT of talent and good coaching, but every team is beatable. Thing change year to year, and each year a teams personnel and personality are different from the last. Does that mean I think OSU won't win the conference? No, they should. But people shouldn't put it in stone. Every year the top ten or even twenty five changed dramatically. Teams that win it all, or are in the top 5, come together and grow throughout the season. There is something special to their years. Think about the perception of OSU last year (and the big 10 in general) and then look at the end results. No one would have predicted a third string QB would beat Alabama and Oregon last year. Yet it happened.

My last point is that one of the most important points that hasn't been mentioned(in this thread) is how big coaching changes throughout the conference will effect things. Those changes more then anything else will effect the "order" of the conference.

I don't think anyone is underestimating the talent here, its more that we know that tOSU is far more talented than we are. I'd rank us at #3 behind tOSU (way ahead of everyone), and Wisconsin.

Just to let you know, I won $200 for predicting it being Oregon/tOSU, and another $300 for calling tOSU the winner lol. Not a betting guy, but I didn't see anyone stopping Cardale Jones. That kid is just raw!

Yes, Nick I was talking about Gangwish. I must admit I have many concerns about our QB situation to.

We have a long run of less than what we want, but most on here kept drinking the Koolaid for all the Pelini run. I never did. But I am going to give Coach Riley every opportunity to make it flow. I like the guy, I have followed him a little bit living out here. He reminds me of Coach Osborne. I hope we all give him the chance to right the ship. I think it is going to be a couple of years before that happens, but who knows. Kids feeling more secure, no supposed dog house and an opportunity to start over has to put a smile on most of their faces. It sure appeared that way at the Spring Game.

We are not beating Ohio State any time soon. Realize that now and the season will be a lot more fun. Wisconsin is going to be tough to get by in our division and Iowa plays us tough. I hope we maintain the 9 win level, but will not see the world ending if we don't. But the key for me, is that I see a chance of the team being better, I never saw that after the first two years during the past nightmare. When there was light at the end of a tunnel, it was normally a red clad monster grinding us into the ground. I think we have the coaches on board that will figure out how to stop a jet sweep.

Go Big Red!

Yes, Nick I was talking about Gangwish. I must admit I have many concerns about our QB situation to.

We have a long run of less than what we want, but most on here kept drinking the Koolaid for all the Pelini run. I never did. But I am going to give Coach Riley every opportunity to make it flow. I like the guy, I have followed him a little bit living out here. He reminds me of Coach Osborne. I hope we all give him the chance to right the ship. I think it is going to be a couple of years before that happens, but who knows. Kids feeling more secure, no supposed dog house and an opportunity to start over has to put a smile on most of their faces. It sure appeared that way at the Spring Game.

We are not beating Ohio State any time soon. Realize that now and the season will be a lot more fun. Wisconsin is going to be tough to get by in our division and Iowa plays us tough. I hope we maintain the 9 win level, but will not see the world ending if we don't. But the key for me, is that I see a chance of the team being better, I never saw that after the first two years during the past nightmare. When there was light at the end of a tunnel, it was normally a red clad monster grinding us into the ground. I think we have the coaches on board that will figure out how to stop a jet sweep.

Go Big Red!

Virginia tech beat Ohio state

Go Big Red!

The rematch this year in week 1 is going to be very, very ugly.

Go Big Red!

Look at the circumstance.

NU I think is 3 seasons away unless Darlington becomes QB sooner. For all of TA's good points in leadership, work ethic, he just doesn't seem to have the 'it' factor we need at QB. I say 3 seasons for MR to get his type of QB here. While we will lose VV and Collins by then, the Davis Twins will be ready to step in. If we see vast improvement at QB in season 2 (JR College or 5th year senior transfer, or improved Darlington, or a hot shot freshman or red-shirt fresh - think FSU or Texas A&M) and VV, Collins and Gerry are still on D - then I think we can look at challenging OSU in the conf game. OSU is better primarily because of QB play. I'm not saying they don't have overall more talent but we have enough good talent on the starting 22 to compete with them. DPE will be a game changer who can equalize the talent situation.

Numbers 1 and 2 seem to indicate that the new staff will be no better than the old staff when it comes to QB play and putting a disciplined team on the field, in other words BO's staff had the same acumen for coaching up QB's and instilling discipline as the new staff, I find this idea laughable. #3 Place kicker, I think this is only a big deal if your kicker sucks, Drew is solid and I seem him as a neutral and certainly not a top five problem. #4, Wisconsin, in other words one other solid team needs to be beat to get to the championship game, nice observation from captain obvious. and #5 you need to beat Ohio State, last years National Champion, if you want to win the big 10 (Does this come with a partner article on why winning the big 10 will be tougher than winning the SEC).