Editorial: "The Disappearing Act of Husker Football Tradition"

I think you guys are ignoring the facts by under-valuing the walk on tradition here. It isn't all people hold onto anymore, but it is important and even vital to the Husker tradition. Not just in the blue collar work mentality they bring or the overall appreciaton and respect they have for the opportunity to wear the N, which can be contagious. But these guys have played quite a bit over time and some have become starters or major contributors at their spot. Not just in history, but many of you are saying there's been little effect from the walk-on program recently, but that's simply not the case.

Sam Foltz- starting punter and a damn good one at that

Ryker Fyfe-backup QB for the Huskers just last season

Andy Janovich-starting FB, though limited in duties in the offense, still....starting FB

Brandon Reilly - contributes regularly at WR, expected to have a very solid season

Dylan Utter- contributes on the offensive line and may play this year?

Sam Burtch - if not for being injured last year, would've played often and I expect him to contribute a lot this year

Jack Gangwish- starting DE

That's 7 guys right there who are or were walk-ons coming into this program. Pretty impressive really. When you consider the limited number of guys that actually play or start for a football team, I'd say 7 players being walk ons is a respectable number.

Isn't that the problem? That Bo recruited so poorly, he actually had to play 7 guys that weren't even recruited for scholarship at NEB.

No. The Preferred Walk-on Program is an extension of recruiting at Nebraska. Riley said they have something like 150 players during spring practice and expect over 200+ come the fall. Only 85 of those players are on scholarship (well, 88 right now). If 7 of about 120 or so players (about 6%) break into the two deep, that does not speak against the recruiting prowess of the coaches, otherwise, you would have to talk down Tom Osborne's recruiting given the amount of success the Walk-on program had in those days. Rather, it only speaks to the power of the Walk-on program.

If anyone doubts the value of the Walk-on Program, do yourself a favor and watch this 1-hr long documentary from netNebraska. Walk-on: Husker's Edge

Yes, of course EVERYTHING is working when you are winning National championships. If you are winning championships then obviously the guys playing should be playing and you have done things well.

If you are losing 4 games and 7 Walk ons have big roles, you probably did something wrong... Maybe recruiting!?

I don't think Bo has recruited poorly, so no I don't see that as any indictment of is recruiting. Our first few recruiting classes were pretty weak, but honestly I think this team is loaded with talent and has been for a couple years now.

Also, technically, 7 guys broke the two deep from a lot less than a pool of 120 players. Even less than the scholarship 85. Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but lets say 32 players contribute during any given game. 11 starters on offense, 11 starters on defense and maybe 10 guys that rotate in at any given position. Well those 7 guys I listed would be players that are included in that 32 (roughly.....I might be wrong it could be more) so you're actually talking about walk-ons making up nearly 22% of this teams active contributors right now.

Look at the numbers. Bo recruited well, but couldn't keep his recruits here!

I don't think Bo has recruited poorly, so no I don't see that as any indictment of is recruiting. Our first few recruiting classes were pretty weak, but honestly I think this team is loaded with talent and has been for a couple years now.

Also, technically, 7 guys broke the two deep from a lot less than a pool of 120 players. Even less than the scholarship 85. Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but lets say 32 players contribute during any given game. 11 starters on offense, 11 starters on defense and maybe 10 guys that rotate in at any given position. Well those 7 guys I listed would be players that are included in that 32 (roughly.....I might be wrong it could be more) so you're actually talking about walk-ons making up nearly 22% of this teams active contributors right now.

Now we're really wondering off the topic. I simply said I think we have plenty of talent on the roster and some walk on players are included in that talent. That's all.

Now we're really wondering off the topic. I simply said I think we have plenty of talent on the roster and some walk on players are included in that talent. That's all.

Fair. I want talented walk-ons that can contribute, don't get me wrong, it's a good thing. I just don't believe our walk-ons are that talented right now, considering they are playing roles and we are losing 4 games.

I think you guys are ignoring the facts by under-valuing the walk on tradition here. It isn't all people hold onto anymore, but it is important and even vital to the Husker tradition. Not just in the blue collar work mentality they bring or the overall appreciaton and respect they have for the opportunity to wear the N, which can be contagious. But these guys have played quite a bit over time and some have become starters or major contributors at their spot. Not just in history, but many of you are saying there's been little effect from the walk-on program recently, but that's simply not the case.

