Texas Cop, "Police Brutality", Black kids.

Pennsylvania vs. Mimms state we can order you out of the car on a traffic stop and it's considered reasonable. Now, if this individual is trying to say State Law is more restrictive than what the US Surpreme court decided in Pennsylvania vs. Mimms, that may be so. Or this individual needs to explain the situation more in depth rather than state, "The officer can't order her out of the car."

You've never worked in a jail, I have, I've seen people hang themselves with sheets and other items from a object shorter than them. It's as simple as cutting off the blood through the arteries in your neck, you pass out, and now your body weight does the rest. This story is a bullsh#t attempt to find another reason to hate on cops. Another family looking for money and refusing to take things for what they are.

The cop behaved terribly regardless of what happened afterwards. That's not bullsh#t.

It shouldn't just be death that makes us question things.

Maybe not, but to try and make it appear that law enforcement "targeted" her based on her opinions on social media is laughable at best. Which is EXACTLY what the media is trying to portray whether anyone agrees with that or not that's what they're doing and their game is growing old along with the "cops shoulda done this" from all the experts on the internet that have no idea.

This story is a bullsh#t attempt to find another reason to hate on cops.

Do you think the officer handled the traffic stop reasonably and lawfully?

Do you think her behavior helped the situation? I know where several of you stand with law enforcement so I'm not naive on what you're trying to do here.

• Fire 1

Do you think her behavior helped the situation? I know where several of you stand with law enforcement so I'm not naive on what you're trying to do here.

Maybe not, but do you think he handled the traffic stop reasonably and lawfully?

You've never worked in a jail, I have, I've seen people hang themselves with sheets and other items from a object shorter than them. It's as simple as cutting off the blood through the arteries in your neck, you pass out, and now your body weight does the rest. This story is a bullsh#t attempt to find another reason to hate on cops. Another family looking for money and refusing to take things for what they are.

I might be wrong about this, but my understanding is that there's not supposed to be anything in a jail cell that isn't bolted down, because of this exact reason.

Her behavior doesn't really matter, because it wasn't illegal, at least not until after the officer severely escalated the situation. She COULD have been more cooperative, but she has every right to be annoyed and to smoke a cigarette in he car, doesn't she? Isn't the number one priority of being a police officer to deescalate the situation? That's not her responsibility, it's his, or so I understand. That's why stuff like this is so scary to some of us, because it's not enough that people aren't breaking the law and are exercising their rights, but they're expected to be kind and reasonable and submissive as well?

I'm genuinely curious to your insight on the legality of the officer's actions, because what I've seen has said that he was in error by the book, and it's obvious that he wasn't acting the best way by general common sense.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/news/morning-mix/wp/2015/07/22/a-trooper-arrested-sandra-bland-after-she-refused-to-put-out-a-cigarette-was-it-legal/

No one is required by law to be happy about being pulled over and ticketed; that much is true.
But are you required to comply with every order given to you by a police officer?
“It’s not unusual for an officer to ask someone to put out their cigarette or hang up their phone, that sort of thing,” said attorney Margo Frasier, the police monitor for Austin, Texas. “The question becomes whether they can make you do it.”
Frasier, the former sheriff of Texas’s Travis County, added: “If you are in your own vehicle — assuming it’s a tobacco cigarette — and the officer asks you to put it out, I don’t know of any statute that would require you to do it.”
At that moment, when Bland refused to put out the cigarette, the interaction became a confrontation.
“It seems very clear that the escalation — that her refusal to do what he said — prompted him to order her out of the car,” said Michele Deitch, an attorney and a criminal justice lecturer at the University of Texas at Austin.
That’s when things get a little more complicated.
When it comes to a law enforcement officer ordering a person out of a vehicle during a traffic stop, courts have given the officers a lot of discretion “under the premise of officer safety,” Frasier said.
But in this instance, Frasier said, that would be a difficult case to make. “You want to give the benefit of the doubt to the officer,” she said of Encinia, “but I’m not sure, other than the fact that [bland] wouldn’t put out her cigarette, what would be perceived as a safety issue.”
Rebecca Robertson, legal policy director of ACLU of Texas, said officers have some latitude to ask people to stop certain activities if they interfere with their ability to carry out law enforcement duties. Upon review of the video, though, Robertson said she saw “nothing to suggest that this falls into this category.”

