***2018 Recruiting***

Just now, BigRedBuster said:

If we over sign by three and Mapieu and Smith don't make it, we really only are long by one player.  Even in normal/good years, there's typically someone that falls off after Spring and into Summer.

That said, I'm sure Mav is right.  But, I thought we had to be down to 85 by the start of Practice in August....not June.

I suppose technically if guys didn't enroll it could be August.  But almost everyone shows up and enrolls in June so they can do summer training with the team.

1 hour ago, Mavric said:

We currently have 14 commits.  Frost had said the number is 20.  With Lee and Gates gone, we could sign 23.  Getting Dixon as a transfer would obviously decrease that number.

I think we're looking for 1 QB, 1 RB, 1 WR, 1 OL, 1 DL, 1 LB and 2 DBs.  Then possibly another WR, 1 TE, another OL and another DL depending on how the numbers work out - especially with Mapieu and Smith.  Jurgens may also end up at LB which might explain why we're still looking for TEs and help fill the numbers at LB.

Current Scholarships/Commits

QB - 2 - ADRIAN MARTINEZ, Matthew Tago, Jamarye Joiner, Cam Taylor
RB - 2 - JUCO GREG BELL, Javian Hawkins, Ta'zhawn Henry, Maurice Washington
WR - 4 - JUCO JARON WOODYARDJUSTIN McGRIFF, KATERIAN LeGRONE,  Dominick Watt, Andre Hunt, JUCO Mike Williams
TE - 1-2 - CAMERON JURGENS
OT - 1-2 - Hamilton Hall, Doug Johnson, Blake McDonald
OG/C - 1-2 - WILL FARNIOK, Jarrett Bell, Tyrone Sampson

NT - 1-2 - MASRY MAPIEU
DE - 2 - TATE WILDEMAN, Daniel Carson
LB - 2-3 - DAVID ALSTON, JUCO WILL HONAS, Javontae Jean-Baptiste
CB - 1-2 - JUCO DEONTAI WILLIAMS, Braxton Clark, Taiyon Palmer, Kendrick Torain
S - 2-3 - CJ SMITH, Cam'ron Jones, Tyrese Ross

K - 1 - BARRET PICKERING

ATH - Miles Jones

With the transfer of Vedral, I wonder if they would forgo a QB recruit.  If all the following wanted N, I don't think they would say no and that would fill us up:

RB  Maurice Washington

WR Dominick Watt, JUCO Mike WIlliams

OL Jarrett Bell

DE Daniel Carson

LB Javontae Jean-Baptiste

CB Taiyon Palmer

S    Cam'ron Jones

??  Breon Dixon

Although the above is highly unlikely, it sure would be a great job of finishing this class with some talent and filling roster needs.

18 minutes ago, yort2000 said:

With the transfer of Vedral, I wonder if they would forgo a QB recruit.  If all the following wanted N, I don't think they would say no and that would fill us up:

I would guess they'll get pretty picky and lean towards guys who could also move to a different position if necessary - Tago for sure and maybe Joiner.

22 minutes ago, yort2000 said:

RB  Maurice Washington

WR Dominick Watt, JUCO Mike WIlliams

OL Jarrett Bell

DE Daniel Carson

LB Javontae Jean-Baptiste

CB Taiyon Palmer

S    Cam'ron Jones

??  Breon Dixon

Although the above is highly unlikely, it sure would be a great job of finishing this class with some talent and filling roster needs.

If we get all that and still can get a good QB, I would assume they would tell Mapieu that he no longer has an offer so they wouldn't accept his commitment.

I never have understood why JUCO kids so often get this far into the recruiting process without getting rated.  A heck of a lot of these kids were rated to some degree out of HS.  So.....see how they did and adjust it.  OR...if they weren't rated, see how they did against actual college competition and rate them.  JUCOs are a big part of college recruiting.  It seems like so many services completely ignore them like their not interested.