Maliek Collins Projected 2016 First-Round Pick by Todd McShay

• 4 weeks later...

I think he's more likely a second rounder at the moment - especially with good depth at that position.

But I think he can make a move at the combine. If he tests well - which I think he will - he can move up.

I agree and his (Collins') situation reminds me of Fabian Washington who was projected to be a late 2nd to early 3rd round guy back in 2005. He didn't have out of this world stats but good stats in his final year at Nebraska nonetheless. His stock rose dramatically with a speedy 4.29 40 yard dash time and impressive results at the NFL Combine and ended up getting drafted 23rd overall in the first round. Collins is gifted athletically and I think he has a serious shot at improving his draft stock.

• 2 weeks later...

Ok, I've been out of the loop for awhile. Is it official that MC and VV are declaring for the draft or coming back next year? What's the scoop? If they both leave, we are pretty screwed on D for next year, as far as I can tell.

Last time I looked, MC was 2nd to 3rd round and VV 6th round or so. I say they should both come back--especially VV--and get better at their craft and try and win the division at least, but hey, I'm old school.

Ok, I've been out of the loop for awhile. Is it official that MC and VV are declaring for the draft or coming back next year? What's the scoop? If they both leave, we are pretty screwed on D for next year, as far as I can tell.

Last time I looked, MC was 2nd to 3rd round and VV 6th round or so. I say they should both come back--especially VV--and get better at their craft and try and win the division at least, but hey, I'm old school.

They gone!!

They gone!!

Wow, this makes me VERY sad, we are pretty screwed on D for next year, unless I'm missing something. I figured we could contend for the division, but now all bets are off. SUCKS!

• 2 weeks later...

Collins said it wasn't easy to announce he was leaving early in the locker room at the bowl game, but "I didn't see anyone too mad about it."

I should hope not. They're gonna be upset to see him go, but he's got a solid chance of making it in the NFL, and I doubt there's anyone in that locker room who didn't have the same dream. I'm sure they wanted him back on the team next year (like all the fans), but you gotta wish the guy well when he's got a chance like that.

I hope he tears up the Combine. I'm looking forward to good things.

• Fire 1

According to ESPN NFL Draft analyst Mel Kiper, former Nebraska defensive tackle Maliek Collins has some work to do at this week's NFL Combine if he wants to be a first-round pick in the 2016 NFL Draft.

Collins, who opted to enter the draft after three seasons at NU, didn't have the week-to-week production this season of a first-round draft pick, Kiper said, so he'll have to go to the Combine and present himself as a “freak athlete” to potentially cement getting picked in the first round. Otherwise, he could drop to the second or even the third round.
“He needs to show he's a first-round caliber talent,” Kiper said on a conference call.

OWH

• 1 month later...