***2018 Recruiting***

Something else to chew on for those that get too hung up on star rating. Take a gander at the 247 composite rankings for some current NFL stars.

Le-Veon Bell- could argue he is the best RB in NFL. 247 composite coming out of high school .80

Antonio Brown- could argue he is the best WR in NFL. 247 composite coming out of high school. Never received a rating- didnt bother to rate him.

Matt Ryan- Last years MVP. 247 composite coming out of high school .81. 

Aaron Rodgers. could argue he is tied with brady for NFL best. .86 as juco prospect because no one wanted him out of high school.

Kareem Hunt. .80 and the list goes on and on.

Edited by Huskers93-97

39 minutes ago, Huskers93-97 said:

Something else to chew on for those that get too hung up on star rating. Take a gander at the 247 composite rankings for some current NFL stars.

Le-Veon Bell- could argue he is the best RB in NFL. 247 composite coming out of high school .80

Antonio Brown- could argue he is the best WR in NFL. 247 composite coming out of high school. Never received a rating- didnt bother to rate him.

Aaron Rodgers. could argue he is tied with brady for NFL best. .86 as juco prospect because no one wanted him out of high school.

You do realize there are 1000s of more prospects ranked as 3* than 5* right?

Todd Gurley .96

Ezekiel Elliott .97

Julio Jones .99

Tyron Smith .98

Edited by Red Five
  • Plus1 4
46 minutes ago, Huskers93-97 said:

How many national championships did those guys win in college? 

• Plus1 3
1 hour ago, Nebfanatic said:

Didn't calculate Olave or Palmer and I just removed Montgomery and we are still easily top 30(based on last 5 years). I think we end up top 30. We are already sitting at 40 with 6-7 commits to go. 

Top 30 is doable. I meant to put "expected" in the previous post, not expect. I predicted 30-35 when coaches were hired, didn't expect them to land Martinez, Jones, Smith that late in the game. Bumps to Wildeman and others helped. 

1 hour ago, Huskers93-97 said:

I have never ever seen anyone claim that a lower rated player may rise up and be a stud.  However, I believe if you took the average rating out of HS for all the starters in the NFL, their rating would be much much higher than these players.

There will always be outliers that you can point to.  But, the odds of being successful if you recruit nothing but .800 players compared to recruiting .980 players....isn't comparable.

• Plus1 1

1 hour ago, Red Five said:

You do realize there are 1000s of more prospects ranked as 3* than 5* right?

Todd Gurley .96

Ezekiel Elliott .97

Julio Jones .99

Tyron Smith .98

Yes I am sure there are a lot of 5 star guys in the NFL. I never said a .80 guy is always better than a .98 guy. The point is to not over react if Frost offers a kid rated .81. So most of this board would say what the heck we offered a .80 guy- I guess Frost is just filling the class. 

My point is maybe he isnt. Maybe he sees the next Le'Veon Bell with a little weight room and development is my point. 1000's of 3 stars and how many of those are over looked. The goal is for Frost to be a guy who can recognize they are a 4 or 5* talent- they just didnt attend camps.

Edited by Huskers93-97
  • Plus1 1
55 minutes ago, Hedley Lamarr said:

How many national championships did those guys win in college? 

Not many kids win a national championship. 4 teams win a Natty in a typical kids college career cycle.

The "star" system over looks alot of kids. Why should we overlook them just because rivals says they are not as good because they didnt go to their camps.

Edited by Huskers93-97
  • Plus1 1
16 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

I have never ever seen anyone claim that a lower rated player may rise up and be a stud.  However, I believe if you took the average rating out of HS for all the starters in the NFL, their rating would be much much higher than these players.

There will always be outliers that you can point to.  But, the odds of being successful if you recruit nothing but .800 players compared to recruiting .980 players....isn't comparable.

I have seen countless times on this board people say once you get past like the top 100 players those recruiting services are really not scouting them that well. So how many guys out there should be a .98 they just dont attend camps?

Watch a little film of Snodgrass. That guy is a damn good football players. I dont know what he should be rated. But he does not even have a rating.

Edited by Huskers93-97

4 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

What does that have to do with my post?

But, the odds of being successful if you recruit nothing but .800 players

I agree you dont just recruit nothing but .80 players and I never insinuated that is a good idea. But I also dont discredit them that they are a bad "scholarship offer" or the staff is "reaching" and "filling the class with bodies" 

If he brings in 2-3 guys a class rated low- I trust he feels they will contribute and not just take up roster space.

Edited by Huskers93-97
2 minutes ago, Huskers93-97 said:

But, the odds of being successful if you recruit nothing but .800 players

I agree you dont just recruit nothing but .80 players and I never insinuated that is a good idea. But I also dont discredit them that they are a bad "scholarship offer" or the staff is "reaching" and "filling the class with bodies" 

Neither do I.

I always mark it up as..."the coach must see something nobody else sees".

But, I'm also not in the camp of fans who instantly go to....."Wow...this player is under rated."

Edited by BigRedBuster
1 minute ago, BigRedBuster said:

Neither do I.

I always mark it up as..."the coach must see something nobody else sees".

I never said that topic was directed at you. I posted my first comments because there was a discussion on here about hopefully frost doesnt just fill the class. I posted what I did to simply say if we sign a few low rated guys it doesnt mean he is just filling the class. He may see something rivals didnt. 

More than anything I trust Frost can mold the talent he sees on film into what he wants it to do. Milton was a .83 QB. That kid looks like Heisman Contender next year if frost stayed.

1 minute ago, Huskers93-97 said:

I never said that topic was directed at you. I posted my first comments because there was a discussion on here about hopefully frost doesnt just fill the class. I posted what I did to simply say if we sign a few low rated guys it doesnt mean he is just filling the class. He may see something rivals didnt. 

More than anything I trust Frost can mold the talent he sees on film into what he wants it to do. Milton was a .83 QB. That kid looks like Heisman Contender next year if frost stayed.

There is a difference when you get a commitment from a low rated kid in the summer or fall after fostering a good relationship and watching him play.....and offering and getting a commitment from a low rated player a couple days before signing day.

• Plus1 3
22 minutes ago, Huskers93-97 said:

Not many kids win a national championship. 4 teams win a Natty in a typical kids college career cycle.

The "star" system over looks alot of kids. Why should we overlook them just because rivals says they are not as good because they didnt go to their camps.

The point is that teams like Georgia, Clemson, Alabama, USC, Ohio State, and FSU regularly compete for national championships because they recruit at elite levels. The only consistent outlier might be Wisconsin. 

Arguing that coaches see something special on most 3 stars is reaching. Frost would take 5 star talent over a project 3 star more times than not. 

• Plus1 1