Andy Janovich-starting FB, though limited in duties in the offense, still....starting FB

Brandon Reilly - contributes regularly at WR, expected to have a very solid season

Sam Burtch - if not for being injured last year, would've played often and I expect him to contribute a lot this year

That's 7 guys right there who are or were walk-ons coming into this program. Pretty impressive really. When you consider the limited number of guys that actually play or start for a football team, I'd say 7 players being walk ons is a respectable number.

Isn't that the problem? That Bo recruited so poorly, he actually had to play 7 guys that weren't even recruited for scholarship at NEB.

No. The Preferred Walk-on Program is an extension of recruiting at Nebraska. Riley said they have something like 150 players during spring practice and expect over 200+ come the fall. Only 85 of those players are on scholarship (well, 88 right now). If 7 of about 120 or so players (about 6%) break into the two deep, that does not speak against the recruiting prowess of the coaches, otherwise, you would have to talk down Tom Osborne's recruiting given the amount of success the Walk-on program had in those days. Rather, it only speaks to the power of the Walk-on program.

If anyone doubts the value of the Walk-on Program, do yourself a favor and watch this 1-hr long documentary from netNebraska. Walk-on: Husker's Edge

+1

IMHO the only thing overblown about the walk-on program is some people act like we have a ton of All-Americans hiding in the weeds in Nebraska.

IMO the only overblown thing is your exaggeration of what you claim people say about the walk on program and Nebraska kids.
Fans, over the last several years, have called for a stronger walk-on program and more attention to bringing in Nebraska kids. That's no exaggeration. It comes up on this board routinely and if you listen to any local sports talk-show in the state it comes up often. I merely pointed out that I think the success of former walk-ons had more to do with the scheme, approach and coaches we had more-so than the players we had in the state.

No. He quoted your exact words. You said "people act like we have a ton of All-Americans hiding in the weeds at Nebraska".

VA Husker fan called it an exaggeration. He's exactly right. Literally, nobody has ever said that.

If we're going to play this game and criticize "exact words", I said people 'act.' I never said people "say."

And if I really must refine it to "some people act" then fine... "some people act like we have a ton of All-Americans hiding in the weeds at Nebraska."

I still stand by that claim. Just the other day I was talking to a man at a work function who said, and I'm paraphrasing, if we had more Nebraska kids on the roster the team would be better. My statement may have been a bit hyperbolic, but, there are definitely people out there who act as if we have a ton of great talent just sitting in the wings.

We don't need All-American Nebraska kids to make the walk-on program valuable - the program is still valuable. The walk-on program is part of Husker tradition and you'll never hear me say it's a bad thing. And there are great players in Nebraska. But, my point still stands - the walk-on program, in my opinion, is only as successful as the coaching and structure you have in place.

Hey man, we agree the program is valuable. I'm the last guy you'll ever hear badmouth the walk on tradition. Matter of fact, I get pretty sick of the lack of respect for these players.

You're right though, the coaching and the way these kids are brought through the process is key. It appears Bo gave these kids opportunities once they were here. I would only say we missed out on getting a few guys here. It happens I guess. I don't know how much focus and energy was put into the process really.

I agree with a lot of things you say and I like the way you say things. I simpy notied that tidbit when you said it, VA ended up quoting the comment and saying you were exaggerating a bit and I felt the same way. I saw it as an opportunity for you to own it and move on. If you want to stand by what you said that's fine. We disagree and I think you were over-stating how people feel about it. We will just disagree, I'm fine with that.

Most people just want to see Nebraska kids who are worthy, stay in the state and get a chance with the Huskers. I don't think we're expecting too much. Theres been some good ones escape the state here recently. Not any All-Americans but Emanuel was Defensive Player of the Year in Divison II at NDSU, and he did get drafted in the NFL draft I believe. There's a few others too.

The good ones in this state should play for the Huskers, that's all.

There is zero downside to the walk-on program. It's all good.

If your boyfriend fails make the team, it has zero to do with the tradition itself.

I think that's about all there is to it.

Agreed. I think we all wish every player, especially the ones that work really hard and aren't on scholarship, could make the team. But, this is division one football. You've got to work for everything. Coaches won't make the correct decisions 100% of the time, but, chances are there's a logical reason her boyfriend hasn't been offered a scholarship. It just kind of is what it is.

