***2018 Recruiting***

Word is there isn't anyone else from the current team leaving at this point so our signing number (I think) is set.  

We have 65 scholarship guys returning from last year plus the 12 we signed in December for 77.

We have 2 commits not signed and then we would have room for 9 more so a total of 11 more guys would be possible.  That will obviously depend on how things shake out with Mapieu and Smith.  And we might not get all the way to 23 either but I bet we get close.

• Plus1 2
9 minutes ago, Mavric said:

Word is there isn't anyone else from the current team leaving at this point so our signing number (I think) is set.  

We have 65 scholarship guys returning from last year plus the 12 we signed in December for 77.

We have 2 commits not signed and then we would have room for 9 more so a total of 11 more guys would be possible.  That will obviously depend on how things shake out with Mapieu and Smith.  And we might not get all the way to 23 either but I bet we get close.

That'd be 88, can't take that many if no one else from the current team leaves, so we'd need at least 3 more from the current team leaving before next fall.

Edited by RedDenver
8 minutes ago, RedDenver said:

That'd be 88, can't take that many if no one else from the current team leaves, so we'd need at least 3 more from the current team leaving before next fall.

Oversign by 3, makes up for recruits not making it to campus (Blades, Watt) and also post spring departures 

16 minutes ago, RedDenver said:

It would be shocking if we don't have more attrition after Spring. Guys get an idea of where they might be on the depth chart and start to look elsewhere. 

• Plus1 1
26 minutes ago, RedDenver said:

As has been noted by others, we can sign up to 88 as long as we're back down to 85 by June.  

2 minutes ago, FrankWheeler said:

Isn't Conrad the only walk-on under scholarship in 2018?  

Your right. I just looked it up and the other guys were seniors prior to 2017 season so they are all gone. Guessing he just used those scholarships up since he under recruited every year? Thanks again Mike.

Edited by Huskers93-97

We currently have 15 commits.  Frost had said the number is 20.  With Lee and Gates gone, we could sign 23.  Getting Dixon as a transfer would obviously decrease that number.

I think we're looking for 1 QB, 1 RB, 1 OL, 1 DL, 1 LB and 2 DBs.  Then possibly another WR, 1 TE, another OL and another DL depending on how the numbers work out - especially with Mapieu and Smith.  Jurgens may also end up at LB which might explain why we're still looking for TEs and help fill the numbers at LB.

Current Scholarships/Commits

QB - 2 - ADRIAN MARTINEZ, Matthew Tago, Jamarye Joiner, Cam Taylor
RB - 2 - JUCO GREG BELL, Javian Hawkins, Ta'zhawn Henry, Maurice Washington
WR - 4-5 - JUCO JARON WOODYARDJUSTIN McGRIFF, KATERIAN LeGRONE, JUCO MIKE WILLAIMS,  Dominick Watt, Andre Hunt
TE - 1-2 - CAMERON JURGENS
OT - 1-2 - Hamilton Hall, Doug Johnson, Blake McDonald
OG/C - 1-2 - WILL FARNIOK, Jarrett Bell, Tyrone Sampson

NT - 1-2 - MASRY MAPIEU
DE - 2 - TATE WILDEMAN, Daniel Carson
LB - 2-3 - DAVID ALSTON, JUCO WILL HONAS, Javontae Jean-Baptiste
CB - 1-2 - JUCO DEONTAI WILLIAMS, Braxton Clark, Taiyon Palmer, Kendrick Torain
S - 2-3 - CJ SMITH, Cam'ron Jones, Tyrese Ross

K - 1 - BARRET PICKERING

ATH - Miles Jones

Edited by Mavric
Updated
  • Plus1 3
15 hours ago, RedDenver said:

That's the entire point of my post. If we sign 88, then we aren't done with current players leaving.

If we over sign by three and Mapieu and Smith don't make it, we really only are long by one player.  Even in normal/good years, there's typically someone that falls off after Spring and into Summer.

That said, I'm sure Mav is right.  But, I thought we had to be down to 85 by the start of Practice in August....not June.