Editorial: "The Disappearing Act of Husker Football Tradition"

The walk-on program was successful because of the coaches, the S&C program and the type of schemes we ran. I also remember I asked Ron Brown a few years ago about the talent level in the state, and he thinks that it has dropped off in recent years.

IMHO the only thing overblown about the walk-on program is some people act like we have a ton of All-Americans hiding in the weeds in Nebraska. From my perspective, it's just not true. We had tenured, experienced coaches that really knew what they were doing under TO and a system that could utilize the talent pool available in Nebraska. I just don't think the university has that right now and hasn't since TO left.

Personally, I think the program we had is what made the walk-on system successful and not the other way around.

• Fire 2

Y

That list is missing a lot of players great players which is the amazing part.

Husker football or the true heart of the program wasn't even about the Tommie Frazier's or Mike Rozier's who played for us. The walk on program to me is what embodied the entire program. It was also an indicator to me anyway that Nebraska kids could and can flat out play football. The kids in Nebraska grew up idolizing the program. It meant something to them. Nebraska is a unique program in that it's walk on program to me anyway truly was an integral part of what made the program so successful to begin with. Saying that it is over blown is mind boggling.

The reason I say it's overblown is because it's really all that people are hanging onto now. For numerous reasons, it's been over 15 years since NU has last won a conference championship. The "Winning Tradition" that everyone loved in the Devaney/Osborne eras hasn't been there in recent history. So some fans who can't talk about NU winning championships have replaced that by hyping up a mythical walk-on program.

I don't think it's all that people are hanging onto, but it's something. Just look at that list. It's not just in-state players, but guys like IM Hipp, Jarvis Redwine, Jimmy WIlliams, Jared Tomich. And it doesn't include a lot of other starters and 2nd stringers. It gave us enormous depth, so that injuries and scholarship players that didn't pan out didn't leave us with gaping holes. It added to the competition at nearly every position that pushed everyone. Then there are the intangibles, like statewide pride.

It's been over 15 years since a conf championship. And how long has the walk-on program been diminished? Random coincidence, or ...?

You mention Hipp, Redwine, Williams (I don't include Tomich because he wasn't a true walk on, he was a Prop 48 guy who just paid his own way for year 1) and those guys were from the late 70s and early 80s. Other than a punter/kicker or fullback, NU hasn't had many walk-on guys who were stars at impact positions in the past 15 years.

The "diamonds in the rough" and late-bloomers are less frequent now-a-days because of better training and instruction of these kids at younger ages. Guys arrive at college in great athletic shape with strong technique so it's nearly impossible for a walk-on to develop to be better than a stud recruit. Also, the cost of college attendance has risen so significantly that in-state kids can't really afford to walk-on at NU to give it a shot. Instead, they are going to mid-majors or FCS teams.

There are numerous factors in why the walk-on program has "diminished" in the past 15 years. It's just that in my opinion, it's gets a little old when people bring up the walk-on program as a reason why NU hasn't been as successful in recent years.

IMO the walk-on program is not why NU was so successful in the 70's, 80's, and 90's and won 5 National Championships. Yes, the walk-on program was a good complement to recruiting great and talented players from all over the country, but the reason NU won those national and conference championships were great talent and coaching.

The theory is that the walk-on program helps with buy-in. We bring in scholarship athletes from around the country who are tops in their position, but for whom the mystique of Nebraska football is foreign. The walk-ons may have less talent, but no less heart, and they bust their ass every day to be able to play for the team they've loved as a kid. That attitude rubs off on the foreign guys, and they work even harder.

I have no reason to doubt this theory. We've had a long list of success stories from our walk-on program. This guy made a list. It's seven pages long:

From that site:

All Conference players who began their careers as walk-ons, there are at least this many that made second team or honorable mention.

