***2018 Recruiting***

51 minutes ago, Waldo said:

The point is that teams like Georgia, Clemson, Alabama, USC, Ohio State, and FSU regularly compete for national championships because they recruit at elite levels. The only consistent outlier might be Wisconsin. 

Arguing that coaches see something special on most 3 stars is reaching. Frost would take 5 star talent over a project 3 star more times than not. 

Exactly and if we want to pat ourselves on the back for turning 2 and 3 star talent into NFL players than we might as well root for Iowa as they do that but have zero hardware to show for it. 

• Plus1 1

56 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

There is a difference when you get a commitment from a low rated kid in the summer or fall after fostering a good relationship and watching him play.....and offering and getting a commitment from a low rated player a couple days before signing day.

There is soo much more to it as simple as you make it. When did they offer that low rated kid? Maybe they offered him a year prior and he just committed before signing day. 

Also lets not forget this is a transition year- so Frost is throwing out offers right now to kids he thinks are a talent fit or have potential to play at the P5 level. So some of these kids may not commit until now. Or in the next few weeks. Frost just started of course most of our commits are going to be late. 

4 minutes ago, Huskers93-97 said:

There is soo much more to it as simple as you make it. When did they offer that low rated kid? Maybe they offered him a year prior and he just committed before signing day. 

Also lets not forget this is a transition year- so Frost is throwing out offers right now to kids he thinks are a talent fit or have potential to play at the P5 level. So some of these kids may not commit until now. Or in the next few weeks. Frost just started of course most of our commits are going to be late. 

Since it probably would take a book of 500+ pages to fully explain the intricacies of recruiting, player evaluation and timing of the recruiting process.....I'll agree that it's much more to it than what any of us have said in this thread.

• Plus1 2
57 minutes ago, Waldo said:

The point is that teams like Georgia, Clemson, Alabama, USC, Ohio State, and FSU regularly compete for national championships because they recruit at elite levels. The only consistent outlier might be Wisconsin. 

Arguing that coaches see something special on most 3 stars is reaching. Frost would take 5 star talent over a project 3 star more times than not. 

Thanks for stating the obvious. You ALL are missing the point. Everyone is going after the 5 star kids- they are a more sure thing. BUT you cant fill your class with all 5 stars or all elite 4 stars. No one recruits at that high of a level. To have a good balanced team you are going to have lots of 3 star kids who contribute- my point is I think Frost is one of those elite coaches who have an eye for kids who fit their system and will produce at Elite levels. 

Some of you guys are taking this like an attack on rivals or 247 rating systems. Or that I am saying we need all 3 stars and who cares about 4 and 5 stars. That is exaggerating what I am saying. I am saying there is a percentage. 10% or 20% or whatever that number is that is going to be lower level 3 stars and as long as Frost is targeting the right ones which he obviously did at UCF then I think we are in good shape and dont need to freak out if he offers a .83 QB- cause he might just lead you to a 13-0 season. 

13 minutes ago, Huskers93-97 said:

Thanks for stating the obvious. You ALL are missing the point. Everyone is going after the 5 star kids- they are a more sure thing. BUT you cant fill your class with all 5 stars or all elite 4 stars. No one recruits at that high of a level. To have a good balanced team you are going to have lots of 3 star kids who contribute- my point is I think Frost is one of those elite coaches who have an eye for kids who fit their system and will produce at Elite levels. 

Some of you guys are taking this like an attack on rivals or 247 rating systems. Or that I am saying we need all 3 stars and who cares about 4 and 5 stars. That is exaggerating what I am saying. I am saying there is a percentage. 10% or 20% or whatever that number is that is going to be lower level 3 stars and as long as Frost is targeting the right ones which he obviously did at UCF then I think we are in good shape and dont need to freak out if he offers a .83 QB- cause he might just lead you to a 13-0 season. 

Considering frost and his team of three stars recently beat a team almost entirely compromised of 4 and 5 star players to finish undefeated should give even the most ardent rating defenders pause for thought. 

• Plus1 2

Can we just please agree that coaching matters more than star ratings on kids? 

Georgia, Alabama, Clemson, Ohio State. What do all those teams have in common? Elite coaching. Talent follows a winning culture. 

USC and FSU. Both have up and down years and never should. They are in top 10 classes like every year. 

Texas, Florida, Tennessee, LSU, Miami. Top recruiting classes year in and year out.

There may be a year or 2 where Frost takes lower rated guys coaches them up and wins anyway. The more winning that takes place the talent and star rating will go up too. Talent goes up, coaching remains elite. Then we ready to take on CFP.

5 minutes ago, husker98 said:

Considering frost and his team of three stars recently beat a team almost entirely compromised of 4 and 5 star players to finish undefeated should give even the most ardent rating defenders pause for thought. 

I think so anyway. 

How did coaches used to recruit in the old days without 247 or rivals telling them they have good players?

23 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

@Huskers93-97 you seem to be mostly arguing with thin air and thinking you are arguing with other posters.

Who here has said coaching isn't a major factor?

Who here has said that good talent doesn't follow good coaches?

Who here has said that no 3 star players ever become stars?

Who here has said 3 star players aren't going to come here and succeed?

This whole thing started with a few of you arguing with "thin air". I never said or insinuated we should recruit all 3 star players and who cares about 4 and 5 star players. But a few on here seemed to take it that way and were saying - you gotta do what georgia and alabama do if you wanna win games. I thought Frost came here to do it the old Nebraska way with a modern twist? We didnt used to do it like alabama and georgia and thats why we SUCK now because we tried to do it like everyone else. All the while Wisconsin said hey we will take your identity. We will take walk ons and some low rated guys and turn them into something- sprinkling in enough elite talent to have something. Do you think all those nebraska kids winning a title in 97 were all 4 or 5 stars?

The coaching note needed to be brought up because someone was using examples of elite schools and how good they are. So i noted those schools are good because of coaching and talent. Then used tennessee and texas as examples of schools that had bad coaching but elite talent and didnt win. 

Also some of this started because I made a simple post about how a few of the ELITE NFL players were low rated- not just elite but the best at their position in the league. To show how many guys fall through the cracks. So lets not discredit low rated guys- the system obviously overlooks alot of guys. If the system is soo good how the hell did possibly the top QB- aaron rodgers, RB- bell and WR brown be rated so low or not even get rated?

Just look at Houston defense alone. JJ Watt prob best DE in league .79/ clowney- average 1.0. 

Edited by Huskers93-97
49 minutes ago, husker98 said:

Because non P5 teams never lose to P5 teams. Anyone can find a game to fit their argument. Auburn had less to play for. Hate that argument, but some teams throw in the towel when a month ago they were playing for the playoffs. Let's just agree 80 percent of it is coaching, and 20 percent is getting talent into the program. I know I would rather have Texas' or USC's problems long term than UCF's.