Riley: Installing His Culture

Nebraska coach Mike Riley said he’s still in the process of instilling a program-wide culture, what he described as yet another essential step in a transition that’s been relatively seamless so far.

There will be a time when Riley can sit back and watch veterans do all the work, shaping and molding the younger players with the very same philosophies that he and his staff want the program to be defined by.
But he’s only been on the job for six months.
“You have to have the values established so people can identify — that’s us, that’s what we do,” Riley said Thursday night. “There are some things that have to be a part of the fiber of the program for it to be good.”

OWH

• Fire 2

Riley can't get the "us against the world" culture out fast enough.

Ugh, no kidding.

I haven't read the article, but another aspect I heard being discussed on the radio was getting the kids to take some ownership in this team. It kind of ties in to that little tidbit quoted above. These guys need to take control of this team and hold each other accountable. Accountability has been a glaring weakness in recent history and it was obvious why. When the head coach doesn't take responsibility, why would the kid he coaches? Anyways, with that ownership, I'd like to see some damn players get a bit morre vocal and not be afraid to speak up when needed. In the past we've always heard about "leading by example" which is great, but it's not everything. That kind of leader isn't the "whole package". The reason why is that when you lead by example, you don't always have everyone's attention. Not everyone is looking at you. If they're not looking at you or watching what you're doing, then it's kind of hard to be an example. Someone needs to get the attention of their unit. They need to demand it. Speak up and jump a guys ass when he's not pulling his weight out there, that's what I'd like to see.

I'd really like his culture to be one of gentlemanly conduct off the field and "just within the allowed limits of nasty aggression, with a big dose of 'I got your back, you get mine' teamwork" on the field.

Theres so much that goes into that mentality, but I agree with what you're getting at.

You know where it all starts?

R-E-S-P-E-C-T.

Respect for the past.

Respect for the future.

Most of all, Respect for one another. These guys don't have to love each other but they've got to respect each other enough to give their all. Not just in the games on Saturday's, but right now. In the weight room, in practice, in individual drills........

Nothing is going to be handed to these guys. Hell, the media doesn't even handout the respect they used to give this program. It's got to be rebuilt and rebuilding has to start somewhere. Who wouldn't want to strap on that helmet with the "N" on the side and be part of that team that began the rebuild? Hell, I'd want to. Is it worth the hard work for these guys to be able to say that they brought this thing back to the level it belongs? Do they respect the former players, their teammates and the future of this program enough that they are willing to commit to that level of effort?

Good luck boys. There's nothing easy about it.

I'd really like his culture to be one of gentlemanly conduct off the field and "just within the allowed limits of nasty aggression, with a big dose of 'I got your back, you get mine' teamwork" on the field.

Theres so much that goes into that mentality, but I agree with what you're getting at.

You know where it all starts?

R-E-S-P-E-C-T.

Respect for the past.

Respect for the future.

Most of all, Respect for one another. These guys don't have to love each other but they've got to respect each other enough to give their all. Not just in the games on Saturday's, but right now. In the weight room, in practice, in individual drills........

Nothing is going to be handed to these guys. Hell, the media doesn't even handout the respect they used to give this program. It's got to be rebuilt and rebuilding has to start somewhere. Who wouldn't want to strap on that helmet with the "N" on the side and be part of that team that began the rebuild? Hell, I'd want to. Is it worth the hard work for these guys to be able to say that they brought this thing back to the level it belongs? Do they respect the former players, their teammates and the future of this program enough that they are willing to commit to that level of effort?

Good luck boys. There's nothing easy about it.

Well said.

• Fire 1

We developed a culture of losing. A culture of accepting failing. A culture of "us against them". A culture of mediocrity. A culture of quitting.

The fact that no one has planned to transfer speaks volumes IMO. Usually a coaching change brings transfers. A new year, new schemes, staff etc... And it hasn't happened.

Riley has started to change the culture where it counts. With the team first. It appears (outside looking in) that the kids are buying what they are selling. Now I have no idea what it is, but its working. No spring break coach speak, no players saying how great they will be. It appears that the coaches are also selling accountability to the kids. The one on one meetings, asking the players what position they want to play, stressing the "fitting to the players" etc.....Quiet professionals. I like it.

We developed a culture of losing. A culture of accepting failing. A culture of "us against them". A culture of mediocrity. A culture of quitting.

The fact that no one has planned to transfer speaks volumes IMO. Usually a coaching change brings transfers. A new year, new schemes, staff etc... And it hasn't happened.

Riley has started to change the culture where it counts. With the team first. It appears (outside looking in) that the kids are buying what they are selling. Now I have no idea what it is, but its working. No spring break coach speak, no players saying how great they will be. It appears that the coaches are also selling accountability to the kids. The one on one meetings, asking the players what position they want to play, stressing the "fitting to the players" etc.....Quiet professionals. I like it.

No to the bold. I shouldn't have to give examples of games where the players never quit. That's a knock on the many of the guys on this team now even if you're directing it towards Bo. Then again, maybe you are directing it at the players.

No to the bold. I shouldn't have to give examples of games where the players never quit. That's a knock on the many of the guys on this team now even if you're directing it towards Bo. Then again, maybe you are directing it at the players.

The bolded is at the staff (and at times the players). In talking about Riley and a culture change, its what he is having to overcome IMO. The nut kick moment when "here we go again" kicks in. Saw it against Wisky this year. Unsure if my terminology specifically and accurately described that culture. One could say a culture of being a mentaly weak team (maybe a reason they are getting a Psych on board). Maybe a culture of no accountability i.e. player misses a tackle and the team acts as though nothing is going on. A culture in which TA (before last season) said he was tired of seeing guys joking around on the sideline when we were losing or not staying focused. Maybe a culture of "checking out", "accepting defeat" etc..... NU teams of old lost games, but were never beaten. We have flat out been beaten the past few years. Mentally and physically.

A culture where 9 wins (losing, failing against equal to better competition) is the benchmark........

• Fire 1