Jim McFarland

Ed Periard

Steve Manstedt

Clete Pillen

I.M. Hipp

Dean Sukup

Kelly Saalfeld

Derrie Nelson

Jarvis Redwine

David Clark

Jeff Krejci

Ric Lindquist

Jimmy Williams

Tony Felici

Greg Orton

Scott Strassburger

Dale Klein

Brian Blankenship

Kevin Lightner

Tim Rother

Bob Sledge

Charles Fryar

Mike Stigge

Jim Scott

John Parrella

Ken Mehiln

Jared Tomich

Dan Hadenfeldt

Kyle Larsen

Sam Koch

Nebraska Walk-ons in the NFL (28) from 2009 NU Media Guide

Brian Blankenship

Stewart Bradley

Mitch Krenk

Bill Lafleur

Kyle Larson

Rodney Lewis

Allen Lyday

Joel Makovicka

Steve Manstedt

Jim McFarland

Keith Neubert

Derrie Nelson

Greg Orton

John Parrella

Jerrell Pippens

Jarvis Redwine

Tim Rother

Kelly Saalfeld

Mark Schellen

Josh Sewell

Scott Shanle

Anthony Steels

Shane Swanson

Jared Tomich

Adam Treu

Dennis Watkins

Jimmy Williams

Toby Williams

There are some pretty important names to Husker history on that list.

Were some of these guys walk-ons because they didn't qualify academically? IIRC, Tomich fits that bill. Partial qualifiers, Prop 48 and others may have forced players to walk-on in lieu of receiving scholarships.

Y

Husker football or the true heart of the program wasn't even about the Tommie Frazier's or Mike Rozier's who played for us. The walk on program to me is what embodied the entire program. It was also an indicator to me anyway that Nebraska kids could and can flat out play football. The kids in Nebraska grew up idolizing the program. It meant something to them. Nebraska is a unique program in that it's walk on program to me anyway truly was an integral part of what made the program so successful to begin with. Saying that it is over blown is mind boggling.

The reason I say it's overblown is because it's really all that people are hanging onto now. For numerous reasons, it's been over 15 years since NU has last won a conference championship. The "Winning Tradition" that everyone loved in the Devaney/Osborne eras hasn't been there in recent history. So some fans who can't talk about NU winning championships have replaced that by hyping up a mythical walk-on program.

I don't think it's all that people are hanging onto, but it's something. Just look at that list. It's not just in-state players, but guys like IM Hipp, Jarvis Redwine, Jimmy WIlliams, Jared Tomich. And it doesn't include a lot of other starters and 2nd stringers. It gave us enormous depth, so that injuries and scholarship players that didn't pan out didn't leave us with gaping holes. It added to the competition at nearly every position that pushed everyone. Then there are the intangibles, like statewide pride.

It's been over 15 years since a conf championship. And how long has the walk-on program been diminished? Random coincidence, or ...?

You mention Hipp, Redwine, Williams (I don't include Tomich because he wasn't a true walk on, he was a Prop 48 guy who just paid his own way for year 1) and those guys were from the late 70s and early 80s. Other than a punter/kicker or fullback, NU hasn't had many walk-on guys who were stars at impact positions in the past 15 years.

The "diamonds in the rough" and late-bloomers are less frequent now-a-days because of better training and instruction of these kids at younger ages. Guys arrive at college in great athletic shape with strong technique so it's nearly impossible for a walk-on to develop to be better than a stud recruit. Also, the cost of college attendance has risen so significantly that in-state kids can't really afford to walk-on at NU to give it a shot. Instead, they are going to mid-majors or FCS teams.

There are numerous factors in why the walk-on program has "diminished" in the past 15 years. It's just that in my opinion, it's gets a little old when people bring up the walk-on program as a reason why NU hasn't been as successful in recent years.

Beat me to it ;)

This is crazy. Riley clearly cares about the walk-on program and about making sure walk-ons feel like they are part of the team, too. This doesn't mean every walk-on is going to make the program every year.

I mean, it's not crazy. You understand where she's coming from. It is really too bad and I think we all appreciated Faulkenberry stepping in for the long snaps last year. With this kind of advance notice, and 2014 on his resume, hopefully he can find somewhere else to go to finish his career.

It appears a little suspect to me that the coaches would "cut" a 6,-3" 240lb walk-on player who was about to start his 3rd year on the team after playing in all 13 games last season in sole favor of a 175lb true freshman that hasn't even stepped on the practice field yet.

I think the "girlfriend" jumped the gun a bit and should have waited to rant until it was official what the landscape of ST was going to be moving forward into fall camp.

IMHO the only thing overblown about the walk-on program is some people act like we have a ton of All-Americans hiding in the weeds in Nebraska.

IMO the only overblown thing is your exaggeration of what you claim people say about the walk on program and Nebraska kids.

I'll withdraw Tomich. The list is still very strong. Very few in the last 15 years is pretty much the point.

Maybe it is a thing of the past for reasons stated. However, with scholarship reductions, there are still some good players not on schollies, and not all will go to D-1AA.

