***2018 Recruiting***

Not filling the class this year isn't an indictment.  Obviously in a transition year there is an exception.  But i will tell you that there isn't a team in the top 10 playing for national championships that are holding back scholarships.  They fill their class every year.  We have done the "save some for next year to have a big class" thing before and it has returned 0 championships of any kind.  Time to start thinking like the big boys think.

• Plus1 1

1 minute ago, Warrior10 said:

Sorry I edited my question while you were typing this. 

I totally agree with "reaching", hated it and have expressed that on the board. It plagued Bo terribly. Riley on the other hand would just continuously undersign and it had the same effect. 

I think this scenario is different, imo. We have major depth issues that still need address and have momentum going into the last month. Oppose to backpedaling like we often were under Bo and Riley. 

And also there is likely to be more attrition post-spring ball when older guys see where they are on the depth chart. 

I don't follow recruiting enough to name specific players, or to get to the exact number.  I understand the concern about undersigning, and I didn't like it when Bo and Riley did it.

I am just saying that I am not going to be all that concerned if Frost doesn't MAX OUT this year's class.  It has been shown that the 2nd and 3rd recruiting classes are more impactful than the 1st (transition) recruiting class.  The flame out factor, isn't usually on the coaches reaching for talent, it's mainly by guys signing to a school that they have been recruited for a few weeks.  Those guys may not understand what it's like going to Lincoln or going to school at Nebraska, so they eventually leave.

4 minutes ago, Warrior10 said:

Sorry I edited my question while you were typing this. 

I totally agree with "reaching", hated it and have expressed that on the board. It plagued Bo terribly. Riley on the other hand would just continuously undersign and it had the same effect. 

I think this scenario is different, imo. We have major depth issues that still need address and have momentum going into the last month. Oppose to backpedaling like we often were under Bo and Riley. 

And also there is likely to be more attrition post-spring ball when older guys see where they are on the depth chart. 

Bo "reached" not because he was trying to fill a class but because he didn't try hard enough and got left at the alter with days to go before signing day too many times

6 minutes ago, StPaulHusker said:

Not filling the class this year isn't an indictment.  Obviously in a transition year there is an exception.  But i will tell you that there isn't a team in the top 10 playing for national championships that are holding back scholarships.  They fill their class every year.  We have done the "save some for next year to have a big class" thing before and it has returned 0 championships of any kind.  Time to start thinking like the big boys think.

So, then why did you post "I don't care what they do as long as they don't undersign this year?'  I agree that for the 2019 class and beyond, Frost should be getting as close to the max scholarship number as possible, but this transition class is an exception.

4 minutes ago, ColoradoHusk said:

I don't follow recruiting enough to name specific players, or to get to the exact number.  I understand the concern about undersigning, and I didn't like it when Bo and Riley did it.

I am just saying that I am not going to be all that concerned if Frost doesn't MAX OUT this year's class.  It has been shown that the 2nd and 3rd recruiting classes are more impactful than the 1st (transition) recruiting class.  The flame out factor, isn't usually on the coaches reaching for talent, it's mainly by guys signing to a school that they have been recruited for a few weeks.  Those guys may not understand what it's like going to Lincoln or going to school at Nebraska, so they eventually leave.

Understandable. Counting the kids signed and the two committed we are at 80. Imo it appears we still need:

QB/Ath

WR

WR hybrid  (Miles Jones hopefully)

OT

DE

OLB

DB

DB

Filling those needs alone gets us to the oversigning max. That also doesn't factor in Dixon (ole miss transfer) that we won't tell no. Also doesn't factor in another RB, which the staff still appears to be chasing.

6 minutes ago, ColoradoHusk said:

So, then why did you post "I don't care what they do as long as they don't undersign this year?'  I agree that for the 2019 class and beyond, Frost should be getting as close to the max scholarship number as possible, but this transition class is an exception.

I still don't want them to undersign this year.  Doesn't mean I will hate the coaches if it happens.  I will say that Kirby Smart, Nick Saban, etc didn't undersign in their first years.  Some players panned out and some didn't.  And they cut bait when they didn't.  

5 minutes ago, Warrior10 said:

Understandable. Counting the kids signed and the two committed we are at 80. Imo it appears we still need:

QB/Ath

WR

WR hybrid  (Miles Jones hopefully)

OT

DE

OLB

DB

DB

Filling those needs alone gets us to the oversigning max. That also doesn't factor in Dixon (ole miss transfer) that we won't tell no. Also doesn't factor in another RB, which the staff still appears to be chasing.

Thanks for that breakdown.  Frost and the staff do appear to be aggressive in getting to the numbers at specific positions that they want, so they may end up filling up the class.  Next year's class will probably end up being a large class simply due to the attrition and transfers that we all expect.

4 minutes ago, ColoradoHusk said:

Thanks for that breakdown.  Frost and the staff do appear to be aggressive in getting to the numbers at specific positions that they want, so they may end up filling up the class.  Next year's class will probably end up being a large class simply due to the attrition and transfers that we all expect.