I don't think you do. I think you take everything said about specific incidents too personally, partially because you're a police officer. Questioning things when people are arrested and hurt or treated badly for no reason does not mean someone dislikes law enforcement.

Maybe not, but do you think he handled the traffic stop reasonably and lawfully?

Reasonably depends on a lot of different circumstances..............lawfully? Depends on what state law says in Texas. Surpreme court says that you can ask the driver of a vehicle to step out during a traffic stop for officer safety reasons. I personally don't do this while doing traffic stops, but then again I very rarely have had anyone become confrontational with me during a traffic stop and I've made A LOT of them. Appears to me that both parties are at fault on some level in this situation. I'm just simply sick of the reaching that's being done by the media and citizens in these types of situations. I approach my job in the way that just because I CAN do something doesn't mean I WILL do something. I err on the side of caution most of the time and make sure the situations I deal with are locked up so there's not arguing once the situation heads to court. That's the environment that I work in today though. Can he order her to put the cigarette out? Not unless he was arresting her at that point which he wasn't at that exact moment.

I don't think you do. I think you take everything said about specific incidents too personally, partially because you're a police officer. Questioning things when people are arrested and hurt or treated badly for no reason does not mean someone dislikes law enforcement.

Think what you want, I've seen several of these threads take a nose dive no matter how I've tried to explain things. Do I take it personally? Yes, I do, except in situations where it's clear that the officer screwed up and is completely at fault for what they've done, the shooting in the back incident comes to mind, I hope that guy fries. My problem is with a bunch of key board lawyers that search the internet and create bullsh#t articles that aren't true when they use places the wikipedia as their source of fact and then spread this drivel as fact throughout social media because I have to deal with that out on the street. Fortunately for you and others you don't, I chose that to an extent, but the environment as it is now is pegged all the way to "ridiculous" on the speedometer.

I might be wrong about this, but my understanding is that there's not supposed to be anything in a jail cell that isn't bolted down, because of this exact reason.

Her behavior doesn't really matter, because it wasn't illegal, at least not until after the officer severely escalated the situation. She COULD have been more cooperative, but she has every right to be annoyed and to smoke a cigarette in he car, doesn't she? Isn't the number one priority of being a police officer to deescalate the situation? That's not her responsibility, it's his, or so I understand. That's why stuff like this is so scary to some of us, because it's not enough that people aren't breaking the law and are exercising their rights, but they're expected to be kind and reasonable and submissive as well?

I'm genuinely curious to your insight on the legality of the officer's actions, because what I've seen has said that he was in error by the book, and it's obvious that he wasn't acting the best way by general common sense.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/news/morning-mix/wp/2015/07/22/a-trooper-arrested-sandra-bland-after-she-refused-to-put-out-a-cigarette-was-it-legal/

No one is required by law to be happy about being pulled over and ticketed; that much is true.
But are you required to comply with every order given to you by a police officer?
“It’s not unusual for an officer to ask someone to put out their cigarette or hang up their phone, that sort of thing,” said attorney Margo Frasier, the police monitor for Austin, Texas. “The question becomes whether they can make you do it.”
Frasier, the former sheriff of Texas’s Travis County, added: “If you are in your own vehicle — assuming it’s a tobacco cigarette — and the officer asks you to put it out, I don’t know of any statute that would require you to do it.”
At that moment, when Bland refused to put out the cigarette, the interaction became a confrontation.
“It seems very clear that the escalation — that her refusal to do what he said — prompted him to order her out of the car,” said Michele Deitch, an attorney and a criminal justice lecturer at the University of Texas at Austin.
That’s when things get a little more complicated.
When it comes to a law enforcement officer ordering a person out of a vehicle during a traffic stop, courts have given the officers a lot of discretion “under the premise of officer safety,” Frasier said.
But in this instance, Frasier said, that would be a difficult case to make. “You want to give the benefit of the doubt to the officer,” she said of Encinia, “but I’m not sure, other than the fact that [bland] wouldn’t put out her cigarette, what would be perceived as a safety issue.”
Rebecca Robertson, legal policy director of ACLU of Texas, said officers have some latitude to ask people to stop certain activities if they interfere with their ability to carry out law enforcement duties. Upon review of the video, though, Robertson said she saw “nothing to suggest that this falls into this category.”