• Fire 1

It appears a little suspect to me that the coaches would "cut" a 6,-3" 240lb walk-on player who was about to start his 3rd year on the team after playing in all 13 games last season in sole favor of a 175lb true freshman that hasn't even stepped on the practice field yet.

I think the "girlfriend" jumped the gun a bit and should have waited to rant until it was official what the landscape of ST was going to be moving forward into fall camp.

Actually, this has been pretty widely reported. They literally told Faulkenberry that Ober has the job when he gets here so if he wanted to look into other options, he could do that.

As a general rule, that doesn't seem like a great way to handle things. At least make it appear that he had a shot to keep his job. But supposedly Faulkenberry's times are significantly slower than Ober's so it was obvious who was going to win. On one hand, it's good they let him know in time to look around. On the other, I can definitely see where it would make people mad. Pretty easy to argue that if Read is such a special teams guru he should be able to help Faulkenberry improve.

I hope that is one of the only times it happens because even if it's the best way, it sure doesn't look the best.

Actually, this has been pretty widely reported. They literally told Faulkenberry that Ober has the job when he gets here so if he wanted to look into other options, he could do that.

As a general rule, that doesn't seem like a great way to handle things. At least make it appear that he had a shot to keep his job. But supposedly Faulkenberry's times are significantly slower than Ober's so it was obvious who was going to win. On one hand, it's good they let him know in time to look around. On the other, I can definitely see where it would make people mad. Pretty easy to argue that if Read is such a special teams guru he should be able to help Faulkenberry improve.

I hope that is one of the only times it happens because even if it's the best way, it sure doesn't look the best.

I'm not indicating that Faulkenberry is better than Ober. I'm saying that it doesn't add up that a coach cuts the only player at his position in favor of someone that hasn't even registered for classes yet. I mean, lots can happen between now and fall. Ober could break his leg day one of camp, or hurt his back like Miller. And then you have no one as a back up because you pissed off the only other guy on the roster and chased him off. If Bruce Read actually handled it this way, I would question his judgment in handling personnel.

• Fire 1

I'm not indicating that Faulkenberry is better than Ober. I'm saying that it doesn't add up that a coach cuts the only player at his position in favor of someone that hasn't even registered for classes yet. I mean, lots can happen between now and fall. Ober could break his leg day one of camp, or hurt his back like Miller. And then you have no one as a back up because you pissed off the only other guy on the roster and chased him off. If Bruce Read actually handled it this way, I would question his judgment in handling personnel.

I agree and that's why I don't think it's the best look. But I read it from several media guys - Callahan, Clouse, etc. - before this article ever came out.

What???

• Fire 1

This may not be a popular opinion, but I think that the whole "Nebraska walk-on tradition" is over-blown. To me, it's a bunch of over-hyped nostalgia for the "good old days". IMO the walk-on program is not why NU was so successful in the 70's, 80's, and 90's and won 5 National Championships. Yes, the walk-on program was a good complement to recruiting great and talented players from all over the country, but the reason NU won those national and conference championships were great talent and coaching.

I worked with a guy who was a walk-on fullback during the 80s. He had a lot of horror stories about how crumby he was treated by the coaches. He was told point blank as a freshman he was only there to be a glorified tackling dummy - and they made good on their promise. It wasn't the participation trophy and juice box scenario Faulkenberry's gf thinks it was.

This may not be a popular opinion, but I think that the whole "Nebraska walk-on tradition" is over-blown. To me, it's a bunch of over-hyped nostalgia for the "good old days". IMO the walk-on program is not why NU was so successful in the 70's, 80's, and 90's and won 5 National Championships. Yes, the walk-on program was a good complement to recruiting great and talented players from all over the country, but the reason NU won those national and conference championships were great talent and coaching.

I worked with a guy who was a walk-on fullback during the 80s. He had a lot of horror stories about how crumby he was treated by the coaches. He was told point blank as a freshman he was only there to be a glorified tackling dummy - and they made good on their promise. It wasn't the participation trophy and juice box scenario Faulkenberry's gf thinks it was.

Sounds like 'Rudy' and doesn't sound too different from what I've heard from other guys, not just here but about other programs as well (I want to say Iowa State - do they have a walk-on program, or did they in the 1990s?). Teams need tackling dummies, and walk-ons fit the bill.

Some guys might prefer to be dicked around, I have to imagine at least as many would prefer to be told where they stand.

You're not going to please everyone either way.