When I started at the job I'm at now, I was only a temporary employee hired on for three months. I had no guarantee of future employement at the end of that time, so, I had to work really hard to try and get a full time spot. I was fortunate and got hired on full time, but, the company owed me absolutely nothing and made no guarantees. They could've told me no, even if I thought I worked very hard, and they could've told me no for any number of reasons. It would've sucked, but there would've been nothing to do. I kind of look at this the same way.

If your boyfriend fails make the team, it has zero to do with the tradition itself.

Agreed. I think we all wish every player, especially the ones that work really hard and aren't on scholarship, could make the team. But, this is division one football. You've got to work for everything. Coaches won't make the correct decisions 100% of the time, but, chances are there's a logical reason her boyfriend hasn't been offered a scholarship. It just kind of is what it is.

When I started at the job I'm at now, I was only a temporary employee hired on for three months. I had no guarantee of future employement at the end of that time, so, I had to work really hard to try and get a full time spot. I was fortunate and got hired on full time, but, the company owed me absolutely nothing and made no guarantees. They could've told me no, even if I thought I worked very hard, and they could've told me no for any number of reasons. It would've sucked, but there would've been nothing to do. I kind of look at this the same way.

Congrats on the job...

That's why I root for these kids a little bit more than maybe I do anybody else. Always been an underdog and I root for the underdog. You've got to believe that a walk-on who has somehow ended up on the field on Saturdays has taken the hard road to get there. Same as maybe you and your story about your job. So in that sense, there's a lot of pride for those guys who were able to overcome the odds. Especially when the kid is actually from Nebraska. Not to take away from any walk-on though, from Nebraska or otherwise, if they're out there on Saturdays it's because they wanted it. They put in the work to get noticed.

My whole life as a Husker fan i've always thought that was one of the best things about our program. That we understood not only the value of hard work, but the fact that pride and passion can bring out the best in some guys that may not have the talent that immediately jumps off the screen. Having some talent and a ton of heart can go further than having all the talent in the world and no pride or passion.

The past regime weren't terrible recruiters or coaches. They were average in those aspects. However roster management was the biggest flaw IMO

Horrible roster managment all around as far as developing depth and experience or utilizing talent. Their biggest issue was an unwllingness to change or adapt and a horrible defensive scheme. I don't give two sh#ts what anyone says. People used to argue with me up and down around here that it wasn't the scheme. The evidence has been shown, Bo's scheme can disappear and I hope to hell nothing like that ever comes near this program again.

• Fire 2

I wouldn't call it undervaluing the walk-ons, just being realistic.........and realizing that a walk-on not making the team is not a huge conspiracy to end all Husker tradition. Sorry, maybe Kearney or Omaha could use a good player like him?

That's why I root for these kids a little bit more than maybe I do anybody else. Always been an underdog and I root for the underdog. You've got to believe that a walk-on who has somehow ended up on the field on Saturdays has taken the hard road to get there. Same as maybe you and your story about your job. So in that sense, there's a lot of pride for those guys who were able to overcome the odds. Especially when the kid is actually from Nebraska. Not to take away from any walk-on though, from Nebraska or otherwise, if they're out there on Saturdays it's because they wanted it. They put in the work to get noticed.

My whole life as a Husker fan i've always thought that was one of the best things about our program. That we understood not only the value of hard work, but the fact that pride and passion can bring out the best in some guys that may not have the talent that immediately jumps off the screen. Having some talent and a ton of heart can go further than having all the talent in the world and no pride or passion.

I'm with you. Spencer Long is one of my most favorite recent players purely from the standpoint he was a former walk-on and then turned into the best offensive linemen we've had around here in awhile.

I just think everyone should keep in mind that our walk-on program is not really on the same level it used to be, and not because I think the talent here has really become bad, but because the variables have changed. We haven't had great coaches here since the late 90's and early 2000's and we haven't had a great structure in place to help players develop. I think the type of schemes we ran, in connection with the NCAA rules of the time, helped us better develop that talent.

Obviously, guys can still make it through (Spencer Long), but I just think the factors at play right now make it difficult for walk-ons to succeed at the same level they once could. But, again, I'm fully behind our walk-on program and really I just wish that we could get back developing and utilizing these players like we once could.

I wouldn't call it undervaluing the walk-ons, just being realistic.........and realizing that a walk-on not making the team is not a huge conspiracy to end all Husker tradition. Sorry, maybe Kearney or Omaha could use a good player like him?
Trev Alberts canceled UNO Football, and wrestling for that matter (ramble, ramble, ramble).