There are limited items in jail cells, but still, there are other items in there, sheets is one example. Unless someone says at booking they are actively thinking of killing themselves they are typically put into general population or a holding cell pending classification of the prisoner. For instance, if you are suicidal, say you're suicidal, you may be placed into a padded room with only a hole in the floor to urinate/defecate in with a suicidal gown that will immediately rip apart should you try and hang yourself with it. Or you may be put into a restraint chair if you're "freaking out"

She still could've handled the situation better herself, not saying the officer couldn't have handled it different himself as well, then filed a complaint at a later date. We may be there to help de-escalate the situation, depending on the situation that may not be an option, but we aren't there to "kiss peoples asses" for lack of a better term. That sounds harsh, but we don't have to put up with people treating us like crap either. Whether people agree with that or not that's a general human being interaction rule, in my opinion. I don't fall under the "contempt of cop" mentality though either. I tend to start laughing at people if they start acting ridiculous and/or explain things in more detail to them to get them to realize how ridiculous they actually sound.

This is another example of on the side of the road isn't where to argue your case or complain about your treatment. You'll have your day in court of you can file a complaint and have the department look into it.

She still could've handled the situation better herself, not saying the officer couldn't have handled it different himself as well, then filed a complaint at a later date. We may be there to help de-escalate the situation, depending on the situation that may not be an option, but we aren't there to "kiss peoples asses" for lack of a better term. That sounds harsh, but we don't have to put up with people treating us like crap either. Whether people agree with that or not that's a general human being interaction rule, in my opinion. I don't fall under the "contempt of cop" mentality though either. I tend to start laughing at people if they start acting ridiculous and/or explain things in more detail to them to get them to realize how ridiculous they actually sound.

This is another example of on the side of the road isn't where to argue your case or complain about your treatment. You'll have your day in court of you can file a complaint and have the department look into it.

The thing is, she was barely even arguing. He asked her if she was annoyed, she said she was and why, he asked if she was done, and she said yes, I'm done. The entire situation seemed COMPLETELY fine until he asked her to step out of her car the second she said she wouldn't put out her cigarette, for no seemingly good or warranted reason (I think you would probably have to agree that it's a weak argument to say there was a reasonable 'officer safety' threat, he just seemed pissed).

They both could have handled the situation better, but the difference is that the police officer has to handle the situation better, and the civilian is within their rights not to. People should be respectful and cooperative, but they aren't obligated to be, and the lady was hardly treating this guy like crap. Seems to me she was pretty calmly sticking up for her rights.

My problem is you came out today saying this story seemed fishy which falls right into what the media and cop haters are trying to push. It makes it sound like an officer went in there, hanged her based on her social media opinions, and then made it look like a suicide.

• Fire 1

So ignore the media, and ignore the "cop haters." BRI, you know I'm not a cop hater, we've talked about my mom, and you know I'm not against the police.

This arrest was wrong. That officer should have just given her a ticket and moved on. She didn't need to be arrested.

I have no idea what you're talking about. You and I never discussed anything. I never said ignore anything, I'm also not going to second guess every video that comes out with the luxury of hindsight and time, which some folks forget that they have as we weren't there. I'm sure if you ask the officer, he may have done things differently at this point.

But that still doesn't explain why the media and the family are trying to slant this as a suspicious death when it appears it was clearly a suicide based on the medical examiners findings.

• Fire 1