This has the current numbers I believe except for Gates leaving and the 2 not signed yet.  Shows us at 78

78-Gates+2 unsigned=79.  Plus we can go up to 88 as long as 3 are gone by fall (I think?)

http://dataomaha.com/documents/husker-scholarship-distribution

6 minutes ago, StPaulHusker said:

I still don't want them to undersign this year.  Doesn't mean I will hate the coaches if it happens.  I will say that Kirby Smart, Nick Saban, etc didn't undersign in their first years.  Some players panned out and some didn't.  And they cut bait when they didn't.  

That brings up 2 things.

1.  I think it's easier to recruit guys to a "south culture" like Georgia and Alabama where the kids who are being recruited won't be in for such a culture shock.  If a kid commits to Nebraska in the last few weeks of the cycle, they may not fully understand what they are committing to.

2.  It will be interested to see how Frost and the staff treat scholarship athletes who aren't producing as much as they want.  Will they start pushing players out of the program?

We currently have 14 commits.  Frost had said the number is 20.  With Lee and Gates gone, we could sign 23.  Getting Dixon as a transfer would obviously decrease that number.

I think we're looking for 1 QB, 1 RB, 1 WR, 1 OLs, 1 DL, 1 LB and 2 DBs.  Then possibly 1 TE, another OL and another DL depending on how the numbers work out - especially with Mapieu and Smith.  Jurgens may also end up at LB which might explain why we're still looking for TEs and help fill the numbers at LB.

Current Scholarships/Commits

QB - 2 - ADRIAN MARTINEZ, Matthew Tago, Jamarye Joiner, Cam Taylor
RB - 2 - JUCO GREG BELL, Javian Hawkins, Ta'zhawn Henry
WR - 4 - JUCO JARON WOODYARDJUSTIN McGRIFF, KATERIAN LeGRONE,  Dominick Watt, Geordon Porter, Chris Olave, Andre Hunt
TE - 1-2 - CAMERON JURGENS
OT - 1-2 - Hamilton Hall, Doug Johnson, Blake McDonald, Ryan Winkel
OG/C - 1-2 - WILL FARNIOK, Jarrett Bell

NT - 1-2 - MASRY MAPIEU, Michael Thompson
DE - 2 - TATE WILDEMAN, Daniel Carson
LB - 2-3 - DAVID ALSTON, JUCO WILL HONAS, Javontae Jean-Baptiste
CB - 1-2 - JUCO DEONTAI WILLIAMS, Braxton Clark, Kendrick Torain
S - 2-3 - CJ SMITH, Cam'ron Jones, Tyrese Ross, Nikko Hall

K - 1 - BARRET PICKERING

ATH - Miles Jones

• Plus1 2
1 minute ago, ColoradoHusk said:

That brings up 2 things.

1.  I think it's easier to recruit guys to a "south culture" like Georgia and Alabama where the kids who are being recruited won't be in for such a culture shock.  If a kid commits to Nebraska in the last few weeks of the cycle, they may not fully understand what they are committing to.

2.  It will be interested to see how Frost and the staff treat scholarship athletes who aren't producing as much as they want.  Will they start pushing players out of the program?

Northern coaches filled their classes too.

He better push players out.  There are already about 5 that shouldn't have scholarships as it is

• Plus1 1
10 minutes ago, ColoradoHusk said:

I agree. But ultimately I am on the no reach side. Sorry Boaz, King, Willis, Shuttles, etc. 

• Plus1 1
1 minute ago, Mavric said:

We currently have 14 commits.  Frost had said the number is 20.  With Lee and Gates gone, we could sign 23.  Getting Dixon as a transfer would obviously decrease that number.

I think we're looking for 1 QB, 1 RB, 1 WR, 1 OLs, 1 DL, 1 LB and 2 DBs.  Then possibly 1 TE, another OL and another DL depending on how the numbers work out - especially with Mapieu and Smith.  Jurgens may also end up at LB which might explain why we're still looking for TEs and help fill the numbers at LB.

Current Scholarships/Commits

QB - 2 - ADRIAN MARTINEZ, Matthew Tago, Jamarye Joiner, Cam Taylor
RB - 2 - JUCO GREG BELL, Javian Hawkins, Ta'zhawn Henry
WR - 4 - JUCO JARON WOODYARDJUSTIN McGRIFF, KATERIAN LeGRONE,  Dominick Watt, Geordon Porter, Chris Olave, Andre Hunt
TE - 1-2 - CAMERON JURGENS
OT - 1-2 - Hamilton Hall, Doug Johnson, Blake McDonald, Ryan Winkel
OG/C - 1-2 - WILL FARNIOK, Jarrett Bell

NT - 1-2 - MASRY MAPIEU, Michael Thompson
DE - 2 - TATE WILDEMAN, Daniel Carson
LB - 2-3 - DAVID ALSTON, JUCO WILL HONAS, Javontae Jean-Baptiste
CB - 1-2 - JUCO DEONTAI WILLIAMS, Braxton Clark, Kendrick Torain
S - 2-3 - CJ SMITH, Cam'ron Jones, Tyrese Ross, Nikko Hall

K - 1 - BARRET PICKERING

ATH - Miles Jones

We need those OT's and the NT worse than anything